Steve Martin the man with two brains.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Isn't this thread about a cheap S202 which is a lovely estate car

Yes it is... tbh the dealer bother me more than the car. Hard to put a finger on anything tangible. Seems like a lack up and if you want to see a car you phone him and meet him there.

sent from my Galaxy Note 8 via Tapatalk

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Yes it is... tbh the dealer bother me more than the car. Hard to put a finger on anything tangible. Seems like a lack up and if you want to see a car you phone him and meet him there.

Who cares, you're buying a car, not a dealer experience.

it's a cheap runabout car...part service history, misdescriptions, mileage, etc are irrelevant. All that matters is recent expensive parts, when the last service was and how it is mechanically...if it's near you check it out.

if not i'm sure you could find something like that a lot cheaper, particularly if you say you don't mind ones with dents and scratches as these go for practically nothing in the uk no matter how good the mechanics are.

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Who cares, you're buying a car, not a dealer experience.

it's a cheap runabout car...part service history, misdescriptions, mileage, etc are irrelevant. All that matters is recent expensive parts, when the last service was and how it is mechanically...if it's near you check it out.

if not i'm sure you could find something like that a lot cheaper, particularly if you say you don't mind ones with dents and scratches as these go for practically nothing in the uk no matter how good the mechanics are.
having being diddled before i am v wary about who i deal with... i once bought a renault clio for my son ..spent more money keeping it on the road after a week than i spent buying it.. i ended up taking the guy to the small claims court....and that was painful..so yes it is important...even at that price.. i am not financially struggling but the thought of chucking away the best part of £1k whiulst it wont cause me an issue is something i am keen to avoid...

and yes the guy is about 70 miles away too which is a pita for that price of car...

Last edited:

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
having being diddled before i am v wary about who i deal with... i once bought a renault clio for my son ..spent more money keeping it on the road after a week than i spent buying it.. i ended up taking the guy to the small claims court....and that was painful..so yes it is important...even at that price.. i am not financially struggling but the thought of chucking away the best part of £1k whiulst it wont cause me an issue is something i am keen to avoid...

and yes the guy is about 70 miles away too which is a pita for that price of car...

At that price you aren't going to get a dealer warranty anywhere and any car would be sold as seen, so you couldn't go to the small claims court anyway. Hence I'd be putting my effort into checking out the car rather than judging the seller

The worse car i ever bought (Peugeot 406 with £2k of faults i found out after 1 week of ownership and then sold on) was from the nicest private buyer and middle class family ever. It didn't mean the car wasn't rubbish, similarly when i sold the car at my parents rather nice address the seller probably thought it was OK too. The point is both times the car was sold cheaply as seen from respectable people but it's exactly that, sold as seen. Do i feel guilty for shifting it on and do i feel bad about the previous owner selling it to me, no, it was sold as seen both times and my only regret (and probably the next owner's too) is that not enough time was spent test driving the car and too much time was spent looking at the history, people selling it etc.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
As long as that car starts and drives now, the worsed you are likely to experience is next MOT time a big list of work needing to be done, in which case you sell on ebay as spares/repair for £400, so you wont have lost much. Anything else going wrong in the meatime deeming the car un-driveable is highly unlikely.. but as said before not impossible with any used car you buy.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Just to add, the 1st car I ever bought was a w123 diesel estate. I bought it from some guy out of a shed, turned up to the car already warmed up and running, crap-hole little 'office' the guy had... i would have probably walked away now, but I had that car for a couple of years and put about 30k miles on it and never had to do a thing to it, it was fantastic

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
Going to be honest here, I only "know" you from reading your posts and I get the impression you're not comfortable at all with buying/owning old runaround cars so why put your self through it?

Neither would I be by the way!

deejaybee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Now - W210 E320cdi
Buying old cars does take a different approach and attitude, so you really need to make sure that is what you really want to do?

If you do decide to go ahead spend £5 on a basic check to make sure its not nicked etc then just go and have a good look at it and most importantly try to drive it for at least 10 miles - that will show up most faults which you won't see from just going round the block.

Remember that if you can get it for around £700 its worth at least £300+ as scrap, so you havn't exactly got a whole lot at stake if it turns out for the worst.

If you do buy it just take it to your local friendly general garage and ask them to give it a check and/or MOT - that will be a cheap way to make sure there isn't anything important wrong with it that you missed.

Good luck:)

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Gkinghorn, Do you have a reg No that looks like your user name at a quick glance? If so I saw you last week on the Worcester Alcester x roads at the A435. You were turning right towards Worcester and I was doing a Let / Right towards Alcester. If not just ignore this post.

Last edited:
OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Normally you would be right but this one is literally to cart stuff around locally so I can't be too choosy for what will be a tip mobile and dog transporter.

However at the same time I have no desire to buy something with an impending fault (been there and done that).

Nd no that wasn't my personalised plate. Mine is a bit more Subtle ;)

discoking

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Your Mercedes
1985 500SEL
New bonnet star,bit of paint and good interior clean and that could easily sit on my forecourt for £1499 aslong as long as it's a proper genuine car. Bit of bargain at the price he's asking imo.

BAZZER1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320cdi AVANTGARDE SELECT
Worth a look, take it for a spin, haggle a bit on the price and its make your mind up time. I wouldn't be without my Estate e320cdi great load capacity and loads of room when we take the Kids out.
Best regards
BAZZER1:)

wheelie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E280 Sport
I know I shouldn't mention others on here... But if you a practical, reliable work-horse type of car, I'd be tempted by an old Scooby Impreza wagon.

Also gives you a winter warrior, and they're bullet-proof.

+1 Agreed

OP
Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This one appears to have a large hole where the fog light sits on the nearside front... check the picture... Still a possibility for me but cant get there for a while ..hopefully something will come up closer... saw a 100k 528i BMW estate for 1200 looks rather nice too

Top Bottom