A light stick

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2010 S212 350 CGI // 2004 R230 500
Can anybody recommend a good battery powered work light? It must not be rechargeable and run from AA/C/D cells..

I have this Ring one. Which is decent enough, from 3xAA cells it gives 180 Lumens for £5 (£4 trade card Halfords). I feel like buying a second just in case it gives up the ghost.

There are times when I could do with a brighter, more broad direction and free standing unit.. Per

Ring-Utility-LED-Inspection-Light

Given this unit has been so good, I would be inclined to give this 10W Ring COB unit a go. Pricier at £45/£36.

What are peoples experience with Ring? They seem like a decent brand that are reliable but no frills and not expensive.

(Dang: Just noticed it's rechargeable.. what is it with rechargeable stuff!?)

279966e

Last edited:

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
We have these in our stores at work. They're very good ..... brilliant even! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Big Larry a bit battery hungry though.

They also do a Little Larry which is obviously smaller and fits your pocket better.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We have these in our stores at work. They're very good ..... brilliant even! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

They also do a Little Larry which is obviously smaller and fits your pocket better.

Very good you mention that model.. I had spotted the Big Larry alright and it looks good. What is your take on rechargeable vs traditional cells? I have a (admittedly Rolson) unit that I bought and had charged over night.. then within what felt like a few minutes use, it died. It's actually due to be returned.

My theory is that with an electronic device I can take out the batteries and put it on a shelf for 10 years, after which I pop new cells in and it's working. With a rechargeable unit the internal/non replaceable cell will probably be shot and require a new torch purchase.

While the chemistry might change, form factors such as AAA/AA/C/D will remain for a long time. I believe rechargeable suits the vendors more than the user.

You also have the bonus of swapping out the cells to instantly resume work.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
While not a stick/wand form factor.

I think this would be good and actually replace the Rolson unit which was a free standing COB type unit. This Nebo is rechargeable though :(

I see the big larry doesn't have an IP rating which is unfortunate.. whereas this does. I would like to think I could drop this unit out in the rain if needed while I change a tire / pitch a tent etc..

OMNI-2K-Hero_300dpi.jpg

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
What is your take on rechargeable vs traditional cells? .....

Though rechargeable can be handy, as you say, they always seem to go flat on you just when you want them.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Have a look in Lidl. I bought a stick type one with a magnet on one end, a strip of LEDs on the side and a torch type on the other end several years ago. It runs on 3 aaa batteries lasts long enough for me not to notice. The problem with Lidl is they are not immediately available but worth keeping an eye out for at about €10 or €12 from memory it's enough for my occasional use.

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Have a look in Lidl. I bought a stick type one with a magnet on one end, a strip of LEDs on the side and a torch type on the other end several years ago. It runs on 3 aaa batteries lasts long enough for me not to notice. The problem with Lidl is they are not immediately available but worth keeping an eye out for at about €10 or €12 from memory it's enough for my occasional use.

Will do thanks. You are right though. I usually buy stuff when I realise I need it and Lidl stuff usually comes around only a few times a year.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
Will do thanks. You are right though. I usually buy stuff when I realise I need it and Lidl stuff usually comes around only a few times a year.
337951_4.jpg

Got one of these this morning a bit "light" but very bright with a magnetic swivel and tilting base, torch at the end 3aaa batteries included. €5.99.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
337951_4.jpg

Got one of these this morning a bit "light" but very bright with a magnetic swivel and tilting base, torch at the end 3aaa batteries included. €5.99.
Bought a similar one from Aldi about 2 years ago, a great bit of kit.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Can anybody recommend a good battery powered work light? It must not be rechargeable and run from AA/C/D cells..

I have this Ring one. Which is decent enough, from 3xAA cells it gives 180 Lumens for £5 (£4 trade card Halfords). I feel like buying a second just in case it gives up the ghost.

There are times when I could do with a brighter, more broad direction and free standing unit.. Per

Ring-Utility-LED-Inspection-Light

Given this unit has been so good, I would be inclined to give this 10W Ring COB unit a go. Pricier at £45/£36.

What are peoples experience with Ring? They seem like a decent brand that are reliable but no frills and not expensive.

(Dang: Just noticed it's rechargeable.. what is it with rechargeable stuff!?)

279966e
You can buy the in Aldi, they come with magnetics, a hook, & are free standing.

Last edited:

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
71FiYqHePzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Best torch there is, hands free and great light 3Watts for size of it. I use mine in the quarry every morn now that its dark to get machines ready and handy to have in vehicle in case you get a flat wheel. runs on three AAA batteries

OP
Conor

Conor

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Best torch there is, hands free and great light 3Watts for size of it. I use mine in the quarry every morn now that its dark to get machines ready and handy to have in vehicle in case you get a flat wheel. runs on three AAA batteries

Agreed, I actually have one of these too, which I do use quite a bit.

I also like a general light to kind of flood the area too, though.

I got my Rolson light replaced in Halfords recently and it's working quite well.

https://www.halfords.com/tools/gara...on-10w-cob-rechargeable-work-lamp-826344.html

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
I also have one similar to photo although havent used it in a while but a great little led floodlight, cant remember what battery life is like and it is rechargable?
61nFgvJLNIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's

We exclusively use the Nebo Big Larry and other Nebo torches in the workshop. Mainly because of the magnetic base, meaning they are always A) in the same place and b) charged.

I think we have 5 now. We also have a big bonnet mounted rechargeable Ring branded light. Its battery life is very good, but the middle light has given up the ghost, and it was quite pricey.....

Top Bottom