Airbag warnibg light on for 2 minutes?

odyseus

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a 1993 C220 Auto. After replacing some dashboard bulbs, I noticed the airbag light comes on for a couple of seconds, then go out for a couple of seconds then stays on for approximately 2 minutes (before going and staying off)?

I thought that maybe I had disturbed some wiring or the ECU detected a fault (ie when the dashboard was removed) as I didn't disconnect the battery?

However, I got a auto electrician to 'reset' the warning only to be told it won't reset and I would need to be taken to a dealer.

Are there any possibilities to what the fault might/could be?

There are two airbags, and each seatbelt inertial reel has a sensor. There is the ECU and the wire coil in the steering column (supplying the airbag).

There are NO connections to the seat (As the this model is quite old), the wiring and connector are bound up and never used.

It would be nice to check a few things out before the 'dreaded' visit to the dealer which IS always expensive :(

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
If the SRS bulb is removed & replaced the system will have to be reset at the dealers.

For this reason it is best to disconect battery before removing instrument panel. Then all you have to do is re-set the windows.

OP
O

odyseus

Reaction score
That's what I thought but the Auto Electrician said that although he cleared the fault with his diagnostic tool, as soon as the ingnition was turned on the fault condition re-appeared, so he said it was a dealer only repair. I was a bit niffed as I had to pay £35 for his time??

pascal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl320/1999/3.2
Well you can write to him to tell him he should have disconected the battery before removing. You can tell him that you got this information from an expert.:arrow:
:) An expert house builder!:)and maybe he'll he pay for the reset at MB:)

Last edited:

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i was told the definition of an expert is.. and ex is a has been and a spurt if a drip under pressure.

so tell the guy you have contacted mercedes benz and he may think twice before he argues. it isnt a lie. we are the mercedes benz onwers association....you just didnt get round to making to whole statement. if he had waited till you had got your breath back you would have said it but he rattled on.....you see where i am going?

I am not sure you should pay for someone to say they had repired something and then find that they tell you it is someone elses fault. you dont just pay for peoples time. you pay for their knowledge and in this case that was lacking.

OP
O

odyseus

Reaction score
Unfortuneately, the wife was in when the mobile Auto electrician (Airbags being one of his specialities!) turned up?! Had I been there I would have asked if there was any fault code?. I'll be pretty annoyed if I take the car to the dealer only to be told all they had to do was reset the fault.

SLinKyjoe

Reaction score
i am assuming here. but did he say he could reset the system for you, then when he got there he was unable to do so and suggested you take it to a dealer and then charged you? did he also say he would charge a call out fee reagrdless of whether he is able to fix it or not? Was he fully aware of the make and model of the vehicle in question? Was it explained to him exactly what had been done for the problem to arise?

if so you have accepted his terms as a contract, and has a right to charge for attendance, call out ect.

if not this means he has been charging for work he is knowingly unable to do and that is fraud whichever way you look at it. You are not allowed to say you will come and fix something, turn up and be unable to fix it and then charge for this. His contract with you, verbal or otherwise, was that he would be able to fix it. he failed. his cost.

He should have advised you of all the options available before allowing you to agree to his attendance of which will be charged.

I am not suggesting he is a con man. just making sure that the facts are in place before you either attempt to reclaim it through a nice letter, then pursue him thru the small claims court (which will cost £35, but you get that back if you win) or whether you put it down to an expensive lesson in the university of life.

OP
O

odyseus

Reaction score
I certainly fully explained the fault occurred at the same time I took out the dashboard and gave him full details of my car.

He told the wife that he could reset the fault using his 'gear' but that the fault re-appeared. Therefore, he said there must be fault with one of the airbag components and the car had to be taken to the dealer.

From what I have read though is that a component fault would cause the srs warning light to stay on all the time.

And the 2 minute lighting of the srs light shows there was a fault that is now clear, but the fault has to be cleared on the ECU??

I guess I'll put this down to experience, but as I really hate going to the dealers (attitude, cost etc) I wanted to try somebody else first..

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom