420SEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmyjo

Reaction score
I have a 1987 420 SEL with about 190,000KMs. It has the 4 speed tranny and just recently it has started to take a little longer to shift from 2nd to 3rd. I thought at first it was slipping clutches but after a look-see and test spin from a certified mechanic it has been established that the clutches aren't slipping, it just feels and sound like it because there isn't a positive shift. It's worse when it's cold and if I put the "pedal to the metal" it seems to have a positive shift. Also, if I let up on the gas at shift time, it has a positive shift. I was told it's probably inner seals and it will need a costly rebuild. Is there anyway to clean/recondition these seals without a teardown? would a tranny flush help? Any informed suggestions would be helpful.  

Andy

Reaction score
Website
www.mercedesservicing.com
Hi Jimmy,

There nothing that can be done from the outside of the box. At the millage indicated, I would supprised if there is not any clutch pack wear. Theres certain to be wear in the brake bands. Its a strip down I am afraid. Replace worn out parts and reset all release clearences. As I have mentioned before on this forum. Donot just rebuild the box with out reseting all release clearences. Otherwise you will have the same problem.

Regards
Andy@ www.mercedesservicing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom