51 plate C Class Auto Estate 'Park Brake' conundrum !!

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
What is the official procedure when it comes to applying the foot operated Park Brake ?

Is the Auto box taken out of 'D' and into 'N' or not ?

Does being on a slight incline and facing downhill change any aspect of using the Foot Operated Parking Brake ?

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Nothing other than pressing the ratchet peddle with your left foot.
Auto box has no association.

Release by pulling lever below ignition switch.

Setting up the shoes at the rear wheels can be a skill.
Adjustment below the rear seat less so.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Official procedure is what is written in your owners manual…;)

Nothing other than pressing the ratchet peddle with your left foot.
Auto box has no association.

Release by pulling lever below ignition switch.

Setting up the shoes at the rear wheels can be a skill.
Adjustment below the rear seat less so.
It’s also worth having your left foot on the ratchet to take the tension off when you pull the release handle and also to stop the brake pedal coming back up fast and making a noise

Although with an auto these almost no reason to use it…

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
If you're parked on a slope then the reasonably important thing to do is apply the brake before putting the gearbox into Park. That way the weight of the car isn't resting on the parking pawl - if it is, it can be hard to get it out of Park.

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now a 2005 55 plate C Class 220 CDI Estate Auto in Iridium Silver with Black Nappa Leather.
The reason behind me asking is quite simply because the car will not stay stationary on a slight incline facing down.

I have never believed in sitting with my foot on the footbrake because of the annoyance it will cause to drivers that may be behind me and the potential for burning out the bulbs. and burning out their eyes and especially at night.

Reactions: M80
OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you're parked on a slope then the reasonably important thing to do is apply the brake before putting the gearbox into Park. That way the weight of the car isn't resting on the parking pawl - if it is, it can be hard to get it out of Park.
Hi Rory. I do that as a matter of course.

OP
ARoosterinaRoadster

ARoosterinaRoadster

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Official procedure is what is written in your owners manual…;)

It’s also worth having your left foot on the ratchet to take the tension off when you pull the release handle and also to stop the brake pedal coming back up fast and making a noise

Although with an auto these almost no reason to use it…
Hi BC. I would have thought that with an auto there was a greater need because of the potential for creeping - you must remember the DoT adverts on the TV where a new driver lightly shunts the rear of the car in front - I recall it being a Police Car !

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
The reason behind me asking is quite simply because the car will not stay stationary on a slight incline facing down.

I have never believed in sitting with my foot on the footbrake because of the annoyance it will cause to drivers that may be behind me and the potential for burning out the bulbs. and burning out their eyes and especially at night.
if your car has HOLD and you use it, your brake lights will be on anyway

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No hold on the 203.
I always considered that it would be easy to design brake lamps to extinguish while stationary.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Use is the same way as a conventional handbrake.
Come to standstill, car in P for park and then press the brake pedal.

Drive the way you was taught which helped you past your test, the rationale to save bulb life and not wanting to blind those behind is a new one.

Brake bulbs are to indicate someone is stopping, has stopped and the stop is temporary (mostly).

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hi BC. I would have thought that with an auto there was a greater need because of the potential for creeping - you must remember the DoT adverts on the TV where a new driver lightly shunts the rear of the car in front - I recall it being a Police Car !
Can’t creep forward with your foot on the brake… it also highlights to the people behind that you’re braking / stationary

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Have you ever been to North America? Almost all the cars are automatic, brake lights on at every intersection (they can’t understand roundabouts…) no issues with retina burn or brake light failure.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But in my day the teaching was to apply the handbrake when stationary.
At give ways it was ok to balance on the clutch / footbrake but only if likely to be moving off w/o a wait.

There is the rationale that if shunted while on footbrake the car is out of control when the foot slips off the brake pedal.

I didn't realise the teaching had changed.

I sense this is going to be popcorn time.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
But in my day the teaching was to apply the handbrake when stationary.
At give ways it was ok to balance on the clutch / footbrake but only if likely to be moving off w/o a wait.

There is the rationale that if shunted while on footbrake the car is out of control when the foot slips off the brake pedal.

I didn't realise the teaching had changed.

I sense this is going to be popcorn time.
I'm presuming you learnt in a manual, the handbrake is almost essential in those (unless you wish to ride the clutch at the lights (hanging offence...:shock:))

With brake hold, there is really no need, although you can if you want to - use the handbrake in an auto at the lights - we have many, many, many threads on here about how to drive an auto and using the handbrake (or not)

I'm confused about what oil and tyres to use..whilst we're on about it all...:rolleyes::oops::eek:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I'm presuming you learnt in a manual, the handbrake is almost essential in those (unless you wish to ride the clutch at the lights (hanging offence...:shock:))

With brake hold, there is really no need, although you can if you want to - use the handbrake in an auto at the lights - we have many, many, many threads on here about how to drive an auto and using the handbrake (or not)

I'm confused about what oil and tyres to use..whilst we're on about it all...:rolleyes::oops::eek:
is now a good time to mention left foot braking .... :rolleyes:

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I sit behind LED brake lights at traffic lights and think use your handbrake and don't be selfish, in fact it's more thoughtless than selfish.

Tbh I can't beat the new fashion for retina burning LED's and I'm taking more of a view that i might as well be selfish too. In my case it isn't thoughtless as I'm aware.

Not all autos, even all MB's, have that loverly brake hold.
True I was taught in a manual, was the teaching in an auto different re handbrake?
If the footbrake isn't pressed it can still creep, and at speed on a down incline.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I sit behind LED brake lights at traffic lights and think use your handbrake and don't be selfish, in fact it's more thoughtless than selfish.

Tbh I can't beat the new fashion for retina burning LED's and I'm taking more of a view that i might as well be selfish too. In my case it isn't thoughtless as I'm aware.

Not all autos, even all MB's, have that loverly brake hold.
True I was taught in a manual, was the teaching in an auto different re handbrake?
If the footbrake isn't pressed it can still creep, and at speed on a down incline.
Try sitting in an SLK... the brake lights and most "Stupid Utility Vehicles" headlights are right in your eye-line...:(

Reactions: M80

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Aye, when ticking the pro / con boxes betwix the 639 and the 211 one box ticked is the elevation of the 639. Some what out of the firing line of so many LED's, they still get me though.

I do miss brake hold in the 639. If I hadn't bought the 211 I wouldn't. If it was possible to convert the 639 there is money to be made, aside from not being type approves, and insurance saying nyet.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
No hold on the 203.
I always considered that it would be easy to design brake lamps to extinguish while stationary.

I know not everyone agrees, but one of the reasons we don't use autohold on wife's mk1 Tiguan is because the brake lights don't stay on (they do on newer VWs). In the semi-rural area we live in, I don't want to be at the back of stopped traffic and not have the brake lights on.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom