a250e - Spare Wheel

5hamonemf

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a250e
Hi all, can any owners of the a250e confirm if this comes with either a spare wheel, space saver, inflatation can etc.

Thanks

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
whats in the boot, whats in the manual

Welcome to the forum, hope you stick around

Ron240

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sold - 2021 CLA 35 Premium.
I would be amazed if any A class comes with a spare wheel, because the CLA definitely doesn't.
In fact does any new current Mercedes come with a spare...because I thought they all had a tyre inflation kit.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Soon wheels will be in "options" they will come on f skates!!! No spares, run flats, pump up tyres ect how the modern female that can't use a microwave goin to work that out! Frankly some "sheltered" lads as well. I, on steel wheels, change my own tyres wheels on side of road especially in de Bush, no f ats of aa out there!!, here. My mates lad was doin this at 15.!

Nicko989

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A250e/2021/plugin hybrid
Hi all, can any owners of the a250e confirm if this comes with either a spare wheel, space saver, inflatation can etc.

Thanks
I just took delivery of the A250e and it comes with an inflation kit.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Apart from cost and weight saving, they don't have spare wheels anymore as there is nowhere to put them. The traditional "wheel well" area now houses ad blu tanks or hybrid batteries. I read that the A250e exhaust pipe even exits under the drivers seat area of the car as there is no room for it to reach the back of the car due to relocating the extremely small petrol tank as the hybrid battery was in the way.

Jeff smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 Hybrid Estate
I can confirm that this is absolutely correct. I have a E300 hybrid estate, and was disappointed to discover it didn't have a spare wheel. I purchased a space-saver spare wheel kit, only to discover that Mercedes in it's wisdom, have bolted the hybrid battery, along with it's large carrier right in the middle of the spare wheel well - absolute stupidity! I've currently got the area under the rear luggage platform stripped out, but after measuring every available option, I can't find a home for the space-saver. Does anyone have any suggestions? A lot of the versatility of an estate is lost if one has the spare wheel lying in the load area. Perhaps I could bolt it to the top of the bonnet, like a military Land-Rover?!!

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I can confirm that this is absolutely correct. I have a E300 hybrid estate, and was disappointed to discover it didn't have a spare wheel. I purchased a space-saver spare wheel kit, only to discover that Mercedes in it's wisdom, have bolted the hybrid battery, along with it's large carrier right in the middle of the spare wheel well - absolute stupidity! I've currently got the area under the rear luggage platform stripped out, but after measuring every available option, I can't find a home for the space-saver. Does anyone have any suggestions? A lot of the versatility of an estate is lost if one has the spare wheel lying in the load area. Perhaps I could bolt it to the top of the bonnet, like a military Land-Rover?!!
When did you last need a spare wheel? You bought a spare before checking if there was space to fit one? Hybrid batteries and AdBlue tanks now take the place once occupied by spare wheels.
A couple of cans of tyre weld and a small compressor will no doubt fit somewhere and give you some reassurance.

Jeff smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 Hybrid Estate
I have a small compressor, and tyre weld, but they give me no comfort at all. I have ridden motorcycles for the 40 years, and know from bitter experience how useless this method of tyre repair actually is. I have needed a spare wheel on 3 occasions during thelast 5 years. Perhaps I am just unlucky! I did buy the spare wheel kit without checking it would fit, it's true, but I dislike driving without a spare wheel, and felt sure I could find a space somewhere, and would just have to carry the spare in the load area until I did. Shame on Mercedes Benz for putting its customers on this position. My wife has a Volvo, and that has full size spare wheel, In the 30's, cars (including Mercedes Benz) were often supplied with 2 spare wheels. What price progress?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
I hope you crossed your fingers when you said that ;)
I like living dangerously... ;) I've 3 cars (and 2 motorbikes...:rolleyes:) without spare wheels :eek:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have a small compressor, and tyre weld, but they give me no comfort at all. I have ridden motorcycles for the 40 years, and know from bitter experience how useless this method of tyre repair actually is. I have needed a spare wheel on 3 occasions during thelast 5 years. Perhaps I am just unlucky! I did buy the spare wheel kit without checking it would fit, it's true, but I dislike driving without a spare wheel, and felt sure I could find a space somewhere, and would just have to carry the spare in the load area until I did. Shame on Mercedes Benz for putting its customers on this position. My wife has a Volvo, and that has full size spare wheel, In the 30's, cars (including Mercedes Benz) were often supplied with 2 spare wheels. What price progress?
90 years ago... cars, tyres and the roads were very different indeed ;)

People want cheap cars with good fuel economy and plenty of technology, spare wheels add cost, weight and take up space. Emissions carp needs to be fitted somewhere and the dead weight of hybrid batteries has to have a home

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
They remove spares to reduce weight to gain better emmissions, then chuck in a wall of batteries that weigh 10 times as much.... hahah good one!

Jeff smith

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 Hybrid Estate
Well, I've given in, and put the load area back togther again. A spare will not fit anywhere. I can only hope that this information saves some other E-class owner going through the same pain. I have to say that this is the most unhelpful forum I've ever experienced. You all seem convinced that Mercedes Benz are right in everything they do, and we just have to learn to live with their arrogant customer service. Really all they are doing is living off their past glories. This sort of attitude would have never given us the late 30's 540K, or the early 50's 300SL Gullwing! If they put their minds to it, during the design stage, a home could have been found for a space-saver spare wheel. Bristol aircraft, used to have a car division, that built fine English cars to aircraft standards. Here's Bristol's solution to the spare wheel problem.
040cd6acb6ac89b63f31fdd4075292aa.jpg
This is why the British came up with the Harrier 40 years before the Americans, Russians, Chinese, or anyone else came up with a workable VTOL aircraft

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well, I've given in, and put the load area back togther again. A spare will not fit anywhere. I can only hope that this information saves some other E-class owner going through the same pain. I have to say that this is the most unhelpful forum I've ever experienced. You all seem convinced that Mercedes Benz are right in everything they do, and we just have to learn to live with their arrogant customer service. Really all they are doing is living off their past glories. This sort of attitude would have never given us the late 30's 540K, or the early 50's 300SL Gullwing! If they put their minds to it, during the design stage, a home could have been found for a space-saver spare wheel. Bristol aircraft, used to have a car division, that built fine English cars to aircraft standards. Here's Bristol's solution to the spare wheel problem.
View attachment 74383
This is why the British came up with the Harrier 40 years before the Americans, Russians, Chinese, or anyone else came up with a workable VTOL aircraft
How’s the Bristol brand doing these days…;)

You’ve already had the reason Mercedes don’t fit a spare, it’s more to do with emissions carp than poor design. I’m not defending it, I’m explaining it…

You’ve obviously not read much of the forum if that is your opinion of it and the members…:rolleyes:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
How’s the Bristol brand doing these days…;)
I remember the old days when you opened the bonnet and could see the road underneath the engine, the engine bay had plenty of large gaps all around it.
I suspect if Bristol had to fit all the emissions control equipment, cats, intercoolers and piping, extra radiators, air con, ABS etc etc, they would not have been able to fit a spare wheel there either.

Top Bottom