230k SLK 98 autogearbox dipstick

bjg7

Reaction score
can someone tell me where the gearbox dipstick is on my slk?? i've looked for it everywhere!!!

also i was giving the car a bit of a hammering earlier and when it changed up at high revs(near redline) on the change up there whas a 1-2second high pitch sqeek..... im sure it came from gear box

tried it 3 more time but it only done it once!?!?!? any ideas??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Most Mercedes Autobox dipsticks are in the Dealerships :rolleyes:. Not the best place for them but as they say the boxes are sealed for life they don't fit one.
If you car has never had the ATF replaced then if would be worth having it changed. Parrot of Doom has written an excellent guide on this forum for the the W210 'E' however your gearbox (if 5 speed auto) will most likely be the same. Pls have a search.

OP
B

bjg7

Reaction score
Blobcat said:
Most Mercedes Autobox dipsticks are in the Dealerships :rolleyes:. Not the best place for them but as they say the boxes are sealed for life they don't fit one.
If you car has never had the ATF replaced then if would be worth having it changed. Parrot of Doom has written an excellent guide on this forum for the the W210 'E' however your gearbox (if 5 speed auto) will most likely be the same. Pls have a search.

so the transmission oil does not need changing??

whats the ATF??

OP
B

bjg7

Reaction score
bjg7 said:
so the transmission oil does not need changing??

whats the ATF??

auto transmission fluid??

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Appologies, yes ATF = Auto Transmission Fluid or Auto gearbox oil.
As some boxes have been failing within the warranty period MB are starting to recommend gearbox oil changes. However my dealer knew nothing about this when I asked for it to be changed. From mid 2000 the Torque converter drain plug was dropped so I can only change 4lts out of the 7ltrs which I had done recently. However a new gearbox oil filter was fitted and as 4/7ths of the ATF is new it is better than it was. I only did it for prevention as my box is perfect. As yours is now 8 yrs old it would be worth having it changed. Pls ensure that the correct MB specification ATF is used otherwise you could end up with a box worse than before.

OP
B

bjg7

Reaction score
what i have read on here Redline ATF is the stuff to use....

its a 5speed auto.... if MB say they are sealed for life its unlikely there tell me how to change the gear box oil...... can you recommend any where, where i can the info from??

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom