Advice on a W219 CLS55/W211 E55K and W212 E63 AMG

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Apologies if this has been covered but, it did not show in the search.

After some consideration, I'm potentially looking to buy an unmolested CLS55 or E55K AMG. However, before I do decide, I'd welcome reviews from those who have either owned or, have experience with the 5.5 supercharged engines and the CLS. Areas of concerns, recalls, reliability, weak points, rust, are these engines known to have excessive oil consumption issues, are the gearbox's strong, life expectancy of a supercharger etc?

I'm half heartedly also considering the W212 E63 bi-turbo so reliability and longevity on these would also be welcome.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
@AMGeed is your man for the E55, and also now has the W212 E63 5.5 Bi-Turbo so should be able to give a good comparison over both. I had the latter model for 2 years trouble free and a cracking car (made better with a stage 1 c700bhp)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sound of the supercharger on full chat is glorious :) and very addictive

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
@AMGeed is your man for the E55, and also now has the W212 E63 5.5 Bi-Turbo so should be able to give a good comparison over both. I had the latter model for 2 years trouble free and a cracking car (made better with a stage 1 c700bhp)

Lucky me:D

If you can find a good unmolested example, the E55 is a wonderful car. Had mine for over 6 almost trouble free years and until owning the W212 E63 Biturbo, the best car I've had.

Lots of things to look out for but mainly checking the air suspension raises and lowers equally and stays up, no error messages on the cluster, ensure all electrics work like mirrors, heated seats, dynamic seats, parking sensors, glass roof. All can be expensive to put right.
Gearboxes are tough and I had zero issues. An ATF change at an indy is under £200 inc parts and labour.
AMG engines can use a bit of oil and its not uncommon to see up to a litre/1k miles. I was fortunate in only having to top up once in over 20k miles. Look out for blue smoke on acceleration.

Check wheel arches the bottom of the doors and around the headlights for signs of rust. The 211 is generally pretty good from what I've seen compared to the W210.

I'd shy away from a car with cheapo ditch finder tyres. To me it shows an owner who skimps on quality. Finally, a good service history is important. Have the pugs been changed every 4 yrs/50k miles/ ATF should be done every 37k miles.
Its a really solid car that will give a lot of fun if you get a good one. Choose unwisely and it could cost you a lot of money to put right.

Going on to the W212 E63 Biturbo, as John above says, cracking car and honestly a step up in performance. If you are chasing big bhp, 700bhp+ and under 4 sec 0-60 can be achieved for about £700.
I loved the E55, but if you budget allows, go for the later W212 63. I think its a far better car but that is subjective.
You won't be disappointed whichever model you choose.

Nearly forgot, this thread helped me no end when I was looking for my E55 back in 2013.
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/w211-e55-some-essential-questions.140603/#post-1588581

Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Lucky me:D

If you can find a good unmolested example, the E55 is a wonderful car. Had mine for over 6 almost trouble free years and until owning the W212 E63 Biturbo, the best cat I've had.

Lots of things to look out for but mainly checking the air suspension raises and lowers equally and stays up, no error messages on the cluster, ensure all electrics work like mirrors, heated seats, dynamic seats, parking sensors, glass roof. All can be expensive to put right.
Gearboxes are tough and I had zero issues. An ATF change at an indy is under £200 inc parts and labour.
AMG engines can use a bit of oil and its not uncommon to see up to a litre/1k miles. I was fortunate in only having to top up once in over 20k miles. Look out for blue smoke on acceleration.

Check wheel arches the bottom of the doors and around the headlights for signs of rust. The 211 is generally pretty good from what I've seen compared to the W210.

I'd shy away from a car with cheapo ditch finder tyres. To me it shows an owner who skimps on quality. Finally, a good service history is important. Have the pugs been changed every 4 yrs/50k miles/ ATF should be done every 37k miles.
Its a really solid car that will give a lot of fun if you get a good one. Choose unwisely and it could cost you a lot of money to put right.

Going on to the W212 E63 Biturbo, as John above says, cracking car and honestly a step up in performance. If you are chasing big bhp, 700bhp+ and under 4 sec 0-60 can be achieved for about £700.
I loved the E55, but if you budget allows, go for the later W212 63. I think its a far better car but that is subjective.
You won't be disappointed whichever model you choose.

Nearly forgot, this thread helped me no end when I was looking for my E55 back in 2013.
https://forums.mbclub.co.uk/threads/w211-e55-some-essential-questions.140603/#post-1588581
Roger, I’m officially disappointed!
Where is the gratuitous link to a certain TV series & delectable young lady... c’mon now

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Roger, I’m officially disappointed!
Where is the gratuitous link to a certain TV series & delectable young lady... c’mon now

Lol, Its here somewhere. I'll take a look.

Edit. The thread was June 2018. I can only go back to mid 2019 when I believe the software was updated. A shame if prior threads can''t be accessed.
Russell? Can it be done by us mere mortals?

Last edited:
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's good to hear. I like comments from people who have had one for either a number of year or covered lots of miles in one, rather than someone who just finances something for a short duration and luckily has nothing go wrong.

I do prefer the older (simple stuff) hence the CLS/E55K. I'd accept getting some niggles put right at cost so long as the mechanicals are robust, so good to hear that this is the case. I'd look at keeping the car standard and would only consider something with low number of owners and complementing history. (Even the older stuff I bought, when they were some 12-15 years old were all 2 and 1 owner cars, with a wallet of history and have been reliability bliss for it).

I don't really like the styling or quality of materials on modern stuff but, appreciate the advances in performance. An early shape 5.5 could be a contender but, the complexity, problems with modern stuff like the reports on BMW M5 F10 are what discourage me parting with cash for them.

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Had my MY2005 E55k for almost five years. Have always looked after it, serviced annually and always used MB parts, have had no real issues.
It drives really nicely and gets up and goes when asked. Fuel consumption isn’t the best, av 20 mpg but hey, it has the cheaper road tax (£325 ish) too being 2005.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Had my MY2005 E55k for almost five years. Have always looked after it, serviced annually and always used MB parts, have had no real issues.
It drives really nicely and gets up and goes when asked. Fuel consumption isn’t the best, av 20 mpg but hey, it has the cheaper road tax (£325 ish) too being 2005.

It's not that fast though... I've been stuck behind it on a few occasions...:cool::p:D

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I don't really like the styling or quality of materials on modern stuff but, appreciate the advances in performance. An early shape 5.5 could be a contender but, the complexity, problems with modern stuff like the reports on BMW M5 F10 are what discourage me parting with cash for them.

If you do consider the pre facelift W212 E63, try to get the 5.5 Biturbo version, not the 6.2n/a, especially a pre 2011 without the head bolt revision done.. You would be better served in an E55 in all honesty.
The M156 6.2 engine is very good, but suits the C63 far better than the E class IMHO.

Reactions: DSK
OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you do consider the pre facelift W212 E63, try to get the 5.5 Biturbo version, not the 6.2n/a, especially a pre 2011 without the head bolt revision done.. You would be better served in an E55 in all honesty.
The M156 6.2 engine is very good, but suits the C63 far better than the E class IMHO.

I drove the 6.2 V8 in that E-class. The only good thing was an upto date chassis but other than that, i was underwhelmed. The power was too far up in the revs to enjoy it on the road, the steering was vague dead centre, sport mode was ok but anything more and it was a pointless lurching on/off switch, didn’t feel special inside or tickle my fancy. So yes the 5.5 without the gaping front bumper would be the one to search for me.

I think I need to track both a kompressor and biturbo down at a dealer and see which, tickles me. I’m not in a rush, just buying as I’m bored, so will take my time as anything I buy, I keep.

I remember watching that on 5th gear on TV.... nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Thank you, nice to hear reassuring things with regards to the kompressor. Glad to hear of happy motoring for years! The one thing I like is that when there are not many ever for sale (unlike the M5 which is where my heart is), it shows that those who have them would seemingly be happy with them and keeping them.

Do you get left alone by other drivers or do they want to race?

(I had an approved BMW M5 in 1999 and then an E39 M5 brought privately. The first needed a new engine at 30,000 miles and was a 6 month plus legal battle. The second was ok on the face of it but family friend who rebuilt a lot of these at the dealers was not reassuring and I had a fragile cooling system,leaky gaskets and engine sensors here and there. Yet my 20 year old Volvos and Supra don’t burn oil, (only a touch needed when tracked), don’t loose coolant, don’t have niggling issues, don’t need anything outside servicing and don’t skip a beat whether they sit for hours on the m25 or trek up and down the M1. This is why I can’t accept crap quality and headaches with dealers and independents no more.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wearsafoxhat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E55k :S211, SL500 :R129 , V220
Do I get left alone by other drivers....

Yes, my E55k is an un badged wagon, so goes pretty much unnoticed which suits me.
The only clue is the four chrome exhaust tips, but they could be add ons..

Decline more offers when in my R129, though do accept a few that I can knowingly surprise

OP
D

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMGEED - sadly black is not my cup of tea. (My UK Supra is black but with those you have to take what you can get. I love it immediately after washing/detailing it. By the next day, the sight of the slightest dust particle against black annoys me!)

I have seen a silver CLS55 advertised on Autotrader, saved it to the list and will take look after lock down restrictions if its still unsold and keep an eye for any other contenders.

Wearsafoxhat - that's positive to hear as it would be nice to drive something different in which people just leave you alone and get on with their business.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom