203 wing mirror repeater warning problems

discover

Reaction score
I bought my 2002 W203 270CDI estate with the driver's wing repeater smashed. This earlier car had the type with the small bulbs in. I bought some LED conversion ones from eBay,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350165543692&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

These look great and were fine for a while but first the warning started coming up for repeater right check lamp, then now the left one is also doing the same, which is highly annoying. The repeaters at all times are working fully.

I even did away with the multiplugs and soldered the wires together in case of any voltage drop but the problem still persists.

I wondered, is there a way of disabling the lamp checking on the car for these repeaters? Or a way to desensitise it? Or could I maybe mount a 1/4w resistor in series to simulate greater load and hence make the car believe the bulb type is fitted? What rating would you recommend?

The seller seems reluctant to refund and thinks it is my car at fault, and as I said, I like the appearance.

Any recommendations gladly received.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The resistor if fitted would have to be the same wattage as the sum of the 3 bulbs or more,,it would need to be wire wound and it will get hot,but not much of a problem as they are only flashing for short periods

OP
D

discover

Reaction score
Thanks for that, do you think 10w would be sufficient then? (Just been looking at Maplin website!) What resistance?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for that, do you think 10w would be sufficient then? (Just been looking at Maplin website!) What resistance?

Only be knowing the wattage of the lamps in the repeater can you work it out. you could check this with an ammeter and the old unit across a 12v supply

OP
D

discover

Reaction score
Right, I measured the original bulb type repeater lamp. This consumed 0.93A and had a resistance of 1.6 ohms. Therefore I deduced that at 14v this would be about 14w. Given the intermittent nature of the flashing light I thought a 10w wire wound resistor woul dbe sufficient, they're in Maplin for 46p each. Since I have hard wired the LED conversions I can't measure their present resistance without cutting the wiring again. So I did some experimentation. The resistor was wired to short out the lamp.

A 1 ohm resistor resulted in only very faint flashing from the LEDs.

A 0.22 ohm resistor resulted in no flashing at all.

Would I be correct in saying therefore that a higher resistor would force more current through the LEDs, making them work, and also give sufficient resistance to stop the failure warning showing? The next step up available after 1 ohm is 2.3 ohms. Excuse my layman's electronics!

I'd just love to sort this, and even though they're not expensive be nice not to end up with more resistors than Maplin! An interesting point is that the warning only happens on the first start of the day or after the car has been stood for hours. It is almost as if the units are on the absolute limit of not triggering the warning message and making the indicators flash fast.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Something wrong with your figures.

1.6 Ω would draw 8.75 amps

The 1 amp draw could be correct.

The LED will be 4 x 3.6 volt wired in series , they consume 30ma roughly but could be the 20ma type

Now you are only dealing with the difference in consumption, and not the total. I would use a WW pot to determine the value. I will check my stock in the morning to see what I have,and I will post again in the morning

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom