A Cunning Plan to increase motorway capacity

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
............. on motorways - USE THE INSIDE LANE/S WHEN THEY ARE EMPTY...!!!!!!!

I've just used the M25 from the M4 to the M23. For 90% of the sloooow journey, lanes 1 & 2 were almost empty, whilst the 'middle-laners' sat in lane THREE at 55/60mph. RIDICULOUS :rolleyes:

On the M4 from Bath, the middle lane was the 'Lane Of Choice' for 75% of the plodders..!

Why oh why, are there SO many 'middle-laners'..?? :(

Stomper

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if we could fit snowplow type blades to our MLs and 'encourage' people to move over to the inside lanes !

Apart from the personal annoyance aspect it is costing the country tens or even hundreds of millions to widen motorways when in a lot of instances better lane discipline would sort the problem out for free.

Step over the speed limit even slightly and you get booked by the ever-increasing array of speed cameras but drive without due care and attention (which is basically what middle or outside lane hoggers are doing) and they seem to get away with it.

I think one way to combat this would be to use the money from the speeding fines to finance more motorway patrols with the emphasis on good driving behaviour and not just speed as standards seem to be slipping fast.

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
i think you will find that a ned driving a sprinter pushed them off the fast lane first as you only find them in two places double parked & on youre bumper at 100 mph flashing the lights to get past the other vans seem ok like the vito & the ml or 4 door van

Splatt

Reaction score
There is a very good reason lanes 1 & 2 on the M25 are empty, it`s called FOREIGN LORRY DRIVERS. The police have reported that 90% do not have mirrors that give them visibility in the adjacent lane so not getting near the ******* is self preservation.

For every fatal case there are many more accidents, most of which don't make the news. In a recent case reported to Injurywatch a Hungarian driver in a 32 tonne lorry changed lanes striking a Mazda MX5 where the M3 joins the M25 sending the tiny open topped sports car spinning across all six lanes. Miraculously the driver was unhurt. Police stated the lorry driver's mirrors were inadequate or incorrectly set to enable the lorry driver to see the car - a common complaint.

Last edited:
OP
JEZ.S320L

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
There is a very good reason lanes 1 & 2 on the M25 are empty, it`s called FOREIGN LORRY DRIVERS. The police have reported that 90% do not have mirrors that give them visibility in the adjacent lane so not getting near the ******* is self preservation.

Are foreign lorries invisible? I did state that lanes 1 & 2 were almost EMPTY - same for lane 1 on the M4.....

My son who does the Bath/Heathrow/Bath trip along the M4, agrees totally - middle-laners reduce the M4 to a slow moving dual carriageway.. :(

I daresay the same goes for the other motorways too.

Charges brought against inconsiderate middle-laners may very well start to do the trick.!

Last edited:

Splatt

Reaction score
Are foreign lorries invisible? I did state that lanes 1 & 2 were almost EMPTY - same for lane 1 on the M4.....

No ! not invisible but if you stay in lane 1 it means you have to hop sideways 2 lanes every time you approach one. Also as in the previous instance at the M3 entry M25 I quoted,they come in on the slip roads with abandon and if traffic has boxed you in you can be in deep doodoo.
I was quoting the M25 only in this respect as it seems to have a specific problem with cars being sideswiped by lorries from Eastern Europe.

Last edited:

jp williams

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 E class 2.2 cdi auto estate, Lexus GS 450h
Wouldn't it be nice if we could fit snowplow type blades to our MLs and 'encourage' people to move over to the inside lanes !

Apart from the personal annoyance aspect it is costing the country tens or even hundreds of millions to widen motorways when in a lot of instances better lane discipline would sort the problem out for free.

Step over the speed limit even slightly and you get booked by the ever-increasing array of speed cameras but drive without due care and attention (which is basically what middle or outside lane hoggers are doing) and they seem to get away with it.

I think one way to combat this would be to use the money from the speeding fines to finance more motorway patrols with the emphasis on good driving behaviour and not just speed as standards seem to be slipping fast.

With Gordon B and Alastair D not possessing driving licences it is not surprising that no priority is given to dealinjg with poor lane discipline.All it needs is the money to be found to permit police cars to patrol the national motorway network and force/encourage drivers to move to the left except when overtaking on the right.You do not see the same problem in France where the outside lane is an overtaking lane only.

Regards

OP
JEZ.S320L

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
.........No ! not invisible but if you stay in lane 1 it means you have to hop sideways 2 lanes every time you approach one......

Isn't that manoeuvre called O V E R T A K I N G..?

BUT, as I keep repeating - the inside lanes were almost EMPTY i.e. DEVOID OF VEHICLES.

Splatt

Reaction score
Isn't that manoeuvre called O V E R T A K I N G..?
You mean having to move TWO lanes over in self preservation ??
Try Googling" sideswiped on M25" and see just how much comes up.
At times the roads are empty you don`t have to worry about increasing road capacity.

Last edited:

GMK

Reaction score
It does seem to be a British malaise. I drive regularly in France, Germany and Italy and don't see poor lane behaviour on anything like the scale we have here. The M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh must be one of the worst examples: two lanes, with the inside almost empty and a permanent, slow-moving 40mph train of cars in the outside lane. Mad!

3146bj

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 B180CDI, 2008 Golf Pacific, 2013 VW Tiguan 103TDI
It does seem to be a British malaise. I drive regularly in France, Germany and Italy and don't see poor lane behaviour on anything like the scale we have here. The M8 between Glasgow and Edinburgh must be one of the worst examples: two lanes, with the inside almost empty and a permanent, slow-moving 40mph train of cars in the outside lane. Mad!

It's not just a British malaise. It's the same here, BUT we can overtake legally on the left, so if you want a quick trip just drive up the left hand lane at 100kph (the limit) while the dodo's plod up the other 3 lanes at 70-80 or even less. Keep an eye out for the B-double trucks (18m long and 50 tonnes) heading for an exit, though.

flying haggis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
63 plate CLS shooting brake,2.2D SWMBO has 14 plate B class diesel

just over take on the left and leave the middle and outside lane hoggers to it
your are allowed to go past on the left IF the other lanes are moving slower than you are!

100%Bitch

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
215 CL600, 216 Facelift CL500, 172 SLK55, Nissan Cube, R170 SLK230 & an Auto Trail Comanche.
just over take on the left and leave the middle and outside lane hoggers to it
your are allowed to go past on the left IF the other lanes are moving slower than you are!

That's exactly what I do and then pull over in front of them. It's even better if it's raining because with the size of my back tyres, it's like a lorry spraying you from close up.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
That's exactly what I do and then pull over in front of them. It's even better if it's raining because with the size of my back tyres, it's like a lorry spraying you from close up.

Does one's spray look big in this?

OP
JEZ.S320L

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes

If you have the time - and the inclination - just keep going round them. Its funny to see the look on their faces as you do it :D

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Last time I did this I failed to notice their uniforms, and boy did they look amused...:shock:

roofless

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 e220 estate
i think its time to grow up & just accept that peopel in lane 3 might have a life & in a hurry to go do somthing other than sit at a pc every night .prob best to try & get out more if you can afford it

OP
JEZ.S320L

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
i think its time to grow up & just accept that peopel in lane 3 might have a life & in a hurry to go do somthing other than sit at a pc every night .prob best to try & get out more if you can afford it

It's not the people who sit at their PC who cause the problems - it's people who sit in the middle lane that do. Perhaps it is THEY, who should stay IN more.! :D

Top Bottom