AC compressor advice (not Mercedes!!)

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 320 cdi Sport 7 seat estate
Hi, I need a bit of advice, but apologies this is in regard to my mums car. The ac declined last year then stopped working, we tried to get it regased and they said it was leaking so aborted. The condenser was replaced last week and they had an ac engineer round to gas it.

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Hi, I need a bit of advice, but apologies this is in regard to my mums car. The ac declined last year then stopped working, we tried to get it regased and they said it was leaking so aborted. The condenser was replaced last week and they had an ac engineer round to gas it.
Is there a question in there or are you just telling us that you had your mums car AC regassed? :)

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I suspect the point of the post was to ask, would a condenser really need to be replaced?

if that's the question, YES they fail all day long

Its the biggest cause of lost gas and AC not working. If its a Merc then its dead by 9 years but most limp on for 11 years leaking out the gas... it can last 6 to 9 months between top ups for 3 years. Then many cars of this vintage end up in a skip, so many owners don't know it was ever gone...

if its a VAG expect 5 years

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
condensors fail due to rot, in the hot weather turn them off 5 mins before you stop so they dry out.

My w220 ac still works perfectly and its 16 years old.

To the OP get some dye in the system and find the source of leak. Use a proper garage!

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is there a question in there or are you just telling us that you had your mums car AC regassed? :)
Sorry, weirdly loads of that got deleted, not on purpose! Yeah, had an attempt, went to QF. I'm normally very wary of such places, especially after my dreadful experience at National Tyres last year, absolute clowns/bxxxxxds. However, these guys were really good, I've been disappointed at other branches, but this seems a good one.

The car took the R7 but the compressor wouldn't run. The guy actually ran a diagnostic for me, and got it started, but it kept cutting out. Needs a new compressor by the looks for things. It's juat had a new condenser.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted

Last edited:
OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry, weirdly loads of that got deleted, not on purpose! Yeah, had an attempt, went to QF. I'm normally very wary of such places, especially after my dreadful experience at National Tyres last year, absolute clowns/bxxxxxds. However, these guys were really good, I've been disappointed at other branches, but this seems a good one.

The car took the R7 but the compressor wouldn't run. The guy actually ran a diagnostic for me, and got it started, but it kept cutting out. Needs a new compressor by the looks for things. It's juat had a new condenser.

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted
Just to add, my contempt for NT was their not balancing my wheels properly, attempting to rip me off, and jacking my car up in the wrong place damaging the sill. I unfortunately didn't realise until I got home. Had I done so a evidential video would have been made, and their insurers would have been paying to repair it.

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012
I suspect the point of the post was to ask, would a condenser really need to be replaced?

if that's the question, YES they fail all day long

Its the biggest cause of lost gas and AC not working. If its a Merc then its dead by 9 years but most limp on for 11 years leaking out the gas... it can last 6 to 9 months between top ups for 3 years. Then many cars of this vintage end up in a skip, so many owners don't know it was ever gone...

if its a VAG expect 5 years

Looks like my 1992 merc is bucking this trend then, a/c working perfectly, no leaks and still with the original condenser.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Looks like my 1992 merc is bucking this trend then, a/c working perfectly, no leaks and still with the original condenser.
My 93 129 ditto.
But then, it never gets driven on salty winter roads.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

they used to be made properly.... on current cars bacofoil is far stronger,

check Porsche forums.... lucky to get 3 years out any radiator, intercooler or condenser

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP

check Porsche forums.... lucky to get 3 years out any radiator, intercooler or condenser
I had 10 years out of my 977 condensers (1 each side)
The reason they fail is road detritus comes into the openings and sits at the bottom of the condensers and they corrode until they leak.
I made up some 5mm stainless steel mesh coverings which I fixed into the 3 openings (ATF cooler in the middle). That stopped the leaves and rubbish getting in and the condensers have been perfect since then.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
condensors fail due to rot, in the hot weather turn them off 5 mins before you stop so they dry out.

My w220 ac still works perfectly and its 16 years old.

To the OP get some dye in the system and find the source of leak. Use a proper garage!

It’s a valid point, but the aim is to dry the evaporator. The condenser at the front of the car is the hot part of the system, and can be surprisingly hot when the ac is on. The evaporator inside the car is the cold side. It does generate a lot of condensation in operation, and you’ll see it draining under the car often too. Switching off to dry the evaporator before stopping the car helps to dry it and combats bacterial growth in there too, which creates the bad smells

Bogus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 230E 1992. BMW X3 2.0 d. X drive 2012

Yes I know, my son has just replaced his on a 2014 peugot and the guy who serviced my a/c tells me that condensers and condenser inlet lines are a huge part of his livliehood.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The new part arrived, they offered either a reconditioned version at £125 or a new one for £175. My father went with the latter, but the case clearly isn't new, you can see spanner marks etc. However, I don't really expect a new one for that money either, so is the extra £50 just a cynical ploy?

Attachments

• IMG-20200625-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0007.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20200625-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0009.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG-20200625-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20200625-WA0012.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 14

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The new part arrived, they offered either a reconditioned version at £125 or a new one for £175. My father went with the latter, but the case clearly isn't new, you can see spanner marks etc. However, I don't really expect a new one for that money either, so is the extra £50 just a cynical ploy?
Looks new to me. Someone had to assemble it and I dont think spanner mark's are out of place.

OP
M

matthew k

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks new to me. Someone had to assemble it and I dont think spanner mark's are out of place.
Just below the hole where it clamps on, you can see where the head of a spanner has previously been, although it's been painted over. TBH, I'm not really worried, so long as it works. But I don't like being deceived that's all.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom