230TE Exhaust support bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keith.potter

When I purchased my 230TE (102 engine) the u-bolt was missing from the transmission support bracket. I replaced the u-bolt this weekend but had to remove it again because once the exhaust was secure, there was a terrible noise through the car. I suspect this may be the reason the u-bolts had been removed in the first place. I don't like to leave the exhaust unsupported - but what can I do? Has anyone had a similar experience with a 124 exhaust?
Keith

NormanB

Reaction score
Keith

That support is certainly needed.

I am no expert but suspect that the whole exhaust system run is misaligned somehow and pulling 'it back' with clamp is causing it to resonate.

I think the only solution is to get it up in the air again and try to re-hang it, ensuring all the right hangars are in good nick and utilised.

NormanB

PS: Just saw your update on the mounts post. This could be the key. If the exhaust system was fitted when the mounts were in a 'collapsed'state then this could have put strain on the exhaust run - hence resonating/noise.

TimN

Reaction score
Unless you know the history just check to see that there is a twin flexible downpipe from the manifold to the centre box. You mension a single U bolt but then correct yourself to bolts suggesting 2 so I suspect that you do have the right exhaust pipe. I am trying to recall whether the pipe does actually have a single u bolt bent in an M shape.

The brackets that attach the pipe to the gear box are subject to corrosion and can only be replaced with an original MB part. It's been a while since I changed my exhaust but I think that the bracket attaches to the gear box with rubber gromits and metal inserts. Any MB dealer will fax you and exploded parts diagram.

Chances are the rear box is not on properly. Look to see that the tail pipe is pointing directly at the road the final bend should be parralel to the road.

OP
K

keith.potter

230TE Exhaust

Thanks Tim,

I am going to check all those points you have mentioned, as soon as it gets warm & dry again, because I have to work outside. I already know that the bracket is original MB, but the rubber grommets look worn. I think I should be able to buy replacements. I will then take the exhaust off and refit it.
Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom