'95 W124 Infra-Red Remote Locking problems

W124131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
95 W124 E300D, 1982 W123 300D, 1999 W210 E300D TD, 1993 Hymer S700 OM602 410D, 1983 Hymer S750 409D
Hello all,

I have a 95 W124 E220 saloon. It is fitted with the remote infra red central locking system - option code 880. It has the sensor on the drivers door handle and also next to the rear boot lock. All has been working well till about two months ago when the fob stopped working. Obviously I have tried swapping the two disc batteries for new ones at least twice and nothing happening, not even a red light off the fob button at the end of the fob.

So to be clear, the car locks and unlocks fine with the normal key in the passenger door and drivers door locks. The fob does nothing

I have also taken the fob apart to check the button and so on to see if the solders are broken but it all seems in good order.

So, I can't be bothered buying a new fob and having my pants pulled down at the local merc stealer. I also can't find a replacement normal lock with a key from a scrapper or breaker.

I am also sick of locking and unlocking the car from the passenger door lock or the boot lock.

What I want to know is, can I swap the door handle with the remote sensor fitted with the door handle from the passenger side with the lock fitted?

Basically switch the handles from side to side so I can just lock the car with the key from the drivers side? I want to ignore the remote locking and just use a key like I do on my other 124's.

Pic 1 is the drivers infra red remote door handle

Pic 2 is the passenger side door handle with lock

Pic 3 is the offending fob - I forgot to mention the actual key on the fob snapped off about 10 months ago but the fob continued to lock the car till recently

I have the Merc EPC catalogue loaded up but I can't suss out if the locks are compatible either side of the car. I hope they are because the LHD W124 came with the remote sensor on the N/S of the car.

This car owes me peanuts, i wont be spending any money on it because it just keeps on going but the bodywork is very shoddy yet it drives well. I have other 124's in miles nicer condition, this one I am shedding with as little cash as possible and it keeps passing a MOT cleanly too. Now the ARB bushes need doing and the front ball joints.

PS - And if anyone has a drivers side wing mirror knocking about, I'd happily take one, some supermarket goon hit mine and broke the inner fixings!

Many thanks.

Remote door Lock.jpg Key door lock.jpg remote fob.jpg

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Just a thought before you consider anything more drastic. Have you tried to resync the remote key. Procedure may be as early 202 which should be on here somewhere or in the car manual. It’s something like press remote twice (aimed at sensor) then turn on ignition, press remote again, turn off ignition and press remote twice again. Exact procedure should be on here somewhere.

OP
W124131

W124131

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
95 W124 E300D, 1982 W123 300D, 1999 W210 E300D TD, 1993 Hymer S700 OM602 410D, 1983 Hymer S750 409D
Just a thought before you consider anything more drastic. Have you tried to resync the remote key. Procedure may be as early 202 which should be on here somewhere or in the car manual. It’s something like press remote twice (aimed at sensor) then turn on ignition, press remote again, turn off ignition and press remote twice again. Exact procedure should be on here somewhere.

Hi Graham, thanks for that suggestion. I did do that trying to re-sync the key, the way you suggest from that post on here and also from the user manual in the car. Neither worked. But, there's definitely no infra red signal being transmitted from the key.

So now I am resorting to swap the door handles over from each side and my question is if this is possible.

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Oh ok. In that case l don’t know whether you’ll be able to swap them over or not. I expect others will be along soon to advise. Good luck.

aybracers

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250CGI Saloon,C200 Estate
I had the same problem on my E320 C124 coupe. The RCL used to work then just stopped. I got an auto electrician to install an aftermarket remote locking device. The fobs looked like the ones from an after market alarm system but were just for RCL. It's very easy to tap into the vacuum system that controls the RCL on 124's from the controller under the rear seat.
Cost £160 supplied and fitted. With the 124 you still need the original chunky key fob to start the car so you end up with two fobs. On my 190e (Pre RCL) it was even easier as it has a normal key not a fob

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom