A238 E Class Convertible Roof strings worn and snapped

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A238 E Class Convertible 2018
Hi my 2018 E Class convertible roof would not open fully, when I have investigated it the strings (for a better word) have frayed and one side has snapped. I eventually got the roof to close properly and contacted my Mercedes branch to get them to take a look at it.

In the meantime i did some digging and found a technical bulletin issued by Daimler in 2019 stating cars produced between 2016 & 2019 may get this fault due to possible high tensile stress on the cords during the soft top sequence.

I passed all this info onto the Mercedes branch and they said they would pass this onto Mercedes as its out of warranty for a good will gesture. Got a reply yesterday from Mercedes who basically refused to do anything and the cost is £2000 to repair the dealer has been great but I'm not happy with Mercedes.

Anybody else had this issue? either way i would advise you check the strings regularly and if you see any signs to fraying get it booked in if its still under warranty.

Technical bulletin attached

Attachments

• LI77.30-P-070145_Ver_1 (2).pdf
    45 KB · Views: 74

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
I would contest "the dealer has been great".
They "passed this on to MB" (if you are being accurate - they didn't know about it)
Then they fell on their sword as MB have refused to do anything about it - they need to stand up to MB.

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Fair point and I'm not giving up so easily.

andybutters21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d cabriolet 2018
Hi my 2018 E Class convertible roof would not open fully, when I have investigated it the strings (for a better word) have frayed and one side has snapped. I eventually got the roof to close properly and contacted my Mercedes branch to get them to take a look at it.

In the meantime i did some digging and found a technical bulletin issued by Daimler in 2019 stating cars produced between 2016 & 2019 may get this fault due to possible high tensile stress on the cords during the soft top sequence.

I passed all this info onto the Mercedes branch and they said they would pass this onto Mercedes as its out of warranty for a good will gesture. Got a reply yesterday from Mercedes who basically refused to do anything and the cost is £2000 to repair the dealer has been great but I'm not happy with Mercedes.

Anybody else had this issue? either way i would advise you check the strings regularly and if you see any signs to fraying get it booked in if its still under warranty.

Hi, I have the same issue with my Jan 2018 e class, although the cables have not snapped yet. I recently noticed when lowering the roof with the remote key that part of the cables on each side looked white rather than black. On closer inspection the outer black fabric has worn and has exposed the core white cord beneath. The outer fabric has then gradually been pushed back as the cables pass through the guide eyes, a bit like how shoelaces sometimes wear. I was interested to hear if anyone else had this issue as I’m not impressed given it’s only 4 years old and not used much for 2yrs under covid. I previously had an A5 cabriolet which had no problem after 6 years.

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi I after a lot of going back and forth the Mercedes’ dealer eventually agreed to pay some of the cost, Mercedes itself refused to pay anything, I ended up paying £800 to get the car fixed. I have also raised a claim with the motor ombudsman who have accepted my case against mercedes to claim back the costs. The fix has a two year warranty so you can bet I’m checking monthly and it will be straight back if the problem returns. I used to put both my cars through Mercedes’ for servicing etc but not anymore as putting it politely I was not happy with the lack of acceptance of the design/manufacturing fault

andybutters21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d cabriolet 2018
Thanks for the update. I’m about to approach my local dealer, Mercedes Cheshire Oaks, to see what their response is. Will let you know how I get on. Have you got your £800 back yet, and did you get the whole roof replaced or just the cables?

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks for the update. I’m about to approach my local dealer, Mercedes Cheshire Oaks, to see what their response is. Will let you know how I get on. Have you got your £800 back yet, and did you get the whole roof replaced or just the cables?
The ombudsman said it would take up to six months to has my case reviewed but it being accepted by them is a good start. They have to replace the liner when replacing the strings, they said the liner was damaged by the failing strings but in reality they have to split the liner to replace the strings

mikey100100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 2018 350 diesel
The ombudsman said it would take up to six months to has my case reviewed but it being accepted by them is a good start. They have to replace the liner when replacing the strings, they said the liner was damaged by the failing strings but in reality they have to split the liner to replace the strings
hi there i also have same problem as yourself
Hi I after a lot of going back and forth the Mercedes’ dealer eventually agreed to pay some of the cost, Mercedes itself refused to pay anything, I ended up paying £800 to get the car fixed. I have also raised a claim with the motor ombudsman who have accepted my case against mercedes to claim back the costs. The fix has a two year warranty so you can bet I’m checking monthly and it will be straight back if the problem returns. I used to put both my cars through Mercedes’ for servicing etc but not anymore as putting it politely I was not happy with the lack of acceptance of the design/manufacturing fault
Hi I also have the same issue , i had the first fix done under warranty but didn't work and the same happened after about 20 operations....went down same route as yourself after the second time mercedes dealer said it was out of warranty so now have to pay half of cost £2400 /£1200 which i refused as this clearly is a bad design by mercedes , so now also gone down the ombudsman route , maybe you could quote my case no to ombudsman as we are both in same boat and this would reinforce our claims , and maybe i could quote your ref , just a thought anyway my case no is _OOD24q5e1._5004H1Ebll9 , hopefully we can get this sorted
best regards

Mikey 100100

Last edited:
OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi there i also have same problem as yourself

Hi I also have the same issue , i had the first fix done under warranty but didn't work and the same happened after about 20 operations....went down same route as yourself after the second time mercedes dealer said it was out of warranty so now have to pay half of cost £2400 /£1200 which i refused as this clearly is a bad design by mercedes , so now also gone down the ombudsman route , maybe you could quote my case no to ombudsman as we are both in same boat and this would reinforce our claims , and maybe i could quote your ref , just a thought anyway my case no is _OOD24q5e1._5004H1Ebll9 , hopefully we can get this sorted
best regards

Mikey 100100
Hi, yes I will definitely send them your case number to hopefully bolster our claims, my case number is 00D24q5e1._5004H1Cr7G1

thanks tony

Ruth Clifford

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class 220 2018
Hi
Ive just checked mine due to rattling noise and both of the strings have snapped. Just booked it into Warrington Mercedes. They tell me the whole roof needs to be replace. Any improvement on the replacements? How long will the warranty on the new roof be? Clearly a design flaw.

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi
Ive just checked mine due to rattling noise and both of the strings have snapped. Just booked it into Warrington Mercedes. They tell me the whole roof needs to be replace. Any improvement on the replacements? How long will the warranty on the new roof be? Clearly a design flaw.
I was told two year warranty for the repair but I bet they will dispute that if a have a repeat issue. I’m checking monthly and the first sign of wear it’s going back in, my understanding was that the replacement has a slight change to reduce stress but still uses the same cord/string. So we will see.

Tiggerg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabriolet 2018

I have the 2018 cabriolet and a couple of the strings on the near side have gone. I contacted Mercedes and their Amsterdam office called me and they "MIGHT" consider helping with the price to replace. I have to take the car to be assessed. I will keep anyone that is interested with the update. Whatever happens the strings/cords must be replaced.

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes please, the ombudsman is reviewing my case currently and said I should hear within 90days. Fingers crossed they agree that this should be covert by Mercedes due to a design fault.

mikey100100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 2018 350 diesel
Hi guys update i have just had the new conversion for the roof cords problem done , the ombudsman managed to contact original mercedes
dealer to pay my half of the costs so all done free of charge ,( out of warranty) i have been assured the new fix is definately a solution for this problem well we'll see only time will tell ,btw the cords appear to be stronger and made from a different material

Tiggerg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabriolet 2018
Hi guys update i have just had the new conversion for the roof cords problem done , the ombudsman managed to contact original mercedes
dealer to pay my half of the costs so all done free of charge ,( out of warranty) i have been assured the new fix is definately a solution for this problem well we'll see only time will tell ,btw the cords appear to be stronger and made from a different material
Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed for us all now!

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Could you take some photos of the cords as mine were replaced in march and I didn’t think they were different certainly not from the photos I had of my snapped cords. Cheers

mikey100100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e class 2018 350 diesel
Could you take some photos of the cords as mine were replaced in march and I didn’t think they were different certainly not from the photos I had of my snapped cords. Cheers
yes i can do that , haven't got the car with me today , but tomorrow i will :)

OP
P

patersont

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Great news the ombudsman has just upheld my claim and instructed Mercedes Benz to refund me the £700 I had to pay to fix the fault. See attached still a shame I had to go this route versus MB doing the right thing

Attachments

• Tony Paterson vs. Mercedes-Benz of Newcastle upon Tyne - 00144954.pdf
    809.4 KB · Views: 73

Tiggerg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabriolet 2018
I take my cabriolet in to JCT Mercedes, York on the 6 October to be assessed. Whatever happens, the cords need sorting but I hope that MB honour the problem and sort it out fairly for me. Will keep all posted as and when.

Top Bottom