Advice re buying a "tuned" CL500

MikeKnivett

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CL 500
Hi everyone

Haven't had a Merc for a few years but fancy a 2007 onwards CL

I got pipped to the post on one today but have also been looking at another one but wanted to ask some questions and get some advice

The car in question is

http://www.samsonscarsales.co.uk/us...-auto-amg-sports-pack-bedford-201312090428546

Now there's some conflicting colours of trim and wheel sizes but I've spoken to the dealer and asked him about the tuning package.

He says the car belonged to a chap that worked for Merc and the tuning and AMG exhaust etc was done by Merc from brand new.

Does anyone know if this was/is a service Merc offered as I don't particularly want some cheap aftermarket chipped engine?

I'm also hoping the amg badges can come off back and sides as I don't mind the exhausts but to have fake badges is not really my thing.

Any advice or answers greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mike

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
It's a CL500 with fake badges.

Your vehicle (registration DX57TNZ) has been identified as a MERCEDES PETROL COUPE (CL 500 AUTO).

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I agree with Television dosent look right at all.

22K miles in 6 years & the back wheel looks as I its been hand painted.

Only one owner from new ask to see the log book & clock the origional owner.

There is a dealers name on the reg plate might be worth ringing them.

All in all very suspious.

silver CL55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W216 CL500 2008. R230 SL350 2005
I'm also looking at CL's, preferably a 63.
I agree it does not look right.
The back alloys on an AMG III wheel should be "dished", these are flat. (aftermarket?)
It looks like a recent tyre change rather than paint to me.

With the badges off it may look better, "one previous owner" means 2 owners.

I'd prefer a standard CL500 (which is 5.5L), with factory AMG body kit

C.

The Pan Man

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E 500 A/G Classic colour combination.
Even the exhausts don't look quite right. Also have a look at the "Trading Hours" for me there ain't no barge pole long enough.

OP
M

MikeKnivett

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CL 500
Ok thanks Chaps.

I was getting the feeling to steer clear so thanks for all the advice.

This is another I've been looking at

http://www.mercedes-benzretailgroup.co.uk/mercedes-benz-used-cars/used/35784/mercedes-benz-cl-class

Out of interest one comment was very few options, what are desirable options on these cars and is this second car a better bet?

There are a couple of CL600's around at similar money but have been put off these due to running costs, many reviews say they are way more expensive to run and maintain than a 500 would you all agree?

This seems to me to be a nice 600 for example

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401080890626

I'll only be doing 10-12k miles pay but don't want to be opening myself up to crippling bills.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
( All the badges on the car to make it look what it is not. I only paid £25k for mine with virtually every extra and 39k miles 19 months ago.

That is a terrible false advert, there is nothing designo on the car at all, I would bet that the steering wheel and reversing camera have been added, other than that the fully loaded bit, not 1 thing, in other words missing 10 of the most popular extra's

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ok thanks Chaps.

I was getting the feeling to steer clear so thanks for all the advice.

This is another I've been looking at

http://www.mercedes-benzretailgroup.co.uk/mercedes-benz-used-cars/used/35784/mercedes-benz-cl-class

Out of interest one comment was very few options, what are desirable options on these cars and is this second car a better bet?

There are a couple of CL600's around at similar money but have been put off these due to running costs, many reviews say they are way more expensive to run and maintain than a 500 would you all agree?

This seems to me to be a nice 600 for example

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201401080890626

I'll only be doing 10-12k miles pay but don't want to be opening myself up to crippling bills.

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

The first one has not one thing other than cooled seats.

The second one the 600 has got a nice spec but not everything.

There are slight differences over the years, the first was very late 2009 where road signs and white line assist were added as extra's. Different mirrors and grill.

You could be just as well off with a 2007 -2009 CL500 car, they are fast, 0 to 60 in 5.5 seconds, fuel average 24 to 30mpg.

The options were, 1 = nice, 2 = OK this is for things that I like :D

Distronic cruise 1
Comfort seats 1
Night vision 2
rear blind 2
Television 2
Harmon sound 1
AMG body 1
Keyless go 1
Wood steering wheel 1
Reverse camera 2

Life can be hard in finding what you want, the mercedes dealer do not list what the cars have and in the main they do not many with any extra's

Other car dealers say the cars are fully loaded,by quoting all the standard things, and in reality they do not have one thing.

What ever you find just keep posting the links and we will do our best to point you to the right car.

Please ask away about any extras that you may like.

OP
M

MikeKnivett

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CL 500
Malcolm thanks for the detailed reply. You're right it's a ****** nightmare as all independents list as fully loaded and then quote all standard stuff.

The 2009 one seems to have the revised mirrors as different indicators to the 2007 ones?

Would this mean it is the slight facelift?

To be honest it seems to have the comfort seats and the 20" AMG's and body kit which along with the colours are fairly much what I'm looking for.

Do you have an opinion on the 600s running costs ?

My max budget is only around 24k as have been spending far too much on my m3 trackcar over the winter so trying to be sensible now!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Malcolm thanks for the detailed reply. You're right it's a ****** nightmare as all independents list as fully loaded and then quote all standard stuff.

The 2009 one seems to have the revised mirrors as different indicators to the 2007 ones?

Would this mean it is the slight facelift?

To be honest it seems to have the comfort seats and the 20" AMG's and body kit which along with the colours are fairly much what I'm looking for.

Do you have an opinion on the 600s running costs ?

My max budget is only around 24k as have been spending far too much on my m3 trackcar over the winter so trying to be sensible now!

The 600 was fazed out about 2008 ish, it had the old engine, very thisty, I would avoid.

Yes the mirrors on the first one did point to being the first little upgrade.

The AMG body kit does make the car look much better as it is wider at the bottom front bumper skirt.

The comfort seats with the dynamic function are first class, always a must for me.

Mine came with the 20" AMGs but I prefer the ride on 18" but a personal thing.
Keyless go is not a must have but nice.

I will only have cars now with the distronic CC you can see if a car has this as the grill star will have a plastic cover, you can see this in the pictures.

Mileage wise not that important, many around with 50k ish.

The prices of the newer ones have fallen fast this past few months and have caught up with the older ones. This is what makes buying and prices very hard to work out. A dealer who has had one in stock for a few months will not be anywhere near as competitive on the price as a dealer who has just bought one in.

The colour, black looks so nice but much harder than a common mercedes silver, silver stays clean for the best part, there is the middle of the road a nice dark grey. White not good in my view.

This is mine on 20"

This is on SL 18" wheels

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL600

Urban 12.9mpg
Extra urban 27.7mpg
Combined 19.5mpg

You must use 98 ron fuel.
0 to 60 4.4 seconds
CL500
Urban 15.3mpg
Extra urban 32.5 mpg
Combined 23mpg
95 ron fuel

0 to 60 5.5 seconds

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This ones around but don't like the wheels and again says air con seats but they don't look like the perforated ones to me
http://www.hoddesdonmotorcompany.co...uto-amg-sports-pack-hoddesdon-201312160559888

You would think trading standards would insist on accurate descriptions!

That car has all you want, distronic the lot and super sound, yes the seat look like Nappa but the symbol on the door shows cooled seats, I have nappa, but not cooled seats.

The wheels are the AMG's a very well liked wheel by most members on here.

The mileage is good, I would take a look at it, not so far away from you.

DSB SL AMG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
300SL (R129 1992 Pre-Facelift), Volvo V70 D5 SE Auto
Totally agree on this...nearly all dealers quote fully loaded on standard items, you need to compile a check list of your optional spec 'wants', that way you can then search your target cars....

When I am in the market for one...FMBSH / or known indie, Black, AMG kit, 20" wheels, keyless go, distronic, comfort seats, upgrade hi/fi, would be a 'must' for me...it took best part of 6 months for me to find correct spec E55k, better to wait then buy a car that does not tick all boxes...

Do a wanted advert as well on all UK MB forums etc...this worked for me!

OP
M

MikeKnivett

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 CL 500
Hi Malcolm, I like the wheels just not the colour, in some pics they look almost black?

I've read through spec but can't see distronic, how can you tell that?

Television your 20 inch wheels are stunning. If I went for the one with the dark AMGs can they be refinished in normal silver or am I looking at a new set of wheels?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Totally agree on this...nearly all dealers quote fully loaded on standard items, you need to compile a check list of your optional spec 'wants', that way you can then search your target cars....

When I am in the market for one...FMBSH / or known indie, Black, AMG kit, 20" wheels, keyless go, distronic, comfort seats, upgrade hi/fi, would be a 'must' for me...it took best part of 6 months for me to find correct spec E55k, better to wait then buy a car that does not tick all boxes...

Do a wanted advert as well on all UK MB forums etc...this worked for me!

I studied all the pics :D You can see the Harmon badge, cooled seats on door switch, distronic on the star, keyless go with the silver cover on the switch, night vision on the light switch, you cannot see comfort seats.

These have the 7g gearbox much better suited to larger engines, there have been cases of a jerky gearbox, to test just do 6 or more very gentle starts and you should feel nothing as the box changes, do the same again with some hard starts, you should feel nothing, mine is superb :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I heard they make little or no noticeable difference anyway.

I had them in my SL500 and I agree, very hard to detect any change :D

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hi Malcolm, I like the wheels just not the colour, in some pics they look almost black?

I've read through spec but can't see distronic, how can you tell that?

Television your 20 inch wheels are stunning. If I went for the one with the dark AMGs can they be refinished in normal silver or am I looking at a new set of wheels?

Distronic, you can see the reflections in the grill Star

Wheels, they are expensive at £5k per set, most wheels lend themselves to refurbishing to other colours and many choices in the powder coating these days

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom