300se wont idle.

elbow

Reaction score
I have a W126 300se.
A few weeks ago after it was layed up for a few days it started to feel a bit lumpy on accelaterion but was fine over 1500/2000 rpm. Then it went back to normal later that day. Drove it a few times more and no problems at all.
After being layed up for a few days I started it up and away I went no bother..pulled into petrol station 2 miles from house,while in queue for petrol it died. I thought it just ran out of petrol so pushed it to the pump and put some go go juice in it. It wouldn't start but wanted to...The neddle on rev counter was jumping upto 3000..I gave up and called RAC. The chap arrived and reckoned it was the fuel injection pump that packed up.
This was 4 days ago. I tried 2 days ago to start it again. It started but wont idle. If I keep the revs up it runs but lay of trottle it just dies.
Any clues please?
Cheers

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Possibly a vac line coupling has perrished. I know from bitter experience on a 190 that if there is a perrished coupling the engine will run at about 3000rpm, but no less. The couplings are made of rubber and are prone to perrishing. Hope that helps

jetblack

Reaction score
300se

Mine done the same, it turned out to be a rubber pipe which was located below the inlet manifold, this was pushed back in and it ran as normal, but it was awkward to get my big hands on it.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Don't forget that the OVP relay can cause similar problems, 1990- was not good years for them and were badly soldered.

Malcolm

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom