722.6 occasional loss of drive?

Gawie_mq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk200 auto 2002
Get a transmission dipstick and stop guessing.
Hi Guys. How far do you need to "push in" the dipstick..? Until it stops ? Then the dipstick is more or less in a horizontal position ? Thx

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320CDI 2004 - straight 6 diesel
You push it in until you can feel the tip hit the bottom of the sump.

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
And to reiterate, with the engine running, in Park, and up to temperature.

OP
N

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
Update,it drives very well,shifting is definitely better and smoother, occasionall hesitancy to shift is gone, loss of drive did not happen in 120 miles yet,although it did not happen frequently before.It might be just my imagination,but maybe the revs are little bit higher at constant 40 mph,but no more then 50 odd revs.Also managed to drop gearbox oil dipstick cap into the engine bay,hope it is still there...Now my engine oil dipstick is missing the handle on top that shredded serpentine belt broke,and sticky tape on the gearbox oil dipstick is a testament to my clumsiness...Added a bit more gearbox oil, now it is 4 liters in total,only measured at cold level so far,it seems to be ok,will check again after longer drive how it seems at hot temperatures.

Gawie_mq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk200 auto 2002
You push it in until you can feel the tip hit the bottom of the sump.
Thanks ! I have a problem with my Slk 200 R170. All of a sudden all gears gone. Replaced the ATF and filter. Gearbox and shifting fine...After driving for 2 days...same problem..heard a funny noise..whining noise...2nd time...gears gone again. After an hour..limited gear shifting.. What I observed..."new" ATF looks dirty...not clear red colour.. ? Please advice..should I flush and replace the filter ..again ?‍♂️722.6 auto box according to VIN number

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Update,it drives very well,shifting is definitely better and smoother, occasionall hesitancy to shift is gone, loss of drive did not happen in 120 miles yet,although it did not happen frequently before.It might be just my imagination,but maybe the revs are little bit higher at constant 40 mph,but no more then 50 odd revs.Also managed to drop gearbox oil dipstick cap into the engine bay,hope it is still there...Now my engine oil dipstick is missing the handle on top that shredded serpentine belt broke,and sticky tape on the gearbox oil dipstick is a testament to my clumsiness...Added a bit more gearbox oil, now it is 4 liters in total,only measured at cold level so far,it seems to be ok,will check again after longer drive how it seems at hot temperatures.
You can buy a new cap for a couple of quid on the bay. I bought 2 as I also like to drop things into the engine bay, but mine always vanish. I think there is a black hole down there.

OP
N

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
Managed to retrieve it from bottom engine cover, discovered water dripping from just above gearbox oil pan,above o2 sensors,have feeling that is from evaporator...

pgh13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks ! I have a problem with my Slk 200 R170. All of a sudden all gears gone. Replaced the ATF and filter. Gearbox and shifting fine...After driving for 2 days...same problem..heard a funny noise..whining noise...2nd time...gears gone again. After an hour..limited gear shifting.. What I observed..."new" ATF looks dirty...not clear red colour.. ? Please advice..should I flush and replace the filter ..again ?‍♂️722.6 auto box according to VIN number

I'd be inclined to do the cooler return flush a couple of times until the fluid gets cleaner. I wouldn't change the filter again. That's just my view, though.

Gawie_mq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Slk200 auto 2002
I'd be inclined to do the cooler return flush a couple of times until the fluid gets cleaner. I wouldn't change the filter again. That's just my view, though.
Thx for the advice. Apparently you cannot drain the T converter on this model..Slk 200 (2002) model ? Cant see a drain plug

OP
N

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
I might do the complete oil change,the problem is with the ULEZ extension in London next year I will probably have to change the car,so I only have about 14 months left with this car which is really annoying since now it runs really well and with LPG it cost me nothing to run...

OP
N

Nick66

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E240 2000
Update,finally measured the hot oil level , after 100 miles drive in hot weather,in the end it took total of five liters ,thinking about it ,since I replaced the complete valve body that was stored horizontally,it must have been pretty drained of oil.The car drives so much better now,not only smoother but it seems quieter and faster to accelerate.Could not be happier with the result.Thanks for the help,especially Lost Kiwi who always answers my questions quickly and accurately.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom