2015 C207 replacement grille

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
I picked up my 2015 e350 coupe last week. I’m extremely pleased with it, especially as my Jag XF had been playing up in all sorts of ways. The 9G gearbox is exceptional, and the general build quality is top class. I also love the intelligent LED lighting - how do they do that! Amazing.

The front honeycomb grille has got a 2-3 inch stone chip hole in it. I didn’t think it was obvious, but it was literally the first thing my wife noticed when she first saw the car.

Can anyone tell me how much an original part replacement would cost, new or good condition used is fine, or whether there are any high quality aftermarket grilles that look good. I would really be interested in a modern diamond pattern grille if that’s a possibility. And approx how many hours labour would this job be? (I won’t be doing it myself, unless it’s really easy).

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2929C321-F031-406D-8944-851B86D9AFD9.jpeg
    2929C321-F031-406D-8944-851B86D9AFD9.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 21

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
I picked up my 2015 e350 coupe last week. I’m extremely pleased with it, especially as my Jag XF had been playing up in all sorts of ways. The 9G gearbox is exceptional, and the general build quality is top class. I also love the intelligent LED lighting - how do they do that! Amazing.

The front honeycomb grille has got a 2-3 inch stone chip hole in it. I didn’t think it was obvious, but it was literally the first thing my wife noticed when she first saw the car.

Can anyone tell me how much an original part replacement would cost, new or good condition used is fine, or whether there are any high quality aftermarket grilles that look good. I would really be interested in a modern diamond pattern grille if that’s a possibility. And approx how many hours labour would this job be? (I won’t be doing it myself, unless it’s really easy).

Thanks!
You could be looking at around £200 plus. I recently updated mine which cost me £190 it total.

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E class coupe 350 CDI
Couple of grills here for your car, both off fleabay both £150. On my pre-facelift C207 I've just replaced my grill, did it meself, so must have been relatively easy :rolleyes:. Not to sure about your facelift C207
might be a bumper off job, try YouTube. :)
20200620_225918.jpg
20200620_225859.jpg

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Yes that’s what I’m looking for. Did you fit it yourself? Was it a big job? How does it look?
Ta.
It was easy job, little bit of plastic off, 1 bolt and a few clips. If you sent a photo of engine bay might be able to see the connectors. @SmartAmg is the man what it come to mods I'm mearly an amateur:D here's mine IMG_20200616_100504.jpg

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
It was easy job, little bit of plastic off, 1 bolt and a few clips. If you sent a photo of engine bay might be able to see the connectors. @SmartAmg is the man what it come to mods I'm mearly an amateur:D here's mine View attachment 59515
Cheers Dean, it looks great. I’ve looked at quite a few online tutorials. I think my car either needs the bumber off, or a really tough job removing the grill. Pre facelift like yours seem to be a lot easier to do. I don’t fancy doing it myself to be honest, but if these third party grilles are decent I’ll invest in one and get my usual mechanic to fit it. Does your grille feel solid, and do you think the chrome paint will keep its shine over the years?

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Cheers Dean, it looks great. I’ve looked at quite a few online tutorials. I think my car either needs the bumber off, or a really tough job removing the grill. Pre facelift like yours seem to be a lot easier to do. I don’t fancy doing it myself to be honest, but if these third party grilles are decent I’ll invest in one and get my usual mechanic to fit it. Does your grille feel solid, and do you think the chrome paint will keep its shine over the years?
It it seems good quality. I had to add a mesh to the back or it as it was quite open and a big ish stone could of easily gone through.

Mujja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C207 2016 E350

Thanks!

Same car and year as mine which I bought this weekend :) Did you find one with the premium pack, adds the keyless option which I'm loving.

How bad is the chip, would a bit of paint conceal it? I wouldn't want to be removing bodywork in case it leads to other issues, just enjoy the car for now.

I haven't had a chance to drive the car in the dark yet. I waited for months to find a car with the right spec and ILS was at the top of the list. Changed jobs towards the end of last year which includes some travel to customer locations. After years of walking to work, driving down unfamiliar B roads at 6am in the dark was a scary experience. I'll be prepared this winter :)

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Hi good to hear from you. I specifically went out for a night drive just to test the ILS - it was amazing, and will make a real difference driving on those horrible wet winter nights. My Jag had a similar feature, but that was really just automatic full beam. If there was a car in front of you, or traffic coming towards you, the full beam switched off. With the ILS, full beam stays on, but somehow it doesn't dazzle the cars in front. It's amazing! I didn't get the keyless feature - my Jag had this, and I'm still struggling getting used to having to use the key/fob again. First world problems eh?

The damage to my grille is more than a chip - a section of the plastic upper grille has gone altogether. It's only a couple of inches, and it's a black hole in a section of black grille, so I barely noticed it when I bought the car. A new stock grille is going to cost me about £279 plus fitting, so I'm going to see if I can pick up a good condition second hand one, and then at some point I'll get my mechanic to fit it for me. But you're right, there's no rush.

Mujja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C207 2016 E350
Maybe someone with a 3D printer can print the missing section or a piece of black lego :)

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe someone with a 3D printer can print the missing section or a piece of black lego :)
Post a close up pic of the hole in the grill. :)

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
Ok, this is my grille, the hole is lower edge, left of centre..
View attachment 59625
...and these are some pics of a replacement grille found on Ebay, which is a lot less than the £279 a new part would cost. But, it's also damaged. It has three of its retaining clips missing. Does anyone know whether this grille can be fettled or glued, screwed etc to make it fit? Or am I going to end up replacing a grille with a hole in it, with a grille which keeps falling off?
Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 12.26.18.png

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
From that pic of the hole, it's
not very noticeable, don't get me wrong it needs sorting, if that was mine it would have to be sorted, personally I wouldn't buy another grill that's also damaged with clips missing, I'd go for a brand new after market grill which will come with all the clips intact for about £150, unless you can find a better 2nd hand grill that's not damaged.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
From that pic of the hole, it's
not very noticeable, don't get me wrong it needs sorting, if that was mine it would have to be sorted, personally I wouldn't buy another grill that's also damaged with clips missing, I'd go for a brand new after market grill which will come with all the clips intact for about £150, unless you can find a better 2nd hand grill that's not damaged.
ok cheers. the damaged grille is on Ebay for around £100, but the seller seems very keen to get rid and I was thinking of offering him £50. Do you think there's any chance of a decent mechanic getting it to fit, or is it definitely one to avoid?

SmartAmg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ok cheers. the damaged grille is on Ebay for around £100, but the seller seems very keen to get rid and I was thinking of offering him £50. Do you think there's any chance of a decent mechanic getting it to fit, or is it definitely one to avoid?
Personally I'd avoid, but it's up to you. :)

Mujja

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C207 2016 E350
How about searching around for a car breaker who has a car with the same grill in stock. With a small saw you could cut out a piece and glue it on to yours. Or do the same with the one from eBay.

OP
micky.

micky.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 AMG Line Coupe 2015
How about searching around for a car breaker who has a car with the same grill in stock. With a small saw you could cut out a piece and glue it on to yours. Or do the same with the one from eBay.
Cheers, I'll definitely give that some thought.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Why replace a damaged grille with another damaged grille and pay for the privilege?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom