2013 Vito Auto rattling noise while driving

Jamiet1uk

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 116cdi Auto 2013
Hi, wondering if anyone can help with this.

My Vito makes a loud metallic rattling noise while driving, i noticed the following things about it:

It only does it while moving

Seems worse while accelerating, although i can still hear it if i take my foot off the gas and hit a bump in the road

Worse on worn road surfaces, for example it seems ok on a brand new smooth tarmac road

At first i thought it only happened when the engine was warm, because when driving to work in the early morning it took approx 20 minutes to start making the noise. However when not at work i did not use the van until 12pm lunchtime and it happened straight away upon driving the van. So now i am beginning to think its either time sensitive or dependent on the temperature outside.

It seems to be coming from behind the dashboard, near the casing which covers below the automatic gear lever.

i have tried all the obvious things like adjusting the fans, air con, vents, hitting plastic dashboard very hard and hurting hand :-/

I spoke to a few dealers and they said the same thing, that it will be expensive to strip the dash down, and then there is no guarantee of finding it. Also because it can only be hear while driving and its intermittent, how to check from it once the dash is stripped down as this would involve taking off the steering wheel.

When it gets loud its very intrusive, i can even hear it with the radio turned up.

I have attached a sound clip of it for you listening pleasure :)

Attachments

• Merc vito auto 2013 rattle.zip
    746.2 KB · Views: 8

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom