211 Geometry

jberks

Senior Member
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
11,145
Reaction score
23
Location
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Guys,
I had my front tracking done a couple of weeks ago. Not thrilled with the results TBH - seems to tramline more and the wheel isn't straight but...
At the same time, I swapped the front and rear tyres due to the inside edge of the fronts being badly worn. The rears appeared to be evenly worn as far as I could tell, though I have known it to do the same to the rears so maybe the inside edge was a little bit down. Anyway, looked at my front tyres last night after 750 miles in place and the inner edges are showing obvious signs of accelerated wear so I suspect she's still doing it.

Maybe the rears are wearing the inside slightly but I suspect the fronts are hammering them. it's always done it to some extent but normally its only become visible towards the end of the tyre's life. This time, after 12,000 miles, I've ended up with >5mm tread across 90% and 0 on the remaining 10%. Had I left it much longer I'd be replacing really good tyres.
It needs sorting.

Ideally I'd visit Wheels in Motion but they're too far away and there must be someone decent more local. I've found a local guy with an Optiflex setup and there's another place with a Hunter setup http://www.pro-align.co.uk

So to my questions -
whats better - Hunter or Optiflex?
and as I want it fully going through, including the rear's propensity to wreck inside edges,
Is a 2004 211 rear adjustable from the factory, will I need some parts or is he going to tell me that its out but theres nothing he can do?
 

Blobcat

Moderator
Joined
Feb 8, 2006
Messages
30,193
Reaction score
15,575
Location
Grange Moor
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Mine did this until I had the camber fixed at Mercedes (£115.36 inc the bolts) My tyre dealer couldn't do it as he didn't have the 4 wheel alignment equipment. Mercedes did my a deal on the price and since my last tyres covered 34,793 miles and wear evenly it obviously worked.
 
OP
jberks

jberks

Senior Member
Joined
May 12, 2004
Messages
11,145
Reaction score
23
Location
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
Thanks - I suspect I'll need some bolts too but from memory the last time i asked MB for an alignment check (on my 210) they quoted me over £200. If I could get them to sort it through thoroughly for £100 I'd go for it. May be worth a phone call....
 

rpe2

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2006
Messages
2,863
Reaction score
2
Age
44
Location
Silchester
Your Mercedes
His: 2018 E220 d; Hers: 2016 SMAX
Contact Wheels in Motion. I know not near you, but they may know of someone local..
 
A

andy@pcd-ltd

Guest
Sorry to hi jck the thread. I need to find somewhere to wheel alignment done on an SL 65 amg as it has been to a few places and it still pulls to the left. I have seen that wheelsin motion have been mentioned a few times now. My question is how good are they have people on here used them before.

I need to get this right this time as he is a big client of mine and its his personal car and has spent a fortune on getting it done at various other places and still its not fixed
 


The SL SHOP YOUR ONE STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS SL, SERVICE & RESTORE, SALES, HIRE & PARTS
Choose from a wide range of superbly prepared SL’s each with a 12 month guarantee. We can service, update, re-trim, restore and repaint your 107 SL.
Choose from a 6 or 8 cylinder car for the day, the weekend, a month or a year. Contact us for a wide range of parts. Tel: 0844 414 2116 or visit our website atwww.theSLshop.com
Top Bottom