94-96 280 C Class models

drayon

Reaction score
Currently i have a 1988 230 E (W124). Personally i feel the car is too big and sadly very underpowered tho im not surprised its a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder pulling a large body. This car feels like its built to last, very robust oozes quality even for such an old car. I have an issue where i press the accelerator the vehicle does not respond, i must depress the pedal about 1 inch before the machine starts to take up. This feels like slack in the accelerator cable. In contrast my mom's Subaru impressa Auto responds instantly to the most gentle of pedal depression.

Anywayz, I have been looking at the C Class 280 vehicles around 94-98. I believe the 94-95 models featured at 2.8 liter 24 valve, straight 6 cylinder, 4 speed Auto supposedly 195HP.

Firstly id like to ask if these machines would suffer from the same so called 'accelerator cable slackness' problem i have with my 230E? (That is i need to put the pedal almost halfway to the floor before it does anything). Secondly would the performance of these 280 Class machines with the 24 valves perform alot better than my current 230E?

I read somewhere that the C280 in 1996 made a change to a 5 speed Auto. Then in 1998 the C280 came with a V6 and this replaced the straight 6. This raises some question marks since, i notice in various 2nd hand auto traders 1995 C280 vehicles with V6 engines. Im somewhat confused about this. I wish the Mercedes web site had a section dedicated to 'Past Models' featuring an extensive list of info fro each model. Really id like to know exactly when the V6 begun shipping with the C280. Lastly id like to know if there is a consensus as to which of the 94-98 C280 models was the cream of the crop in terms of performance, reliability and features etc and of course which ones to avoid if any?

Appreciation inadvance

watsone91

Reaction score
throttle

This car has a fly by wire throttle there is no throttle cable the adjustment is done by flashing the computer that drives the injection system.

The cable was removed to stop jerky starts on the auto box we all know what it`s like trying to get a smooth start with a sticky throttle cable?.

mjtray

Reaction score
Being a recent past owner of a C280 (1995) you will find it much quicker than your 230.

The versions using the straight 6, use the last of Mercedes classic straight 6 engines....they are great engines...very smooth and give a great howl once they go past 4000 revs. The engines can really take the miles, so do not be put off by a high mileage car as long as it has a full service history. The only weak spot is the head gasket which can go as quickly as 100k miles and can cost ££££ to replace. Check for oil in the expansion tank and oil leaking down the rear offside of the engine.

Having driven both the V6 and S6, I prefer the S6....its more charismatic. The V6's came in in 1997/8

In terms of auto boxes the 4 speed is the more reliable box...the 5's have more electronics and the early ones gave some problems

Fuel: I used to get 32mpg on motorway runs @ 75mph and 28mpg @ 90mph and around town/mixed driving.

The earlier cars also have better paint....later versions use water based paint which chips more easily

Summary: Great car....I did 20,000 miles in 9 months and it never missed a beat. Went down to the Alps in it a couple of times and it juts breezed the journey

OP
D

drayon

Reaction score
thanks for your replys.

Do u class 94-96 as 'the earlier cars'? If so would u say the 95 & 96 C280's have the paint which is not the water based stuff?

Did your 95 C280 have any lag when u accellerated? As mentioned i need to press down about 2 inches until the thing even revs...

watsone91 -> you say 'This car has a fly by wire throttle there is no throttle cable the adjustment is done by flashing the computer that drives the injection system.'

were u referring to my 230E or the 95/96 C280 or both?

Will any mechanic beable to 'flash' this computer and calibrate it so it responds more accurately ie revs/accelerates within the first few mm pushing on the pedal? Or am i required to take the vehicle to the Mercedes Service centers?

Thanks

OP
D

drayon

Reaction score
Did the C280's have power windows ONLY in the front??

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Drayon,
1) My '95 C220 had electric windows all round so I imagine the 280 will have. I suspect it has more to do with the trim level than the engine - so not sure about classic and esprit but elegance and sport will have electric all round.

2) on the throttle cable. If there is too much slack on your's it is easily adjusted by twisting the adjuster as it attaches to the throttle body, though mercs tend to be less hair triggered than some other cars. The electronic throttles do have cables which are adjustable, but they only go to sensors, not the throttle butterfly. This is not directly adjustable but I imagine some chip manufacturers can supply a tuning chip that would have the desired effect (+ x hp increase). I doubt the dealer could or would do anything with it.

3) I believe the facelift at '97 will have been the paint change point (could be wrong). The up to '97 ones are as well built as your current car.

I can't say I've ever noticed much lag on any merc. They don't leap at the first hint of the throttle like some cars,(I had an Audi Turbo so I think I know what you are getting at) but they are heavier, tend to be auto and not built as pure sports cars, more as fast limos.

mjtray

Reaction score
Drayon,

No lag whatsoever on my C280

Electric windows all round.

Earlier cars are 94-96/7

Cheers

Myros

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R107, S211, R170, C219
c280 0ld? lag?

Mine goes like stink. Book value bhp 193 S6. Purrs like a pussy cat at 95K, 45k of which I have done, and only used about 1litre of oil in-between changes, probably all up the same alp that MJT frequents. About 33mpg on a fast run on the continent, fully-laden and belting along at 100-ish. I think that's down to momentum, better fuel and emptier roads.
Back home I get about 27 in stop-start traffic. Recommend it to anyone who likes comfy, fast and safe motoring.

reflexboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDi Sport&R172 SLK250CDi AMG Sport
I have a 96 C280. 54K miles. It has no acceleration lag and the 194 bhp performs outstandingly. He's right, the straight 6 has a beautiful growl above 4K revs and at this point hits a power band which really chucks you back against the seat. The esprit and classic models came with two front electric windows, the sport rear windows were extras, but the elegance have windows all round. (prime choice). Top the elegance spec with air con and leather, and what more could you want. A real baby-Best I've ever owned. Good luck :lol:

adam34

Reaction score
I have a c280 1996 straight six, it's all comfort and as smooth as you like until you punch it a bit and then hoo haa!!!!....fantastic!! You can't beat the 280 for a brilliant all round package.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom