A Basic Guide to Detailing

Ben Longden

Reaction score
Website
www.benlongden.com
Your Mercedes
W203 220CDI. Silver with grey and black trim. 1992 W140 400SEL Silver. 1999 CLK430 (missus)
Vortex, this thread is brilliant.

I need to ask two questions;

GLASS; Ive found RainX leaves streaks that sparkle in the bright sun, so I use nothing on the glass at all. The local windscreen repair people hate the stuff, as it makes chip repair difficult.
I regularly use an abrasive glass polish on the windscreen, in an attempt to reduce the wiper scratches of the past. Any suggestions on better practice?

BRAKE DUST; I hate the damned stuff. Whats the best way of cleaning it off?

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My usual routine involves:
  • Wash with Autoglym (AG) Bodywork Shampoo Conditioner
  • Remove tar spots with AG Intensive Tar Remover
  • Dry off with silicone blade, chamois
  • Polish with AG Super Resin Polish
a

Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'd suggest you bin the silicone blade and chamois (as I have done) as they will trap and drag any small grit pieces left on the bodywork, causing scratches and swirls. Instead, give the beast a good rinse then dry with a microfibre cloth or towel.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Based on what I've read elsewhere, I'd suggest you bin the silicone blade and chamois (as I have done) as they will trap and drag any small grit pieces left on the bodywork, causing scratches and swirls. Instead, give the beast a good rinse then dry with a microfibre cloth or towel.

I was given a silicon blade at christmas but refuse to use it on paintwork. It did make a good job of drying the glass though, until last week I noticed some long scrapes running top to bottom on the windscreen. Obviously a stone has been trapped, but I did not feel it at the time. Put it straight in the bin.

Russ

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Vortex, this thread is brilliant.

I need to ask two questions;

GLASS; Ive found RainX leaves streaks that sparkle in the bright sun, so I use nothing on the glass at all. The local windscreen repair people hate the stuff, as it makes chip repair difficult.
I regularly use an abrasive glass polish on the windscreen, in an attempt to reduce the wiper scratches of the past. Any suggestions on better practice?

BRAKE DUST; I hate the damned stuff. Whats the best way of cleaning it off?

Try 1z einszett Glass Polish or Spautopia PureX Glass Cleaner both are bl**dy good - really good:cool:

Brake Dust on Alloys (?) remove each wheel clean off with a suitable brake dust remover then when satisfied give the wheels - both sides - a coating of Rim Wax or similar product buff up and repeat then polish off.

It wont stop the stuff getting on the wheels but it will come off easily when you next wash the wheels.

bpar1713

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 W220 2000
Scratched Alloy Wheels?

Great thread with plenty of good advice but I've a different problem and can't find anything on it anywhere on the Forum.
We have several light scratches and some heavy ones on our alloy wheels. My wife says I did them so is there any DIY fix or is it a job for the experts?
Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Lord_Vito

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito Tourer
That was interesting Vortex, thankyou.

Can i ask what your opinion is of the 2 similar products that dealerships try to flog with new cars, you know some type of guard stuff that means you never have to polish or wax your car again.

I was given some and applied it to our new Toyo pick up following the instructions.
Well it looked quite nice, but i would say had all but disappeared within a month or 2 at the most, and i am back to normal waxing when the weather permits.

My Mother-in-Law has something called DiamondBrite on hers and it still looks pretty good after a year or so, not sure if it's the same kind of thing? Personally I prefer to do that kind of thing myself - that's part if the fun!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
I bought these last week, awesome, from Opie Oils

Also, I never use a chamois, the Meguires Water Magnet is amazing

Lister1512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2015 (65) CLA Shooting Brake 180 AMG Sport
Thanks for giving such a comprehensive insight into detailing and in particular explaining the difference in glazing, sealants etc etc as I've found with detailing websites or guides they assume your aware of all these different steps and start abreviating with 'Ipa's' and all sorts.
I think I posted below in the wrong place (a sticky a while back)....some really informative information on cleaning, detailing etc so I wonder if someone could advise me....thanks
I'm awaiting delivery on a CLA Shooting Brake in the solid colour of Jupiter Red. I'm looking for advise on what steps I need to take to not just look after it but get it/keep looking nice. One guide I stumbled across who was a detailer and has his own workshop said that due to the contaminants accumulated on route from the factory that the clay would need to be used (ultra fine was advised) then all the other polishing, glazing sealing wax etc, but it that a bit extreme for brand new? I thought sealing then waxing but I'm new to this detailing. I have seen a hybrid (Doo do's or something) which has the synthetic which is durable and natural wax for shine? Click image for larger version

Name: image.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 247.9 KB
ID: 28952

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have seen a hybrid (Doo do's or something) which has the synthetic which is durable and natural wax for shine?

The wax in my post above is a hybrid ;)

Lister1512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good protecting and shine qualities then!? Definitely one to consider...thanks for your reply :-D

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Good protecting and shine qualities then!? Definitely one to consider...thanks for your reply :-D

It is excellent and really easy to use, I put a coat of Auto Glym SRP on then the Wax over the top, even after 5 washes it still beads nicely

Lister1512

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It is excellent and really easy to use, I put a coat of Auto Glym SRP on then the Wax over the top, even after 5 washes it still beads nicely

Thanks for the advice. For the first wash/wax ect I was considering getting a detailing company to seal the body work, wheels etc as it will be brand new then do myself after that?

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom