A Class (W169) rattle

ccp

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2004 C270CDI avantgarde
My A150 (09 plate) had a slight rattle from under the middle / front of the car when we bought it 10 months ago (~40k miles) which has now developed into a consistent rattle when the engine is under medium to light load between 1000-1400 rpm. This rattle, to my ear, sounds like an exhaust baffle or possibly a loose/damaged cat matrix.

Its under warranty so has been in to the local Mercedes dealer many times to diagnose and cure the issue, but we are now being told that this noise is a characteristic of the vehicle.

After much too-ing and fro-ing they have exchanged the rear exhaust section (silencer and pipe) with that from another A class and the noise remained. The next step is to remove the cats ( i believe there are 2) for me and their technician to inspect to confirm that they are undamaged.

My question is simple, does anyone else have an A class of similar ilk that makes a curious rattling / exhaust noise under the conditions described above or is it just mine?

aycee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black CLS350 W218, Blue SLK320 R170, Silver A Class W169
We have a 2008 A150 which has now done about 70,000 miles and there is definitely not a rattle from the exhaust. Has had lots of suspension bits replaced over the years to cure crashes and bangs though!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom