1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 SLK: Standard Halogen vs Xenon Headlamps?

Discussion in 'General Mercedes-Benz Related Discussion' started by Dr Zoidberg, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Member

Your Mercedes:
    SLC43
    I'm presently considering a ex demonstrator 2012 SLK350. Fantastic spec but one thing it is missing is the lighting pack which includes Xenon headlamps. I've got those on my current car (Audi) and love them. Fantastic road light coverage.
    I notice that the standard SLK headlamps are those 'projector' style lights. I've had those on a previous car and found them pretty dim unless the lens was completely clean.
    Obviously at this time of year it's easy enough to do a late afternoon 2nd test drive when it's dark but was wondering how existing owners get on with them. Especially this time of year with roads chucking up lots of muck.
    Thanks

2. television

television Always remembered RIP

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
    Strange in this day and age that Mercedes still use halogen lamps, by using the Osram Night breaker Plus bulbs a reasonable light can be got, but still no where as good as Xenons

3. MBDevotee

MBDevotee Active Senior Members

Your Mercedes:
    53 270CDI CLK Avantguard + ML500 with LPG
    And from my experience nothing like as ridiculously expensive when the bulb goes....

Xenon bulb £80
    Ballast - £450......

No thanks never again.....