813 -Wheel Bearing

tetatate2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
813 1980
Hi

I'm new to this forum so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I did a search and didn't see anything for this vehicle.

I'm looking for some help with a Merceded 813 truck , configured as a horsebox.
So it's old registered in 1980.

I've just put it through its HGV test and it didn't do too bad but failed on a loose or worn wheel bearing . A mechanic at the test centre said that these bearings are adjustable.

I've had a look and it's kind of hard to ascertain the play I guess I really need to back off the brake shoes to do it properly but I don't have a manual so it's not clear which are the shoe adjusters and which way to turn them to back off the shoes.

I wonder if anyone knows where I could get a manual for this truck , or some online details of the brake configuration ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Jasons76

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 cdi AMG sport estate
Hi I don't know what you mean by assertain the play if you jack up the side that has the play and grab the wheel at the top and bottom and move in and out you shouldn't feel any play it must be bad to fail the mot,I used to be a merc commercial fitter although didn't have much experience with 813 the 814 was more my era,but if it's the same,underneath the big grease cover on the hub which unscrews you will see a big clamp nut with an Allen key bolt,loosen off the bolt and tighten the clamp nut until the play has gone but don't do it too tight then tighten the Allen bolt.i wouldn't play around de-adjusting brakes as they can be a sod to get right and you could end up with them pulling to one side on braking.

GEORGEROV

Reaction score
See attached :

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_17 Dec. 12 16.56.jpg
    ScreenHunter_17 Dec. 12 16.56.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 30
  • ScreenHunter_16 Dec. 12 16.51.jpg
    ScreenHunter_16 Dec. 12 16.51.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 31
OP
T

tetatate2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
813 1980
Hi

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys to say thanks for the information and the useful diagram.
I managed to tighten the bearing and it passed the MOT.
I'll need to do some adjusting up of the back brakes as the examiner said the parking break just about got through. I hoping it's just adjustment issues and not that the air servo.
Thanks again for your help.

Regards
Paul

WG M-B

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 Wagon in black
It won't be the spring brake chambers as these are filled with air to hold the park brake off. When applying the park brake the chambers dump the air and the spring hold the brakes on.
You should have an individual star wheel adjuster for each individual brake shoe accessible through the backplate

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom