1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2018 AMG A Class locks keys in car - MB say this is normal!

Discussion in 'Electrics, Vacuum, Ignition and ECU' started by SallyD&D, Oct 9, 2019.

1. SallyD&D

SallyD&D New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    A-Class A 180 d '68
    I am just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue with the new A Class? I have had the car since Sep 18 and have had this happen a handful of times. My thinking is that the car should sense the key is there and allow the car to be unlocked by the handles if accidently locked by swiping the door handle (kids etc!). My car has been in with my local dealership and after initially being tol it as a known fault I have now been told that MB have said it is the standard operation. An email today states:

"It is possible and normal to be able to lock the keys in the car. The behaviour was changed with the introduction of DAS4 so only the driver’s door and the door where the lock command comes from need to be closed. By inadvertently operating the keyless lock sensor on the handle on the door it can be locked as it is closed. This is no defect in the sense of warranty. Unfortunately this is confirmation that a key can be locked in the vehicle and that as there are no component failures in this case"

The Customer Service rep I spoke to prior to this email told me that they 'do not have the technology' to sense the key is in the car - I said I find that hard to believe as that's the whole point of Keyless Go! He also said if the the key is inside my bag on the front seat the car won't sense it - which it does, every day!

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. PovertySpec

PovertySpec Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDi 07/57
    Park it right outside their main gate on Monday am so nobody can leave or enter the premises.

Leave it to self lock itself with the key in the car.

Then tell them it's a feature not a fault.

3. ajlsl600

ajlsl600 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything,A class 170cdi auto
    as above.!!!!!! sounds like boxxoxxs to me. half the time dealers dont seem to understand their own product,meantime ensure spare somewhere away from car .....

maybe u get them to knock out front and P/S front windows and you dukes of hazzard enter !! nuts...
    previous reply best idea..by far...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  4. Tony Dyson

Tony Dyson Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
    Handcuff the kids! :D

5. CJD

CJD Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    C200 AMG Line, Premium Plus, S205 Estate, 2018
    After reading this, out of curiosity I've just been out to my car.
    In my case it is impossible to lock the car from outside, by either using the boot remote button or by touching the door handle if the keys are inside the car.

Wighty likes this.
  6. Srdl

Srdl Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253) Premium Plus
    I haven’t tried to lock my keys in the car but I did the opposite the other day. I leant through the open window to turn the ignition on (wanted to use my tyre inflator plugged into the 12v socket) and it said no key detected. I had to place the key on the drivers seat before I could get the ignition to turn on. So it definitely knew whether the key was inside our just outside.

That said, when we are away on holiday, there is always the spare key in Mrs L's handbag and sometimes she leaves her bag in the boot and I have no problem locking the car then.

Wighty likes this.
  7. Tony Dyson

Tony Dyson Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
    What does your Owners Manual say about it, there should be a description of operation in there?

jp williams likes this.
  8. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 02 R230 SL500 (Malcolm Spec), 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Utter rubbish. Our 2002 SL can sense the key in the car or boot and refuse to lock.

9. EmilysDad

EmilysDad Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    ML350
    Even Emily's keyless Yaris can sense the key is inside ... as above, surely that's the whole point!

10. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    On ALL MBs I have tested (including W205), if equipped with Keyless, it does not let you lock the car key inside the car. The dashboard says "Key in vehicle".

If you put the key in the boot and press the "close boot and lock" button, the boot closes, pauses then re-opens.

Not only does the car know that the key is inside the car, it knows exactly where inside the car is (this information can be brought up on the diagnostic kit)

om613 and Srdl like this.
  11. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    if its one of these modern keys that's awake when moved and if left to goes to sleep, no car will know its there... unless the car keeps it awake and then we'll soon have a flat battery

12. alexanderfoti

alexanderfoti MBO Forum Supporter Authorised Forum Supporter

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
    but unless the key is left in the car, with the car unlocked for 5 minutes then locked, it shouldnt be a problem?

13. 00slk

00slk Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 SL500 2009 SLK350
    I try not to leave my key in the car, even if I get out to open the garage door or even working on it, my old Bentley taught me that lesson when it self locked and it wasn't a feature. AA Man to the Rescue :D

14. Botus

Botus Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    S500/2010/500
    agree