5Live SX disappears

Mike Rundle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2017
Hello. Probably a common problem but my 2017 C220d can’t find 5 Live Sports extra. It can see most other DAB stations (R6 for example) and all other BBC stations except for the sports. This happens all over the country, not just in my local area. I don’t see a scan function so can’t do what you would normally and just run a scan of all the networks. Oddest of all is that sometimes, the 5 Live SX station link shows up but when clicked on, takes me to BBC R2. Apart from taking it into the dealership, is there anything I can do ? Thanks for the help.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Hi Mike, sorry I can't help with your problem but welcome to the best MB forum out there :)

OP
M

Mike Rundle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220d 2017
Cheers Andy. Hopefully someone else can help and I don’t have to drive 20 miles to the dealership..

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

There should be a retune option available in the menu somewhere...

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum.

I found this on Wikipedia:
The station is notable in that it is a part-time service, only airing throughout sports broadcasts. These broadcasts themselves are also live and uninterrupted, unlike Radio 5 Live which adds news bulletins and Radio 4 Longwave which adds the Shipping Forecast into coverage. When the station goes off-air, all broadcasts cease as the station does not simulcast any other broadcast; this is unusual on the BBC Radio network as nearly all radio stations now operate 24 hours a day or simulcast with another service - Radio 4 simulcasts with the BBC World Service and BBC Local Radio stations broadcast 5 Live when not on air. A side effect of this lack of simulcast is that those attempting to tune into the station with a DAB Digital Radio will often have difficulty finding the station. Internet stream, which earlier also used to go off air, now broadcasts station promo in a loop.

phil barker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212 E Class
Hi Mike and welcome
I have exactly the same problem with the Scala Radio station. Car will not tune it in. There are no retune options and no delete options. Someone suggested it might be a STAR retune that is needed, but at a cost!
My car is due for a service at the end of the month so I'll ask the dealer then.
Let us know on this forum if you find a solution.

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Let us know on this forum if you find a solution.
I doubt whether we will hear anything further. To be honest, I would rather someone tell me I'm talking a load of rubbish rather than just ignore a post offering a solution.

As for Scala, I checked my car today and it is showing on the DAB list so I suspect your problem is down to the age of your car. I believe the original MB system only had space for 100 DAB stations but perhaps this can be increased with a Firmware update - as you say, at a cost!

IMG_8722.jpg

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
you should not expect to see all channels on all cars, nor in all areas,

the signal in the UK is far too weak for sensible use, and on Mercedes the antenna's are very poor.
they seem to be built for very strong signals other countries might use, whereas in the UK you need an extraordinarily sensitive tuner, the worlds best antenna and a large helping of good luck

https://getdigitalradio.com/?slide=check-your-available-stations

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
using the link in the post above, mine shows 61 "good" and another 26 "fair" so 100 limit seems unlikely to be the cause
there was an issue with a lot of Mercedes (due to badly written software) where I believe mainly NTG4 to 5 headunits couldn't cope with life from Feb 2016 when DAB + switch over came in bringing a proliferation of rubbish and a reshuffle of what stations sat where. Afflicted cars need a software update

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom