722.6 Transmission 13 pin plug questions...

davetapsom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport Coupe 2003
Hi All

My first post...

I have a 2003 C180 Sport Coupe. It has started cycling malfunction messages: ESP then Coolant then Display Malfunction. Sometimes it goes into limp mode for a while then jumps out after 30 secs or so. Occasionally will not start - turn key, nothing happens.

Hoping against hope, I replaced the 13 pin transmission socket but am still getting the codes. The car does seem not to be going into limp mode. I did disconnect the battery but I have not yet had the error codes cleared.

Dunno if anyone has anything to suggest?

But another question: all the forums say 'change the connector because oil gets in'. If you look at the socket, there are the 13 pin holes plus locating slots. Are those not going to allow the oil to get in? Unless on the locating plate/slots there are a bunch of rubber seals, it seems to me that oil will get in anyway?

Regards
Dave

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hi and welcome.
I have to ask why look at the transmission plug for something clearly not transmission related?

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Are you talking about the front SAM connector plug , with the problem of oil wicking along the wiring from the camshaft magnets ?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Are you talking about the front SAM connector plug , with the problem of oil wicking along the wiring from the camshaft magnets ?
No I think he's referring to the oil leak from the 722.6 past the pilot bush into the harness at the gearbox.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
The fault you refer to with the cluster is a symptom of the CAN being down or corrupted usually.

OP
D

davetapsom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport Coupe 2003
The fault you refer to with the cluster is a symptom of the CAN being down or corrupted usually.
Ok, I'll buy that. Could you point me in the direction of what I can do about this - maybe something like search forum using 'xxx'? Dealing with Benz's is new to me, still learning what's what...
Hi and welcome.
I have to ask why look at the transmission plug for something clearly not transmission related?
Because on other searches this was brought up as something that can cause those issues. Given that I'm new to Benz's so I had to start somewhere...
No I think he's referring to the oil leak from the 722.6 past the pilot bush into the harness at the gearbox.
Yep, I think that's what I think I'm referring to.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It would be very interesting to know what the error codes are.
To get the full set of error codes will require a reader capable of correctly interrogating all the control modules - ideally Star/Xentry.

OP
D

davetapsom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport Coupe 2003
It would be very interesting to know what the error codes are.
To get the full set of error codes will require a reader capable of correctly interrogating all the control modules - ideally Star/Xentry.
Is there a device that you can recommend that I can buy that won't break the bank? Had it serviced a couple days ago and the guy charged me $75 then to connect it up to his diagnostics. A couple of repeats at that price and it might be cheaper to just buy a reader...

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What codes did he pull?

The usual one used here is the iCarsoft MB V2, MB II or i980.

OP
D

davetapsom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport Coupe 2003
Ok, so I've bought an MB v2. Still figuring it out.

Ran Smart Scan:

TCM - Transmission Control Module
Control Unit Version: Siemens / Hardware status: 03/01, Software status 51/02, Diagnosis ident: 02/02

ESM - Electronic selector module
State: Historic. CAN communication with other control units installed in this vehicle is not possible.

ECM - Engine Control Module (ME - SFI)
State: Historic. CAN data from control module Instrument cluster
CAN signal interruption

ESP - Electronic stability program
State: Historic. Engine control module not identified or incorrect control module.

SAM_F - Signal acquisition and actuation module front
State: Historic. Circuit 30 has an undervoltage of < 10.5V.

REAR SAM - Rear signal acquisition and actuation module
State: Historic. Fault in CAN communication with control module N69/1(Left front door control module). If fault code occurs with no complaint reported and no malfunctions, erase fault memory and perform a function check.

DCM_FR - Door control module front right
State: Historic. [S20/1s1(Left front power window switch): The component is hung or has a short circuit.]or{
[S21/2(Front passenger power window switch): The component is hung or has a short circuit.]

Not completely what I was expecting, and the only obvious code seems strange - the left window goes up and down fine.

Any suggestions as to why nothing can be read?

Remember this is the first time I'm using this unit so quite happy to be guided as to what I should be specifically doing.

Regards
Dave

OP
D

davetapsom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport Coupe 2003

Given the results of the scan (i.e. CAN communication with other control units installed in this vehicle is not possible.) this looks likely.

How do I diagnose this, what would my next steps be?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All those error codes are historic - in other words not current.
Clear all the codes and re-scan.
It's vital the vehicle selection on the MB V2 matches your vehicle. The easiest way to ensure this is to ensure the first six numbers of your VIN match the selection in MB v2

OP
D

davetapsom

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Sport Coupe 2003
All those error codes are historic - in other words not current.
Clear all the codes and re-scan.
It's vital the vehicle selection on the MB V2 matches your vehicle. The easiest way to ensure this is to ensure the first six numbers of your VIN match the selection in MB v2

Thanks, will do.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom