320 estate

moonrabbit

Reaction score
:D

Hi, I have started to hear a squeaky noise when I turn into my driveway. Its on the front drivers side. It squeaks as you turn the steering wheel. Does anybody have any ideas?
Thank you

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
What's the age and mileage of the car?

I'd hazard a guess that it's a front balljoint about to fail. You tend to hear them when going over speed humps or turning over crests or in dips

If it's a balljoint I wouldn't drive it again till it's been replaced. And I'd do both sides at the same time

Of course, it could just be the slip rings on the steering wheel making a noise!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Last edited:
OP
M

moonrabbit

Reaction score
hi, thanks for your advice, the squeaking noise is outside and like an eee eee noise (woman's logic for you!), how can we investigate for ourselves, what shall we look for. I'm really grateful for all the advice, thank you somuch everybody:)

OP
M

moonrabbit

Reaction score
What's the age and mileage of the car?

I'd hazard a guess that it's a front balljoint about to fail. You tend to hear them when going over speed humps or turning over crests or in dips

If it's a balljoint I wouldn't drive it again till it's been replaced. And I'd do both sides at the same time

Of course, it could just be the slip rings on the steering wheel making a noise!

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Hi Nick,
The noise seems to be only noticeable when swinging into parking spaces, driveway etc, the steering has always squawked when on full lock and has done for yonks. Does this clarify anything atall?!

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom