3 month old GLC issue.

2mercs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 Cdi AMG Sport Cabriolet
Evening Ladies.

I have just had a bit of a result this week.

Got the GLC, spankers, on 23rd Dec 2017. Within the first couple of days we noticed that when reversing on full lock it "skipped" as Mercedes called it. It didn't skip.....it shuddered and shook more than an old hookers mains powered vibrator. It was appalling. So. Got in contact with the Dealer Principle of Salisbury Mercedes. There was an abundance of emails.....taking an awful lot of my time. They arranged to get the car in to be diagnosed. So off my wife went several weeks ago. They diag'd that the tyres were not gripping under a certain temp. I don't know if that was though. Then they said they were fitting winter tyres. I then complained that in the summer winter tyres were no good etc etc. I asked for some kind of apology to my wife from them for wasting our family time......

......She got a massive bunch of flowers yesterday and they have agreed to pay for 4 services. Four!!!!!

It's worth sending 40+ emails and spending 2 months sorting this out.

Result.

Peace out

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Evening Ladies.

I have just had a bit of a result this week.

Got the GLC, spankers, on 23rd Dec 2017. Within the first couple of days we noticed that when reversing on full lock it "skipped" as Mercedes called it. It didn't skip.....it shuddered and shook more than an old hookers mains powered vibrator. It was appalling. So. Got in contact with the Dealer Principle of Salisbury Mercedes. There was an abundance of emails.....taking an awful lot of my time. They arranged to get the car in to be diagnosed. So off my wife went several weeks ago. They diag'd that the tyres were not gripping under a certain temp. I don't know if that was though. Then they said they were fitting winter tyres. I then complained that in the summer winter tyres were no good etc etc. I asked for some kind of apology to my wife from them for wasting our family time......

......She got a massive bunch of flowers yesterday and they have agreed to pay for 4 services. Four!!!!!

It's worth sending 40+ emails and spending 2 months sorting this out.

Result.

Peace out
So...Is that you stuck with winter tyres for the next 4 years or whenever you get fed up with it?

Ernie

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
I'm a bit more concerned about their diagnosis!

Tyres not gripping would just spin and not produce a shudder.

A shudder on full lock suggests to me drivetrain wind-up... as if the diffs are locking.

(Or potentially I suppse one or both front tyres fouling bodywork or suspension/chassis).

Any unusual wear on inside edge of tyres?

Alfie

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.comand.co.uk
Your Mercedes
A150 manual, smart forTwo, W205 AMG line premium plus.
This is a very well known and documented issue. Im surprised the dealer didnt pick up on it straight away.

Many many customers have had their tyres replaced for free to resolve the issue.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
The dealer would certainly know about this - maybe that's why they've agreed to the free services? I certainly haven't heard of anyone else being 'compensated' like that.

Generally the cars have been fitted with replacement All-Season tyres, not Winters.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As Alfie said this is a well documented issue with GLCs. The issue is that the chamber and Ackerman angles in the car are not as they could be following the adaptations to RHD by Mercedes. This causes a full lock misalignment of the wheels which coupled to the high camber angles cause the tyre to lose traction. Use of a different tyre hides the issue but could still suffer from rapid tyre wear.

OP
2mercs

2mercs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 E250 Cdi AMG Sport Cabriolet
Cheers for the replies.

I just read my initial post. They said they were fitting winter tyres....I complained.....and they fit all season tyres.

I only think they may have compensated my wife because I have bought 5 cars off them since 2012 and my father has had two also.

Got to say though that it hasn't done it this week.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom