320 CLS mpg

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Sounds like a good plan Steve it saves you money too.
Just seen the ad for the 220 it looks very nice.

Thanks. Its on my work, the other forum and there. I cant be f***ed with autotrader as you get all the half wits of the day phoning up and time wasters and I just cant be bothered with all that grief.

I am also quite attached to the car, its seen me through redundancy, getting a new job, break up with the GF and part of me doesn't want to let it go. At the very least I want it to go to someone who will get as much pleasure and happiness from it that I have, hence hoping it goes to someone on the forum. I am not just saying this as its my car, but is in A1 knick and hasnt given a moments trouble. Its worth the asking price IMHO.

What do you get for student loans, perhaps if I havent sold it it may do you, very nice 1st car ;-)

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
The saloon is better, the boot is massive and more refined and has the subwoofer in the parcel shelf.

Trust me, its just what you need....

I do think the saloon is a lot nicer and I would have a saloon over an estate, but I need the room for my 'leccy chair. :(
It is what I need better then the Barry Boy Corsas, my friend in Italian has a white A class he has good taste. :D

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I dont know anything about disabilities I must add so wont comment too much but I assume you mean the chair would go in the estate boot and you upfront with handcontrols?

Would it not fit into a saloon cars boot, can it be collapsed or not?

Genuinely curious, I know a lot of motability users go for A classes, SUVS etc. Is that the reason?

A B class would be good, and once your career is underway, an R class might have deprciated to give you big car motoring as its clear thats probably the way you'll go.

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
I dont know anything about disabilities I must add so wont comment too much but I assume you mean the chair would go in the estate boot and you upfront with handcontrols?

Would it not fit into a saloon cars boot, can it be collapsed or not?

Genuinely curious, I know a lot of motability users go for A classes, SUVS etc. Is that the reason?

A B class would be good, and once your career is underway, an R class might have deprciated to give you big car motoring as its clear thats probably the way you'll go.

Yeah I would like the chair to go in the back and me in the front, hopefully I won't be needing hand controls also means I won't be stuck with several gen's of Viano.
My chair is pretty complex it can raise and recline (good infront of the telly ;)) It could come apart but would take a while not great in the rain. :(
Yes it suprising to see a lot go for A's and B's but most have manual chairs or one that has a simple motor. (horrible things)
Not sure about a B I've never really looked at them, an R class seems like a good choice a niche car but I like it.
I also thought about a W212 estate its very capacious and I'm sure I could get a nice 250 CDi Sport in my mid 20's once my careers in full swing.

christopherwk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 E220d SE
Think of all the fuel you'd save, wanna buy mine?

Headroom is quite important, but if you have access to an estate still thats ok. For your line of business I'd be looking at another 211 with a V6, an R class (potentially), an S class. An S class will get 35mpg easily on the journeys you describe and is so well appointed and luxurious its what I'd opt for.

Hmm, I know mine is piling on the miles, but it'll last quite a long while yet! :D

When I sat in the back of a CLS in a showroom my head was touching the roof, and I'm about average height. Having someone taller than me with a craned neck for a two hour journey or so isn't going to be very comfortable!

Did the OP stated his budget was £18k? The W221 CDi may still be out of that price range, but you could get a nice W220 for that though. R-Class is within reach, but wouldn't a Viano/Vito be more spacious and practical (even though it's a van?

Personally, as st4 mentioned, I'd have a W211 E320CDi facelift with the V6. An S-Class? I suppose it depends if your customers demand it. If I was a fare-paying passenger I wouldn't pay any extra to be picked up in an S rather than an E, but if an S came along, I wouldn't complain! :-D

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Chris, your car will run and run, that I6 is proven. Your car is loaded, mine is quite a contrast to that. But its got a lot less miles on it and will be a lot less sore on fuel but not as rapid or smooth.

MB partsman

Reaction score
When I sat in the back of a CLS in a showroom my head was touching the roof, and I'm about average height. Having someone taller than me with a craned neck for a two hour journey or so isn't going to be very comfortable!

I am just under 6ft, but taller in the torso than legs, and find getting in the rear of a CLS difficult, and once I'm in (normally with a fresh headache - damn those C posts) I feel very claustrophobic, something I dont normally suffer from!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
See you talking about the "R" class Michael, great car, really under sold, such a good motor, had 2 of them, loved them both!!!!!

OP
S

Steve Taxi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W222
Just had a look at S Class prices and I dont think its an option, forgot to mention that we have an 8 year maximum age limit imposed by the council, I need to look at cars no more than 5 years old so I can run it for 3 more, I need to get hold of a CLS for a day and make a decision, could be the E320 cdi is the one I might end up with.

Speedmaster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 55 AMG
I find the CLS very practical and the boot is pretty impressive. Plus you can have 4 reasonably tall people in the car at once and in great comfort. You do need to remind them to duck getting into the back though.

Mind you, the E-Class would be better for a taxi and you could probably get a newer one for the money.

If you do get the CLS, I would avoid the 55 AMG, it likes a drink and the £1800 service bills are a touchy subject ;)

Dringo

Reaction score
Website
gwoa.co.uk
Your Mercedes
190E > G230 > C240T > SL320 > CLK320 > A180CDi > E320CDi > E350Cdi > G350Bluetec
Just an aside from a sad A class owner - my A180CDi struggles to get 40mpg. Over 17k miles it has in fact averaged 41mpg, but on a motorway run, up to 90ish, it will only really sustain 36-38mpg. I've never seen it register 50mpg, but it must get close on really sedate runs! I really must try it, but I don't have the patience.

Really disappointed in the fuel economy and quality of the A class diesel.

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
Just an aside from a sad A class owner - my A180CDi struggles to get 40mpg. Over 17k miles it has in fact averaged 41mpg, but on a motorway run, up to 90ish, it will only really sustain 36-38mpg. I've never seen it register 50mpg, but it must get close on really sedate runs! I really must try it, but I don't have the patience.

Really disappointed in the fuel economy and quality of the A class diesel.

Theres your problem, you can easily get 50mpg or more out of an A180 but doing 90 on the motorway, I wouldn't expect anything to be very fuel efficent.
Cut the speed to 70-75 or so and things will improve if not it could be something more serious.

rothbury

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Boxster S Mini Cooper E250cdi estate 2013
Theres your problem, you can easily get 50mpg or more out of an A180 but doing 90 on the motorway, I wouldn't expect anything to be very fuel efficent.
Cut the speed to 70-75 or so and things will improve if not it could be something more serious.

Despite appearances not a true Northener! Should be "bloke on t'internet"!

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom