4 Speed Autobox - queries - What is "2" supposed to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougE280

Reaction score
The handbook for my 1995 E280 4 speed says "2" locks the transmission in second for starting in snow etc.
However on my car, when the selector is in "2" the car starts in first and will not change into second at any speed. However when "2" in selected whilst driving, it changes down to second and changes down to first when I stop the car. It then starts again locked into first.
Otherwise the transmission is excellent - quiet and smooth.  Is there a fault / quirk  -  or have I misread the handbook!
Also, for a largish engine, I am surprised how low the top gear is. 3000RPM = 72MPH.  This gives really good throttle response but must be bad for economy.  My previous 2 litre Accord (auto) gave well over 80MPH at the same revs.  It doesn't really matter as the Merc is so quiet and smooth - just curious.

Jules190

Reaction score
4 Speed Autobox - queries

Doug - I have observed the same with my 190E2.6 auto '93.  It runs at about 3,200rpm for 70mph.  Bags of torque makes for exhilarating highway driving but surely not the best for economy.  Oil temp too, which is engine speed dependent, will consequently be a little higher.  But I guess those Stuttgart boys new what they were doing.  I gather present auto boxes are five speed now anyway.

steveperry

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedes-benz.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2010 CLS350CDI Gr.Ed.

Hi guys,

My old '86 190E did exactly the same as your E280 Doug. I think for snow starting you would set the switch on the 4 speed auto box to "E" and that may prompt a 2nd gear start. If the switch is in "S" then the box will do exactly as you have described.

Just out of interest my old 190E at 80 mph did 3,500 rpm whereas my current W202 'C' Class does 3,000 rpm at 80 mph. The difference an extra gear makes ;)

S.

OP
D

DougE280

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies boys,

You've put my mind at ease regarding any gearbox fault.  Just out of interest, I cannot force/trick it to start off in second - even in "E" so I think I can look forward to some fun when the snow comes!!!

The kids bought me some fitted mats for Father's Day. from Eurocarparts.  These are a perfect fit being cut specifically for the model, however I suppose I was expecting too much to expect the quality/thickness to be anything approaching the genuine MB mats.  They were only £30 so they'll do for now.

Whilst grubbing about under the seats, I noticed that both front seats have an electrical connector and two wires going to them.  No heated seats!..... so whatever can they be???

I did notice that the MB dealer on Edgware Road is selling Mobil 1 for less than £20 (inc VAT) for four litres.  This is much cheaper than Halfords or anywhere else I've seen.  You'll have to wait a long time though, as their spares department must have the slowest service in the world!!!    Still, needing two bottles for every oil change, it's certainly worth stocking up - I assume oil doesn't have a "use by date".

steveperry

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedes-benz.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2010 CLS350CDI Gr.Ed.

Doug,

I don't have electric seats either, my passenger seat has an electrical connector, don't think my driver seat has one. I assumed this is the contact that de-activates the passenger airbags if an appropriate child seat is connected.

S.

fuzzer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202

Buy an A class for the snow , they are great as the rear wheel drive auto thing does make life a little more fun

fuzzer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202

Ohh , and the mats. They are all pretty crappy. The oem fancy velour or the ribbed ones have a soft foam backing which cracks and disintegrates fairly quickly .I have the ribbed ones for the better weather and i also invested in a set of OEM tailored rubber mats which even cover the transmission tunnel in the back. They only cost about £30 from the dealer and are one of the best things i have bought for the car . Somthing you will also notice is that the mat on the drivers side keeps sliding under the accelerator , thus making it hard to press down. This can be solved by car mat clamps that hold the mat in place and hook into the floor. Just warning you ....

Arnie

Reaction score

Position 2 on the selector will not engage second gear only, but will resrict the auto box to the first two gears.
"E" mode will allow the 'box to change up sooner and "S" mode to change up later, holding a lower gear longer for better acceleration.

Matt Crooke

Reaction score

Doug

Funny isnt it, i would love my 190 to start in 1st every time, but they default to 2nd gear start as standard....

and i havent had the pleasure of the snow yet, so ive got that to look forward to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom