7 Seats to 5 conversion

michael sumner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Estate S211 200 Kompressor 2003
Hi all. I've just bought a 2003 S211 E200 Kompressor Estate. It's a 7 seater but I'd really rather not have the seats and use the storage space instead. There seems no way to access the fixings for the seat (haven't even looked at the backrest yet but if I can at least remove the seat bit it would give me more room to store things). Any clues would be welcome...

Last edited:

bob 6600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
Even more space than when folded flat? Can't help but I would suggest keeping them and putting them back if you sell the car. 7 seaters are more desirable than the 5.

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Hi all. I've just bought a 2003 S211 E200 Kompressor Estate. It's a 7 seater but I'd really rather not have the seats and use the storage space instead. There seems no way to access the fixings for the seat (haven't even looked at the backrest yet but if I can at least remove the seat bit it would give me more room to store things). Any clues would be welcome...

Just keep the last 2 seats folded flat at all times.

om613

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S202 C250TD, S123 240TD
There was someone recently (one here or on 'there') wanting to do the (more common) reverse of your objective.

I wouldn't bother, though. Not much space to be gained vs. the various downsides.

Sycamore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2005 M113
I never want the 7 seat option with E Class estates but always end up with it. Makes me laugh when I see countless numbers of them advertised as having the "rare 7 seat option"- I can never find the ones I want WITHOUT them!

On my newly-acquired S211 I think you can pull out at least the seat panel nearest to the tailgate. Not much depth gained though, you're left with a shallow rectangular-shaped recess in the floor.

OP
M

michael sumner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I never want the 7 seat option with E Class estates but always end up with it. Makes me laugh when I see countless numbers of them advertised as having the "rare 7 seat option"- I can never find the ones I want WITHOUT them!

On my newly-acquired S211 I think you can pull out at least the seat panel nearest to the tailgate. Not much depth gained though, you're left with a shallow rectangular-shaped recess in the floor.
Yes, agreed! I can remove the seat and the remaining "well" would be very useful, however I really want to remove the actual upholstery and then replace the panel otherwise it will look a mess. Ideal thing would be to find a plain panel (from a 5 seater) on ebay but haven't seen one yet...

Sycamore

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500 2005 M113
Ideal thing would be to find a plain panel (from a 5 seater) on ebay but haven't seen one yet...

Hence proving the ubiquity of the 7 seats! I am very tempted to do the same. Perhaps a scrapyard somewhere has one, I'd imagine the 211 to now be at that age where they are starting to show up there in increasing numbers. Good luck with it and if you do get any results, I for one would be interested to see them.

OP
M

michael sumner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Right, sorted! Get a big screwdriver and lever the seat off from the base. It is held on by half a dozen or so clips. The space I now have is very useful for stowing gear (and believe me I have a lot of it!).

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom