Alloy wheel bolts stolen?

MKCambs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Coupe/16
I hope it is ok to post this here, if not, apologies.

I have a C-Class Coupe 2016 with 19 inch alloy wheels.

I recently took the car for an MOT to Kwikfit Bar Hill (Cambridge), as the dealer was not currently offering MOT due to building works.

During the MOT check, Kwikfit called me and said that 3 bolts (yes, 3!) were missing from one of the wheels!

It is a bit strange because the car was serviced by the dealer just 2 days ago!

So, I am left thinking is it the dealer, Kwikfit, or someone else (thieves?) who removed the bolts?

I am wondering if anyone had bolts stolen from their car or heard of a similar story before?

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Very strange?

Why would anyone remove the wheels for a service unless brake components were being changed?

Maybe some one was trying to steal your alloy(s) and got disturbed?

I guess you'll never know :)

OP
M

MKCambs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Coupe/16
Very strange?

Why would anyone remove the wheels for a service unless brake components were being changed?

Maybe some one was trying to steal your alloy(s) and got disturbed?
Yes, that also comes to mind. Plausible, because the special lock bolt (and another one) were not removed.
I guess you'll never know :)
Probably, unfortunately.

OP
M

MKCambs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Coupe/16
But ..... .more to the question .... why would anyone take their car to Kwikfit for anything?:rolleyes:
Haha, very good question. I used them to replace tyres before (cheapest option for MOE tyres) and thought MOT would pass without much hassle, as the car had just been serviced.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Most likely scenario is the previous garage did not torque them correctly and they have fallen out.

gfromleeds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 c220
I've a box full of wheel bolts if you can hang on for postage

OP
M

MKCambs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Coupe/16
Most likely scenario is the previous garage did not torque them correctly and they have fallen out.
Yes, that is also possible, but they have claimed that they did not remove the bolts of that wheel at this service (?). I believe it was a "B" service. They did carry out a visual health check (that I have a report of) which of course did not mention any missing bolts or anything wrong with that particular wheel/tyre.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes, that is also possible, but they have claimed that they did not remove the bolts of that wheel at this service (?). I believe it was a "B" service. They did carry out a visual health check (that I have a report of) which of course did not mention any missing bolts or anything wrong with that particular wheel/tyre.
B service usually involves a brake fluid change, which involves removing the wheels.

Does seem coincidental if they did not remove the wheels.

OP
M

MKCambs

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 Coupe/16
B service usually involves a brake fluid change, which involves removing the wheels.

Does seem coincidental if they did not remove the wheels.
Hmm, interesting point.

I checked, and yes it was B service.

If they were supposed to change the brake fluid and therefore remove the wheels, does that mean that they either did not carry out the service properly or they are not telling the truth about not removing the wheels.

It's a shame having to question the workmanship and integrity of even the main dealers nowadays.

gfromleeds

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009 c220
Hmm, interesting point.

If they were supposed to change the brake fluid and therefore remove the wheels, does that mean that they either did not carry out the service properly or they are not telling the truth about not removing the wheels.

It's a shame having to question the workmanship and integrity of even the main dealers nowadays.
Is it not possible to get to the bleed nipples from underneath if its on a lift?

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Sadly the workmanship and integrity of main dealers is often questioned these days :(

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it not possible to get to the bleed nipples from underneath if its on a lift?

Most wheel designs make it difficult, when the car is on the ramp, why not just spend an extra 5 minutes per corner, remove the wheels, clean corrosion from spigots etc

Mark Q

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R 230 SL 500 2004 & Nissan Navara, Jag F-Pace, BMW Z4
Last year my Nissan went in for service to dealer. Then Went in for vibration issue, dealer removed all wheels tried balancing and swapped them around, Later in year had the engine replaced at same dealer (Sorted the vibration) . Early this year in for brake pads and the dealer rings me to tell me one of the locking wheel bolts is missing. They are the only ones that have touched my car, and they swapped the wheels around. If someone was going to steal a wheel I don't imagine they would just remove the locking wheel bolt, my theory, dealer didn't torque it up. I just paid up and didn't kick off as I got the engine replaced under warranty :)

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I removed all the locking bolts on all my cars because they either break (air guns) or someone forgets to give the locking nut back.
Regular bolts all round.
No one nicks alloys nowadays - they nick the whole car. Its easier.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Hmm, interesting point.

Brake fluid is not part of every B service. Its time, mileage based and invoiced as an extra.

Its not the first time a dealer hasn't carried out the service "properly"

Rob7seven

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2020 AMG C300
Brake fluid is not part of every B service. Its time, mileage based and invoiced as an extra.

Its not the first time a dealer hasn't carried out the service "properly"

Dealers have always asked if I want brake fluid changed, and as an MB B service is every two years I've always told them to go ahead. Since retirement my cars only do a small mileage, but brake fluid deteriorates with age, so low mileage doesn't preserve fluids. Can't dealers test the fluid without draining it all?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Dealers have always asked if I want brake fluid changed, and as an MB B service is every two years I've always told them to go ahead. Since retirement my cars only do a small mileage, but brake fluid deteriorates with age, so low mileage doesn't preserve fluids. Can't dealers test the fluid without draining it all?
Yes, with a moisture meter - you can get them yourself for ~£10 on the jungle website

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom