25 Year Old Insurance on GLA45

Jake Phillips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA45 2018
Hello everyone, my insurance is up for renewal on the 20th March, 2021. I own a 2018 GLA45 Premium and I currently have 6 points. My previous insurance company Hastings will not insure me anymore due to getting another 3 points which I’m shocked about. Any other AMG drivers like to share what companies they use? Thanks Jake

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
You may have to use a speciality insurer like Adrian Flux.
Having 9 points doesn't make you a model driver and whoever you get insurance with, its going to cost you.

It won't help you but I'm currently insured with Tesco.
Remapped E63 Biturbo fully Comprehensive for £331 pa.

OP
J

Jake Phillips

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLA45 2018
Was supposed to say 6 points in total, I had 3 points then when added 3 more it went to 6 and that is where Hastings wouldn’t renew my policy.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Not so bad, but still halfway to a ban:(

Try Google as above.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
OP dont be too offended but there are other insurance companies in the world.
Look at at from the perspective of the insurance co. You are a liability and they are a business. They simply dont want to serve you as you may end up costing them more than they will make from you, yiung driver, high performance car, a few points on the board.
As mentioned get on a few comparison sites, if all else fails then get your push bike out.
Oh and note insurance co's always ask if hou have been refused insurance when quoting.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
OP dont be too offended but there are other insurance companies in the world.
Look at at from the perspective of the insurance co. You are a liability and they are a business. They simply dont want to serve you as you may end up costing them more than they will make from you, yiung driver, high performance car, a few points on the board.
As mentioned get on a few comparison sites, if all else fails then get your push bike out.
Oh and note insurance co's always ask if you have been refused insurance when quoting.

Was supposed to say 6 points in total, I had 3 points then when added 3 more it went to 6 and that is where Hastings wouldn’t renew my policy.

And that you may find as big a negative as your points sadly. :(

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
You may be better off selling the GLA45 and getting a cheaper insurance group car for a while.......

sad but you will get hammered for a premium on it.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Just to be clear on the refusal point, is that just refused to provide a quote when it was coming up to renewal or refused to insure you as soon as you got the additional points? in the insurance industry there is a fine line between the two and a big difference on who will insure you and at what cost. Either way it’s going to a big hike in premiums for you I’m afraid

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
A Plan Insurance are always worth a try in these situations. I've been with them for years on and off as they're especially good on customised and high performance stuff.

They beat everyone elses quotes when I had a very modified E63 and even came through with a Classic Car policy for me when I had my 190E 24v.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
Just to be clear on the refusal point, is that just refused to provide a quote when it was coming up to renewal or refused to insure you as soon as you got the additional points?
I wondered about this myself, because as we know it is always a question when requesting a new quote.
The OP has indeed been "refused insurance" because his existing insurer has refused to offer a renewal quote.
If when he got the additional points his insurance company immediately stopped insuring him, this would not be a refusal but a cancellation. This definitely does happen but would usually be for reasons other than gaining additional points - non disclosure or fraud for example.
Going forward this refusal will need to be declared or that could be non disclosure.

One this is for sure and as you say....it is going to cost!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I wondered about this myself, because as we know it is always a question when requesting a new quote.
The OP has indeed been "refused insurance" because his existing insurer has refused to offer a renewal quote.
If when he got the additional points his insurance company immediately stopped insuring him, this would not be a refusal but a cancellation. This definitely does happen but would usually be for reasons other than gaining additional points - non disclosure or fraud for example.
Going forward this refusal will need to be declared or that could be non disclosure.

One this is for sure and as you say....it is going to cost!
Not every company will give a quote for insurance, that doesn't mean you've been refused insurance. It just means they chose not to provide a quote.

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Not every company will give a quote for insurance, that doesn't mean you've been refused insurance. It just means they chose not to provide a quote.
Your present isurance company will always provide a renewal quote whether you ask for it or not. In the OPs case they have refused to provide a renewal quote because they do not want his business anymore.

What is your definition of being refused insurance?
Before you answer have a look at this page specifically under "Refuse insurance"

Last edited:

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Your present isurance company will always provide a renewal quote whether you ask for it or not. In the OPs case they have refused to provide a renewal quote because they do not want his business anymore.

Before you answer have a look at this page specifically under "Refuse insurance"
Specifically says:
“...If you’ve been refused insurance, it means you’ve either had a claim rejected, or your insurer has refused to offer you a renewal quote....

....If you’ve ever had insurance refused you have to declare it when you take out new insurance.”

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Specifically says:
“...If you’ve been refused insurance, it means you’ve either had a claim rejected, or your insurer has refused to offer you a renewal quote....

....If you’ve ever had insurance refused you have to declare it when you take out new insurance.”
Yes i know this, I was just asking Blobcat for his definition because he disagreed with my original post.

It seems like you are agreeing with me, thank you. :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

What I was referring to was not every insurance company will quote you and that doesn't mean you've been refused.
Your current insurance company choosing not to give you a renewal is an issue... however you could always ask for a proof of no claims bonus then ask to cancel the insurance before the insurance runs out then start a new policy a few days later (assuming you have off-street parking) ;)

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What I was referring to was not every insurance company will quote you and that doesn't mean you've been refused.
Yes of course I agree, but my post was in direct connection to the OP.
The situation we are dealing with in this thread is the current insurance company refusing to provide a renewal...I knew this so worded my reply appropriately.
You quoted my post then appeared to disagree with what I had said....this was my interpretation anyway.
It seems now that you were not disagreeing with me but simply adding further information.

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Your current insurance company choosing not to give you a renewal is an issue... however you could always ask for a proof of no claims bonus then ask to cancel the insurance before the insurance runs out then start a new policy a few days later (assuming you have off-street parking) ;)

Yes but as said I fear the OP needs to disclose this refusal (I don't know if companies either keep a record or worse on a central database).

Failure to disclose will mean that they will probably insure him, because they won't check - but then invalidate that insurance if there was a claim using the "failure to disclose" criteria otherwise.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Yes but as said I fear the OP needs to disclose this refusal (I don't know if companies either keep a record or worse on a central database).

Failure to disclose will mean that they will probably insure him, because they won't check - but then invalidate that insurance if there was a claim using the "failure to disclose" criteria otherwise.

Yes and thas why they also record the calls when you are getting a quote. Nothing to with training, its fraud tracking.
Before ins cos pay out they make sure they can get out of it first. Its all a liability game.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom