4 Wheel Tracking. Is there a diagram of parts?

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
I am getting my 4 wheel tracking done next week. I have been warned by the garage that some of the adjusters may be seized and need replacing and may add a substantial amount to the basic cost. I thought that I would take a look at this and if correct clean and spray some penatrating oil on the relevent bolts? Is this a good idea and if so is there a diagram to show them? Thank you in advance.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
No idea. Not all cars have adjustable rear.

If yours is adjustable the bolts and washers will look similar or there may be eccentric washers.

OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
No idea. Not all cars have adjustable rear.

If yours is adjustable the bolts and washers will look similar or there may be eccentric washers.
Thank you. 2005 Mercedes EClass Estate.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
>>>warned by the garage that some of the adjusters may be seized and need replacing and may add a substantial amount

I'd be reluctant to go anywhere that gave that warning particularly if they actually used the word substantial. Mostly all you get is a standard charge and after the job the guy might say a couple of the threads were a devil to release but we sorted them. The difficult threads if any will be the track rod ends and their lock nuts. But with ramp access at the tracking place, good spanners, a quick wire brush and some easing spray they should be fine.

Also I'd not want those adjustable suspension fixing bolts touched. Yes by all means get the print out as an advisory and consider any of the out of range readings but don't rush to change settings. Unless someone has made an error replacing the arms that those bolts fix or its been in an accident no adjustment should be needed in that area.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brian23

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EClass
>>>warned by the garage that some of the adjusters may be seized and need replacing and may add a substantial amount

I'd be reluctant to go anywhere that gave that warning particularly if they actually used the word substantial. Mostly all you get is a standard charge and after the job the guy might say a couple of the threads were a devil to release but we sorted them. The difficult threads if any will be the track rod ends and their lock nuts. But with ramp access at the tracking place, good spanners, a quick wire brush and some easing spray they should be fine.

Also I'd not want those adjustable suspension fixing bolts touched. Yes by all means get the print out as an advisory and consider any of the out of range readings but don't rush to change settings. Unless someone has made an error replacing the arms that those bolts fix or its been in an accident no adjustment should be needed in that area.
Thank you. I have been to a few places and the quote was upto £120 which I thought was ridiculas. The place that I am taking it has been my go to garage for many years and the quotes are always less than anywhere else. Basically they said the cost of 4 wheel tracking is £39 and to be aware that because the rear tracking very rarely gets done it will probably be seized on a 2005 car. Sounds reasonable and they will phone me before any replacement of any bolts etc. They are a family run buisiness and I trust that they will only replace what needs doing. On my last EClass the rear suspension was seized (This was another garage that specializes in 4 wheel tracking) and they quoted something silly, so went to my normal garage and got it repaired for half the cost.

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
OK... when you are in the hands of garages then you can only go with who you trust.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom