4 Star to Unleaded Petrol

Fazeel

Reaction score
Hi guys, just got my B'reg 280E running after having it parked in the garage for the last 10years, and the problem is this car used to run on 4 star petrol as you know 4 star isn't available now but the car starts unleaded but it seems abit rough, any idea what I need to do to get it changed to run on unleaded petrol?

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
B reg 1985?

if so, it should be ok on unleaded.
It's probably rough through lack of use. Run a lot of redex or even a litre of diesel into a full tank of super unleaded and take it for a spin.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
definately agree with my myros.

rougness is due to lach of use and gum deposites from stale fuel in various jets and pipework,

run a high quality fuel through it for a while, that contains detergents optimax or an ultimate.

this i am sure will cure the faults.

OP
F

Fazeel

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, Im going to give it a good service before I drive it anyway that may cure the problem as well.

OP
F

Fazeel

Reaction score
Hi can some one please tell me what I have to do to convert my 280 B'reg from 4 star petrol to unleaded? Many thanks...

stever

Reaction score
I have a 79 280 CE and always use branded fuel with Castrol valvemaster plus, which boosts the octane. Seems to run smoother with better mpg as a result. Although roughness could be due to HT leads, plugs etc.

niva441

Reaction score
I also use Castrol Valvemaster for my classics. Very happy with the results and hardly a problem to add it to the tank when filling up.

OP
F

Fazeel

Reaction score
I've just orded an In_line Cat Unit for mine soo dont need to add all that expensive stuff into my fuel tank. Hopefully will do the job. By the way I brought it from www.fuelcat.co.uk

rio678

Reaction score
lead in the petrol is only there to lubricate the valve seats, running unleaded really isnt going to make alot of difference to the engine along as you dont rev it to death all the time :)

Ian B Walker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300td
Someone once told me that retarding the ignition helped. Yes I know that it is impossible to do on a modern car (as if you would want to anyway). I did a Jaguar head a long time ago and used two head gaskets. To this day I dont know why, but it worked.

rio678

Reaction score
My morris minor should run on lead, but runs excellently on unleaded, i mean i know one of these days i am going to have to have new valve seats, but i have been told that keeping the revs down does help alot.

johnb80

Reaction score
Ian B Walker said:
Someone once told me that retarding the ignition helped. Yes I know that it is impossible to do on a modern car (as if you would want to anyway). I did a Jaguar head a long time ago and used two head gaskets. To this day I dont know why, but it worked.
It lowers the compression ratio and thus avoids pre ignition (pinking).

Regards - J

OP
F

Fazeel

Reaction score
Hi just to let you guys know brought and fitted the inline fuel cat unit and the car is running very smooth, high recommend it from www.fuelcat.co.uk good advice and service from the bloke.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom