A5 service. Double Dutch?

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
Hi all, my W204's ASSYST PLUS is showing X amount of miles before an A5 service is due. I have rang a couple of dealers re booking her in for the A5 service only to be told its an A service. I explain that its saying A5 but they insist its an A! When I explain further I get the old 'Oh I see....'

Am I talking Double Dutch or is my ASSYST PLUS? Should dealers not know about this if its appearing on their cars? Also would an ATF change not be due? (48,000mls) I got quoted £229 for an A service and around £200 if ATF is changed.

Yours expectantly Blue.:shock:

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Some have numbers, other lots of letters (I believe mine goes to H or something). Basically yes its pretty meaningless. There are 2 services, a big one and a little (oil change) one. Aside from that, as you say, everything else is a time or mileage based extra. ATF at 48k, brake fluid every years, combination filters every so often etc.
The dealer should be able to tell from the service history and the mileage what is required so they start with the A/B decision and go from there.

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
...... There are 2 services, a big one and a little (oil change) one. .

Don't you mean there's a hugely expensive one then the "bend over, close your eyes and brace yourself" one??

:D:D

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Hi all, my W204's ASSYST PLUS is showing X amount of miles before an A5 service is due. I have rang a couple of dealers re booking her in for the A5 service only to be told its an A service. I explain that its saying A5 but they insist its an A! When I explain further I get the old 'Oh I see....'

Am I talking Double Dutch or is my ASSYST PLUS? Should dealers not know about this if its appearing on their cars? Also would an ATF change not be due? (48,000mls) I got quoted £229 for an A service and around £200 if ATF is changed.

Those are cheap. I haven't been to Agnews for ten years, and it was always £300 + then.

OP
T

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
I usually go to Harrogate but time does not allow on this occasion. I originally went to Agnews to buy the car but decided against it when the salesman decided to call me stupid! I ll give them a chance to redeem themselves and get my custom back. It must be a sign of age but I just get the feeling customer service in general is dead.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I usually go to Harrogate but time does not allow on this occasion. I originally went to Agnews to buy the car but decided against it when the salesman decided to call me stupid! I ll give them a chance to redeem themselves and get my custom back. It must be a sign of age but I just get the feeling customer service in general is dead.

Still alive and well - albeit in Harrogate as you well know.;-)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.

Who was that, you can whisper if you like!

zeeshh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d / 2017/W213, E220 CDI/2013/W212, E250 CDI/2011/W212, E250 CDI/2010/W212, C180/2002/W203
I gave my W212 (E250) to MB garage today as temp gauge was playing up. They changed the temp sensor, under warranty, all seems ok now. However, the service manager tried to sell me the service care plan which i didn't buy yet and checked the Assyst plus and next service is due in 270 days, A5 Service.

I bought this car 3 weeks before 35K on the clock and so far only 2 services have been done (just oil and oil filter changed both times), why A5 service indicator? and where i can find the details of these services?
cheers...

N

npuk

Assyst Plus was the old variable service system used in cars upto 2007. It never had a 'A5' indicator.

From then onwards it has been Assyst Fixed. Yours will be this but never personally heard of it asking for A5. Your service book may have more info on what A5 means.

There are only two service types A or B and the dash indicator doesnt refer to what type of service it is. The letters on the dash extend pass B.

zeeshh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d / 2017/W213, E220 CDI/2013/W212, E250 CDI/2011/W212, E250 CDI/2010/W212, C180/2002/W203
I observed strange thing today on my ASSIST PLUS (W212, E250), as I mentioned earlier that it was showing next A5 service in 270 days, today it is showing next A1 service in 270 days. What is going on ....

I did open the coolant washer bottle cap this morning to check if it needs top up. is it due to this the A5 became A1 ? What is A1 service?

cheers...

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It no doubt means something to the guy that designed it but to the dealers it's meaningless.
It is, and really has always been, an A or a B, plus time based extras. It can swap and change its mind as time goes on, possibly due to time or maybe mileage or perhaps you've braked once too often. Point is, whatever prompted the change (it won't be opening the filler - it's very clever but not that clever) , it will have no effect at service time. I suspect it's part of an attempt to make all services customised to the car's specific requirements but implementation at a dealer level is still a long way off so they just do whatever the paper schedule says.
I have seen mine change it's mind from an A to a B which was upsetting but then it had also changed it's mind on when the service was due and given me another couple of thousand miles.

Top Bottom