A well timed bargain purchase

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
A month after I bought my SL320 last July the nearside catalytic converters decided to self destruct and started making an horrendous knocking noise. I replaced these with a new genuine MB item for £685 rather than an ECP special on the basis the original had lasted for 16 years. I asked if I should change the right hand ones at the same time and I was advised if they were fine to leave them so I did.

When I saw a new old stock right hand catalytic converter advertised a couple of months ago for £295 or best offer I offered £240 inc. p&p and got it.

Yesterday on my way back to Suffolk from Hertfordshire you've guessed it there was a catastrophic failure of the right hand cat. This caused cylinders 1-3 to misfire like buggery and I limped home like an ageing Honda Jazz driver for the last 20 miles. I think it must have been silently breaking up for some time, a back pressure check on that side showed 15 psi when the maximum should be 2 psi. So bargain replacement fitted and my car is running better than ever. :)

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
On classic cars it's always best to buy parts when you don't need them if you see them for a good price. I bought 2x brand new old stock front hydraulic shocks for my 6.9 earlier this year. Will save a fortune if I ever need them, and if I never do and sell the car they will be easy to sell on again

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
not just current classics, everytime i go home a buy a few well known fail items for my sl. as its statisically certain i will need them and as said anyone doing his research will know that and it will help the car move on should i wish that further down the road , abc pump , sbc , valve seal kits , gear shift lock, boot struts ect and about anything esle with three letter abveviation !!!!!!!

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Yea, and its likely these parts will only get more expensive, or worse still, extinct

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
On classic cars it's always best to buy parts when you don't need them if you see them for a good price. I bought 2x brand new old stock front hydraulic shocks for my 6.9 earlier this year. Will save a fortune if I ever need them, and if I never do and sell the car they will be easy to sell on again

I do if I see them but only if it's an expensive item or something that's likely to be hard to get. :)

Top Bottom