AirCon compressor clutch

rnd76

Reaction score
Hi, Finally got a 04 SLK 230K (R170). Need some advice. Aircon not working. I had a recharge (with a professional machine) and still get non cooled air out of the vents. The compressor clutch does not engage. I looked at the fuses but can not find a AC designation on the maps of the cabin fuse box or the fuse box under the bonnet. Is there one? Also, where is the relay located?
Any other ideas why the system is not working will be welcome.

EdGasket

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C180 Esprit 1999
I have a similar problem; see Air con not working thread just down the page. It could be a number of things. You could undo the compressor connector and put 12v straight to it to make sure that the clutch will engage as a start. Last year I got mine working by thoroughly cleaning up all fuse and relay contacts associated with the air con but I have the Davia system; yours might be genuine MB. See what the green label says on the front under the bonnet. There will be several fuses and relays involved plus sensors and a pressure switch. GL.

aycee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Black CLS350 W218, Blue SLK320 R170, Silver A Class W169
The clutch will not work if there is insufficient pressure in the system. Are you sure the system pressure is holding up? I had similar problems and it turned out to be a minute hole in the condenser. If the system was re charged using a dye you should be able to see if there are any leaks with a UV light. If it is the condenser heres how I did it.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?p=744988#post744988

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Any 04 car will not have a clutch on the compressor

OP
R

rnd76

Reaction score
update.
compressor fubar. New one installed and got cold air again.

Top Bottom