ABS (speed sensor)

karlk

Reaction score
evening all, what a great day i have had (not). Does anyone know if the ABS fault light activates if there is conflict with the autobox and speed sensors. I have had fault codes read and the only fault codes reocurring is speed sensor, no ABS fault light showing but the ABS is working and does show a fault if i disconnect anything on the ABS circuit. The valve block and conductor plate in the box is brand new from mercedes so should not be any problems there. Any ideas.

cheers

karl

OP
K

karlk

Reaction score
1997 c180 with the 5 speed auto.

OP
K

karlk

Reaction score
thats what im hoping for, one of the speed sensors breaking down. Gonna change the diff box oil anyway so i will start by replacing the rear sensor as there is only 1 at the rear. then clear the codes again and see what happens.

OP
K

karlk

Reaction score
hi malcolm, thanks for that drawing. still waiting for my sailing parrots master copy of WIS to turn up. Theres nothing in haynes for the speed sensors electrical circuit. I have already removed the rear sensor ( in pieces ) 100% sure it was the original fitted one, real B*****d to get out, took a lot of workshop tricks to remove but done.

BABASON

Reaction score
Sir,

Iam guessing here but this speed sensor fault you read was in gearbox control module, No ???

Because i suspect you r confusing abs speed sensor with gearbox speed sensor in gearbox

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sir,

Iam guessing here but this speed sensor fault you read was in gearbox control module, No ???

Because i suspect you r confusing abs speed sensor with gearbox speed sensor in gearbox

Not quite, the gearbox needs a speed sensor signal, as does the ESP/BAS. the ABS has its own wheel speed sensor in each hub, the road speed sensor is always in a front wheel

OP
K

karlk

Reaction score
If the autobox speed sensor is fitted to the conductor plate then this should be working ok as it is brand new. i thought the gearbox and road speed sensors work in tandem, communicate, for correct gear selection. If not then im baffled. If anyone knows please help.

cheers

karl

colechelle

Resigned
Reaction score
If the autobox speed sensor is fitted to the conductor plate then this should be working ok as it is brand new. i thought the gearbox and road speed sensors work in tandem, communicate, for correct gear selection. If not then im baffled. If anyone knows please help.

cheers

karl

the speed sensor in the gear box would not light the abs light, it would put a fault in the ETC control module and that in turn would put the engine light on, go with Malc on this one RPM sensor going from what you have said!!

OP
K

karlk

Reaction score
Malc (television) could you please give me any info you have on the rpm sensor. i.e. where it is.

cheers

karl

colechelle

Resigned
Reaction score
if you find somebody with a star machine you can check actual values on each sensor at the same time, best way to check!!

OP
K

karlk

Reaction score
thanks colechelle. I have been using a snap on diagnostic code reader and a carsoft reader. the carsorft reads rpm fault and the snap on reads speed sensor, are they reading the same fault.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom