Advice c class W204 2013

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
Hello, haven't been here for a while, back into mercs now, so buying my wife a used 2013 w204 220 cdi 7 tronic plus executive.

Anything I need to look out for on these bar the obvious checks? I see the service is all now electronic, how do I go about logging onto all that as a new owner? How do I tell if the gear box oil has been changed? There is a print out the guy has got from mercedes, but the last service was completed by a used car dealer so who knows what's really been completed by then. He seems to have a slight issue with a sticking foot/hand brake...is that a common issue? Seems to drive well, quite powerful, cheers.

Steve

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
Hello, haven't been here for a while, back into mercs now, so buying my wife a used 2013 w204 220 cdi 7 tronic plus executive.

Anything I need to look out for on these bar the obvious checks? I see the service is all now electronic, how do I go about logging onto all that as a new owner? How do I tell if the gear box oil has been changed? There is a print out the guy has got from mercedes, but the last service was completed by a used car dealer so who knows what's really been completed by then. He seems to have a slight issue with a sticking foot/hand brake...is that a common issue? Seems to drive well, quite powerful, cheers.

Steve
Sticking foot brakes are common, I recently replaced both back shoes and all the components to go with it. Wasn't terribly expensive. You could try a touch of release spray under the steering wheel on the linkages that connect the footbrake sometimes this can be problematic.

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C220 Sport CDI estate
That will have the OM651 engine. What is the mileage? If you can, be worth listening for any rattles when starting from cold. Timing chain is a weak point on these engines, and with many of them now racking up the miles, it’s becoming more of a problem.
I’ve just had mine replaced. The Indy I use say they are doing so many now, it’s becoming a routine job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Probably a good idea to post a link to the car advert to get best feedback

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
That will have the OM651 engine. What is the mileage? If you can, be worth listening for any rattles when starting from cold. Timing chain is a weak point on these engines, and with many of them now racking up the miles, it’s becoming more of a problem.
I’ve just had mine replaced. The Indy I use say they are doing so many now, it’s becoming a routine job.

Oh bugger...I've bought it now! It's done 63,000 miles. I had a 3 series a few years back where the timing chain broke, n47 problem cost me a fortune. What should I do, advice please.

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh bugger...I've bought it now! It's done 63,000 miles. I had a 3 series a few years back where the timing chain broke, n47 problem cost me a fortune. What should I do, advice please.

That’s the exact reason I steered clear of a BMW. Little did I know the merc would suffer the same...
To be honest, it’s not as bad on the merc, as long as you catch it early enough. At 63000 miles you should be ok. I bought mine on 72k and was fine up until last year when it hit about 98k I had the odd rattle on cold starts. The noise is quite loud so you won’t miss it, lasts for around 3 seconds and only on a cold start. Once you start hearing that, I’d think about getting it done.
Chain on these can be replaced without removing the engine, so labour costs are much reduced. Was a 4 hour job for my Indy...
Apologies if I’ve just ruined that satisfied feeling of picking up a new car. You are going to constantly be listening out for it now, especially if it’s happened to you before

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
That’s the exact reason I steered clear of a BMW. Little did I know the merc would suffer the same...
To be honest, it’s not as bad on the merc, as long as you catch it early enough. At 63000 miles you should be ok. I bought mine on 72k and was fine up until last year when it hit about 98k I had the odd rattle on cold starts. The noise is quite loud so you won’t miss it, lasts for around 3 seconds and only on a cold start. Once you start hearing that, I’d think about getting it done.
Chain on these can be replaced without removing the engine, so labour costs are much reduced. Was a 4 hour job for my Indy...
Apologies if I’ve just ruined that satisfied feeling of picking up a new car. You are going to constantly be listening out for it now, especially if it’s happened to you before

I know what a nightmare. But then I'm glad you let me know....cheers. how much did it cost u to replace chain, I expect at an indy it was at least £400 plus parts

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013

I had the rattle in the morning and fixed it with a new chain tensioner at 180k miles. My car is the S204 C250 CDI 4-matic 2013 and now has 230k miles. I change the engine oil and filter every 6k miles.
I think it’s way too early to worry about timing chain. Just disable start/stop on every start and have the engine oil/filter changed at 5k or 6k miles.
Enjoy your new car!

Last edited:

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had the rattle in the morning and fixed it with a new chain tensioner at 180k miles. My car is the S204 C250 CDI 4-matic 2013 and now has 230k miles. I change the engine oil and filter every 6k miles.
I think it’s way too early to worry about timing chain. Just disable start/stop on every start and have the engine oil/filter changed at 5k or 6k miles.
Enjoy your new car!

I agree, stop/start has a big part to play in this. Personally I wasn’t prepared to take the risk with just changing the tensioner. The Indy said the chain had stretched, so I’m glad I had it replaced, just for peace of mind.
A colleague had a w204 c250 which he owned from 6 months old and sold on 230k miles, never had any rattles from the chain, but he did many motorway miles...

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I know what a nightmare. But then I'm glad you let me know....cheers. how much did it cost u to replace chain, I expect at an indy it was at least £400 plus parts

I had a service done at the same time, as it was due, and they have to drain the oil when changing the chain anyway. Cost me just under £1k which I thought wasn’t too bad..
If yours isn’t making any noise there’s really nothing to worry about at this stage. Enjoy it

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400

Regular oil changes. Mines almost 140k in and runs like a dream.

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
Ok so regular oil changes, so none of this 20k gap, longlife servicing rediculousnous it had a service at around 56k its on 63 now so could do with a change very soon I suppose, its been a year, it was an A service that was done last time from a used car dealer that sold it to my seller. I don't think it's ever had a gearbox oil change either, do you recommend this, cant see it in any of the history print out. Also apparently it's all online now as well, how the hell do I log onto that!

Last edited:

steve gooding

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok so regular oil changes, so none of this 20k gap, longlife servicing rediculousnous it had a service at around 56k its on 63 now so could do with a change very soon I suppose, its been a year, it was an A service that was done last time from a used car dealer that sold it to my seller. I don't think it's ever had a gearbox oil change either, do you recommend this, cant see it in any of the history print out. Also apparently it's all online now as well, how the hell do I log onto that!

When I bought mine, I had it serviced right away. The Indy I use have access to the online service records and were able to print it all for me.
As for the chain, I think it depends on what kind of life the car has had. Like I said, a colleague ran his up to 230k miles without any problems, but did many motorway miles. Mine started rattling very occasionally at around the 100k mark.
Disable the stop/start and regular servicing you should be fine.

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
Auto gearbox oil change every 37k miles, often gets missed.

Dean Fletcher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes E400
When I bought mine, I had it serviced right away. The Indy I use have access to the online service records and were able to print it all for me.
As for the chain, I think it depends on what kind of life the car has had. Like I said, a colleague ran his up to 230k miles without any problems, but did many motorway miles. Mine started rattling very occasionally at around the 100k mark.
Disable the stop/start and regular servicing you should be fine.

Stop start disable is a must.

gianton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C250 CDI 4Matic Avantgarde - 2013
7g+ gearbox recommended interval is 77670 miles or 5 years, I do mine every 50000 miles.

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
Many thanks for advice. Gearbox oil change booked along with full service. £300. Can I ask what's one a major service on a Merc?

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
Fortunately the W204 has an early type abomination system for stop strain abomination .

This means it is easily permanently disabled without the fear of Christmas lights or purchasing a £100 obd plug in that turns the default to off as a remembered last setting .

First I trialled a simple boot auxiliary battery 7.5A fuse removal .

image_e42179bfd8155d6915f09cb20919ddc081231894.jpg

All good and I still have brake HOLD .

Then I found how to acquire a 5 Kg paper weight .

The paper weight .

20200923_182218.jpg

As before , I'm as happy as Larry .

What perplexes me is people spend good money on replacing both main and auxiliary batteries ( both my working originals are 10 years old ) to enable a system to destroy their car .

Then there are those who have to have it working as they see it as a fault to rectify only to disable , seems to be a Mercedes mindset thing , the mind boggles...

OP
Concho

Concho

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220D Sport
Can I disable the start stop using a proper odb2 fault diagnosis reader? My mechanic has a really decent one that was about £1700. I wouldn't bother if it was my car but it's actually my wife's and she will always forget to turn it off!

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
No , needs going into the developer coding with Exentry .

Just pull the 7.5A fuse or remove the paper weight .

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom