2013 C207 roof relay position

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK230 Convertable. 2.3 litres
Hi,
I am hoping somebody can help me with the position of the fuse and relay for my 2013 E250 convertible roof which stopped working on Tuesday of this week. I have tried in the electrical section of this web site but l have not received any replies.
I have some experience of the roof electrics and hydraulics on my previous electric roof on a 2001 CLK but this is a completely different layout. Any advice would be extremely helpful. Thanks.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi
Not sure of the location of the fuse, but roof on a 207 has a control unit (probably no other relay) located behind the driver side boot paneling, if you look at the link below and select the third link from the top it shows you how to fit their SMART Top but part of that it shows the location and how to access the roof control unit, it should give at least a starting point.

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that lead Andy, as you say it’s starting point. I was wondering if a second hand unit could be tried in place of the original, although finding one might be the issue. It’s good to hear from you.
Cliff

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Andy,
Just looking at the issue with my C207 cabriolet roof, could l ask how did you know about this control unit and it’s position in the vehicle.? What l was hoping for was being able to purchase a wiring diagram for the vehicle l could then test the components as power flows through the circuit also other Mercedes cabriolet have wiring diagrams and flow charts to enable fault finding to be carried out, does anybody no where these things could be purchased or obtained for my 2013 E250 cabriolet.
Regards Cliff.

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi
I knew about this control unit as I fitted a Smart module for the roof and the PDF I linked to is the instructions for installing it.
There are wiring drawings in WIS, but can be hard to locate and you need to refer to multiple documents to make sense of them, there is also a program called MB STARFINDER (Normally found on a STAR Diagnostic PC) which has all these drawings on and include pin outs of all the connectors and pics of locations of the various units, earth points, within the car.
The only way to get WIS or STARFINDER is to install cloned software on you're PC and run it in a virtual machine environment.
I think you should be looking to run a diagnostic and see if any relevant codes are present, something else worth carrying out is to manually lower and raise the roof several times with the emergency key, as this "should" reset all the various limit switches, this use to work for my Audi A4 Cabriolet, also disassembly of the pump motor to check/clean the motor brushes was a well documented solution to non working or tired roofs, I stress I have never done this with a 207 roof motor.

Last edited:
OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks again Andy for your help, l did put the car on a £1600 Autel code reader which belongs to a friend, it’s easy to use and normally very effective. I’ve used in on a few of my previous vehicles but to no avail, no faults were present.
I think l try your idea about raising the roof by hand several times and see if the limit switches could be reset sounds easy and also won’t stretch my limited intelligence.
Once again l can only express my gratitude for your kind support and help with this matter.

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi,
With reference to the problems l'm having with my E250 cabriolet roof at present does anybody know if the rear SAM units need to be programmed to the vehicle or are they plug and play? Thanks for reading this post and any help is greatly appreciated.
Cliff.

OP
C

CLIFF SMITHSON

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi everybody especially Andy, l managed to get my roof working, l firstly tried the raising and lowering by hand of the roof to reset the limit switches. I’ve never done this before and it provided a useful training exercise from which l was able to spot some of the components on the roof system and l then moved onto the rear control unit located in the boot. I bought a tin of electrical contact spray and removed, cleaned and checked all the terminals and connectors, some did seem to be a little tarnished. This cured the problem and although l’m unsure which terminal(s) were the issue the roof is now working fine. I guess any corrosion build up would change the resistance at the terminals and prevent the switching of the supply from taking place. Hopefully this might help other owners who have roof problems. Thanks again Andy for the lead, it definitely got me looking in the correct area.
Cliff

Top Bottom