A Class gearbox problem

B

Blinste

I recently bought a diesel A class automatic for the missus cos she is rubbish with gears !. Its a fully auto model with the tiptronic box.[ Its W reg but with only 48 K on the clock]
Shortly after we bought it it developed a habit of stalling when put into gear when first started up from cold. This happens either in drive or reverse. For the first half mile or so [ till it warms up] the car stalls whenever you come to a stop - at a junction for instance -Once the car has warmed up its ok.The car will stall on average 5 or 6 times before it is happy to come to a stop without stalling.
I took the car to a main dealer who fiddled for an hour or so and didnt know what the fault was. Finally I took the car to an independent Merc garage who determined that the gearbox valve body was the problem.This was replaced yesterday at a cosy of £700 for the bit plus labour [ ouch !].
Guess what - it aint cured it.!!.
Before all of this the independent garage checked out other stuff such as fuel delivery etc etc before determining it was a gearbox problem.The guy who worked on the car has been dealing exclusively with Mercs for many years.
Has anyone out there had a similar problem or know what might be causing this ?.
Where else can I go to try and sort this out ?.Does anyone know if this is a common problem that I can take up with Mercedes ?.
Many Thanks,Steve

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Hi
Get rid off it before you end up paying 2k for a reconditioned gearbox

OP
B

Blinste

Mercedes - NEVER AGAIN - its Japanese from now on - no more German rubbish [ had a VW before and that was useless as well ]

OP
B

Blinste

Car now gone and replaced with a proper one - Japanese.

NO MORE GERMAN RUBBISH FOR ME !!

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
Interesting view.
I'm sure there are Japanese cars out there with problems.. does that then make all Japanese cars rubbish?

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom