2012 SLK: Standard Halogen vs Xenon Headlamps?

Dr Zoidberg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC43
I'm presently considering a ex demonstrator 2012 SLK350. Fantastic spec but one thing it is missing is the lighting pack which includes Xenon headlamps. I've got those on my current car (Audi) and love them. Fantastic road light coverage.
I notice that the standard SLK headlamps are those 'projector' style lights. I've had those on a previous car and found them pretty dim unless the lens was completely clean.
Obviously at this time of year it's easy enough to do a late afternoon 2nd test drive when it's dark but was wondering how existing owners get on with them. Especially this time of year with roads chucking up lots of muck.
Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Strange in this day and age that Mercedes still use halogen lamps, by using the Osram Night breaker Plus bulbs a reasonable light can be got, but still no where as good as Xenons

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
And from my experience nothing like as ridiculously expensive when the bulb goes....

Xenon bulb £80
Ballast - £450......

No thanks never again.....

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom