722.6 Autobox Reset Procedure.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes as Steve above,,the boxes will hold onto the lower gears to warm up the CAT only the 722.6 box and more from 1997 to 2000

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270
Yes as Steve above,,the boxes will hold onto the lower gears to warm up the CAT only the 722.6 box and more from 1997 to 2000
Hi malc
I'm thinking of removing the front cat on my ml 270,

what would happen then

thanks Kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi malc

what would happen then

thanks Kevin

Nothing at all regarding the gearbox as it is fed info from the engine temp,,not from the CATS

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Lot of evidence on one of the US forums about the eefect of reprogramming the gearbox. E class 211 forum shows much support
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/148114-sneaky-ecu-reset-e55-forum.html

As does the AMG E class section.
http://www.mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/148019-holy-crap-you-guys-sneaky-ecu-reset-works.html

Theory goes that the gearbox is adaptive to our driving style and type of journeys (as the handbook says); if we drive gently or spend time in heavy traffic it adjusts and changes gear at lower revs. If we drive with verve on clearer roads it gradually adjusts to that and changes at the optimum for performance.

So to reset it at the optimum for performance follow the instructions given.

Or not. Depending on your view.

thebob34

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 280
Hi Chaps,
As most of you are aware I have been pestering Malcolm (televison) and a few others concerning late changes etc on my E211 2004 5 speed Autobox, Malcolm kindly sent me a link from a guy in Seattle who had the following information on how to Reset the gearbox to Crisp mode as he called it, I followed his advice to the letter and can confirm my car now changes gear perfectly and at the correct engine revs, its worked brilliantly for me so here is the procedure should you want to give it a go:-

(1) switch OFF the climate control and radio.
(2) close ALL doors.
(3)Turn Ignition key to all dash lights ON position(not as far as start though)
(4) Press and hold the accelerator to the floor for 20 seconds.
(5)with Accelerator still to the floor, turn the key to the OFF position DONT REMOVE IT YET.
(6) Slowly lift your foot off the accelerator.
(7) Sit for 2 minutes DONT TOUCH ANY SWITCHES.
(8) Remove the ignition key and exit the car.
I left the car overnight then drove it the next morning but this is,nt nessesary you can get in and try it after a couple of minutes.
I can honestly say this works and has set the shift points to the perfect settings.:D
Hope this helps someone else as it has helped me, and Thanks Malcolm once again for the link.
Alfie B

Hi all, do you think this would help me or not. I have a problem on my s280., not had time to have it sorted yet as there is around 6 inch of snow on it. Whats happening is every now and then, I am driving and the car just revs, like you are in neutral. when this happens you have to stop completly before driving again. aslo when this fault occurs, it makes no difference if you try to manually change on the tiptronic gear. I almost got wiped out other day as this happened on a motorway at 70 mph so need it sorting before it moves far again.

regards, bob

would appreciate advice

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Hi malc

what would happen then

thanks Kevin

I did one this morning on a 270cdi ML,

Go well after, mind you, that has had both cats removed now!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi all, do you think this would help me or not. I have a problem on my s280., not had time to have it sorted yet as there is around 6 inch of snow on it. Whats happening is every now and then, I am driving and the car just revs, like you are in neutral. when this happens you have to stop completly before driving again. aslo when this fault occurs, it makes no difference if you try to manually change on the tiptronic gear. I almost got wiped out other day as this happened on a motorway at 70 mph so need it sorting before it moves far again.

regards, bob

would appreciate advice

Hi BOB this does sound as though it is low on fluid,,and this is the first thing to check

kebo57

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml270

Hi & thanks just read this reply,
I've removed the back cat 99% intact I post pic going to remove the front next how would be the easiest way remove the front one

Thanks Kevin

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I can print the info off for you

muller1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 270 Cdi and S type Jag 2.7 Diesel Sport Saloon, and now a VW diesel GT golf
ML 270 Cat Removal

Good morning S-A-M/U-N-I-T

I have cut open the box and removed the cat which sits just about under the drivers seat, is there an other at the front somewhere.
I have seen a largish cylindrical "thing" on the manifold side of the car is this the front cat and if so, how easy to remove please.

Thanks.

Mike

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
The first cat is under the air cleaner box, easy to remove, you can just break that one up with a long bar and a hammer, just chip it away bit buy bit, 2nd cat, i cut the rear pipe of the output side of the cat and again, used a ber to break it up, then just welded the pipe back on, !!!

Made_in_Stuttgart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI
Is there a gearbox reset procedure for W211 2006-2009?

The previous owner of my E320 CDI clearly did many motorway miles (25k per year), however I only average 10 miles per day: 5 miles to work, 5 miles back - this involves mainly town driving and a short stint on the motorway.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
The only way to reset the autobox is by using STAR

Made_in_Stuttgart

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI
Ok. I'm not that familiar with these automatic gearboxes.

Is it true that they adapt to your driving style? If so, that is unbelievable!

mercmancdi

Reaction score
Website
www.schnauzersinireland.com
Your Mercedes
2009 E250 cdi 08 cls320 cdi ,2007 e280 cdi '2005 E 280 CDI ,VW TOUAREG ,JAGUAR S AND xTO NAME A FEW
Ok. I'm not that familiar with these automatic gearboxes.

Is it true that they adapt to your driving style? If so, that is unbelievable!

It did on my 7 speed E280 does it adapt on the 270 cdi 5 speed as well ?

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Yes the 'box constantly adjusts the change points according to your driving style.

Mercedes-2010

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes C350 AMG Sport (2013)
Just had a look at my w203 manual and on page 310 it states that "The transmission shift system automatically adapts itself to the individual driving style of the driver by adjusting its shift points" also "Shift point adjustment is an ongoing process which constantly takes account of current driving conditions as well as driver requirements" also "If the driving situation changes, the automatic transmission reacts with an adjusted shift pattern"

I must admit when we first had our w203 Cdi my wife said it was sluggish when pulling off at junctions, we had been used to a VX Elite 3.0l ! Anyway I tried the reset proceedure without telling wifey, she commented that it seemed different and asked what I'd done to it!!! I told her it was very special Diesel from Tesco :D:D:D:D

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom