450 SEL 6.9 - RHD Figures - How many W116 450 SEL 6.9 cars w

Mike Shade

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a UK registered 450 SEL 6.9 (W116) saloon which was manufactured from 1975 to 1980.

Only 7,380 were produced but I'd like to know how many were manufactured in right hand drive (for countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa etc) and how many were officially registered in the UK.

Would anyone be able to help me with this query?  I've already discussed the matter in the M-100.org website message board with fellow enthusiasts in USA and Australia but no firm figures have been found.  Estimates vary from 250 to 1,300.

Hope to hear from someone soon!

Mike.

OP
M

Mike Shade

Reaction score
450 SEL 6.9 - RHD Figures

DaveH, thanks for the ebay notification!

However, I don't think it's a real 6.9 - just the standard W116.  I've emailed the vendor for confirmation.

Cheers, Mike.

paulcallender

Banned
Reaction score
There are at least 2, becuase I was at a classic car show recently and there were 2 for sale, right next to each other. The seller had ludicrously overpriced them, so I bet they're still for sale too.

mjtray

Reaction score
I've seen a couple for sale recently and also went to have a look at one.....the problem here in the UK is that people think that they are worth big money due to the 6.9 engine...the fact is they are not worth that much as they are highly complex beasts to keep on the road, especially anything to do with the suspension and bodywork.

They rust badly and the one I went to see had rust starting to creep out in all the usual areas and to get it repaired would cost more than the value of the car. It also had knackered front suspension. The guy wanted £4k for it and I've since seen it being offered for £9k by a dealer in Abingdon and I bet that none of the rust has been dealt with as there is no way you could do all the cutting and welding in of new metal and then spraying for £5k.....surprise surprise the car keeps appearing in the following months addition of Classic Cars.

The classic areas for rust being edges to the sunroof, arches, sills, door bottoms,front inner wings, inside the boot and under the back window seal.

Tread carefully in your hunt as you could quite easily buy a money pit.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom