2014 CLA AMG Sport Buying Advice

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
I just want to be clear on how much of my car is shared or co developed by Renault. It was you that brought it up so I am asking you. :)
My CLA was first released for sale in the UK in 2019 and has the 250 engine.
Is the chassis also used on the current Renault Megane, and is my engine exclusively Mercedes?
The latter I believe it is but the former I do not know.
It has already been stated that chassis sharing is quite common among manufacturers.
This is my car.
View attachment 65158
Lovely car!

OP
S

Stirton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLA AMG Sport/2014/220 CDI
Right folks I'm now looking at a E Class 2.1 E250 CDI AMG Sport 7G-Tronic, can anyone tell me what the blank button marked with red X on the panel below is for? I'm trying to figure out what tech is missing, also what is the button to the right with question mark, is that the sun roof?

1612278565474.png

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Right folks I'm now looking at a E Class 2.1 E250 CDI AMG Sport 7G-Tronic, can anyone tell me what the blank button marked with red X on the panel below is for? I'm trying to figure out what tech is missing, also what is the button to the right with question mark, is that the sun roof?

View attachment 65202
Presumably it’s a Coupe in which case the one with the question mark looks like the “Belt Butler”. This usually automatically pushes the seat belt forward for you or your passenger to grab it but you can press this button if it doesn’t for some reason if, perhaps, you’ve been sat in the car for a while.

I have no idea what’s missing but perhaps someone with that car will know.

OP
S

Stirton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Presumably it’s a Coupe in which case the one with the question mark looks like the “Belt Butler”. This usually automatically pushes the seat belt forward for you or your passenger to grab it but you can press this button if it doesn’t for some reason if, perhaps, you’ve been sat in the car for a while.

I have no idea what’s missing but perhaps someone with that car will know.
Yea it's a coupe.

Any thoughts on buyin a CAT D damaged repaired Merc? When i try to gauge the value through WBAC etc when you put in CAT D status the car literally havles in price, is this just because WBAC don't want CAT D cars?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Not sure WBAC would take a CAT D?

OP
S

Stirton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not sure WBAC would take a CAT D?
I use WBAC as a guide to whether the car is reasonably priced or not so that if i buy a car and for whatever reason i don't like it and want a quick sale i know i can x amount from WBAC but when it comes to CAT D cars they basically price the car at half the value the seller wants which I'm presuming is because WBAC don't want the hassle of selling a CAT D car. Anyone had any experience of buying / selling a CAT D or N car?

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
50% is about right. I wouldn't want to pay more....

What's the WBAC normal price?

If we're taking a car in PX and it's a cat D we'll halve the trade value, Don't forget if the car was previously a CAT D and you had an insurance claim, the insurers payout would also be about half it's trade price.

I've never had a CAT D as sellers often seem to want almost the same money for them, and sometimes people do buy them at that, but I'd never pay near retail for one as you'll really struggle to sell it again.

Its even worse on cheaper cars - we often pay £1 for what would be a £300 - £600 car that's a cat D as it simply won't cover it's costs at auction.

OP
S

Stirton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
50% is about right. I wouldn't want to pay more....

What's the WBAC normal price?

If we're taking a car in PX and it's a cat D we'll halve the trade value, Don't forget if the car was previously a CAT D and you had an insurance claim, the insurers payout would also be about half it's trade price.

I've never had a CAT D as sellers often seem to want almost the same money for them, and sometimes people do buy them at that, but I'd never pay near retail for one as you'll really struggle to sell it again.

Its even worse on cheaper cars - we often pay £1 for what would be a £300 - £600 car that's a cat D as it simply won't cover it's costs at auction.
Yea seller wants 11k but when you go to WBAC and put in all the details and mark as CAT D they value the car under 6k, i tried to do a deal with seller at 8k as i realise that WBAC have their profit to add and the market is depressed because of covid so WBAC are offering lower values than normal but they are adamant they want near enough the full 11k which is realistically what the car is worth without CAT D status.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Walk away then, thats stupid. Just logically a CAT D car isn't worth much the same as non cat D. Call your insurer and ask them if you insure a prev CAT D car, how would they calculate their payout? I bet 50% of CAP clean would be where its at.

Pick another car, there is no shortage - c or E class yes, budget 10k, and miles up to about 50k?

A few (myself included) will have a look about for you.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Cat N - but again haven't price checked

OP
S

Stirton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Haven't price checked it, but car looks nice

Cheers but Ebay is not for me too much risk. I phoned to try and work a deal on this one just now but it's sold:

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No more risk than Autotrader???? Still just an advert

OP
S

Stirton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No more risk than Autotrader???? Still just an advert
Yea i realise that it's just an advert but i am just using the websites to find a dealer really so should anything go wrong i have at least some protection, credit card, sale of goods act, warranty etc etc. I realise no deal is perfect but i'd prefer to buy from a dealer

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Due diligence needed wherever you shop.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And eBay is 90% dealers now, many use it as their only marketplace as autotrader way too expensive

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In fact trying to find private sellers on eBay now is hard!

When you look at Autotraders prices to advertise, Its not surprising many dealers are leaving....

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Stop discounting eBay though- you'll miss half the market out. Similarly look at Motors.co.uk as well.

Gumtree as well. It should be obvious who the dealers are

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom