Always do proper car checks before buying! Use this site....

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
Please read this post and then scroll to the bottom for pictures...

You may already know this, but just wanted to point out a fantastic site I discovered which saved me a lot of pain and issues further down the line.

Basically, I was looking for a new car for my dad and saw a few but something just didnt hit the spot with the seller(s). To be honest, we were getting a bit desperate to find Dad a replacement car as the C-Class at the time decided to drop its pants and goosed its Oil Cooler, Starter Motor and Water Pump all at the same time. Ironically when it was fixed, it drove better than it ever has, but thats end of an era as its been fixed and since sold.

Anyway, this site, vcheck, found me the info I needed on the potential car(s) we were looking at: https://www.vcheck.uk.

It shows all the history and if the car has ever been in a Salvage Auction, with pictures of when it was advertised so you get to see all the damage at the time of salvage auction sale.

Now, I'm not adverse to buying a Cat-N (D) or Cat-S (C) vehicle, but as long as I know what was wrong with them prior.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The one I nealy bought for Dad was a Vauxhall Mokka, 2019/68-reg, 1.4T Auto. It was advertised on FaceAche but was local. I knew it was a Cat-S, but the seller claimed it was just drivers side wing, light, bumper and bonnet, no airbag damage and no suspension damage, and to be fair I have seen cars written off to a Cat-S category with much lesser damage so quite feasible its true. If I'm honest, the slightly (and only very slightly) poor paint job was only really affected on the driver wing and bonnet so seemed consistent with his description.

There were a few things I werent happy about, it had far too many owners and no service history, I was going to do my service history checks anyway with Vauxhall, etc, before I commited to a purchase.

Anyway, this car was a ghost, no Vauxhall garage had ever seen it in 5 years, and apparently it was straight from a Vauxhall factory to end customer (whoever that was) and then never seen for a service or recall, National, Halfords, nor KF, so tracing the service records was impossible, if at all it had any.
I did however take down the garage details off the back reg plate and contacted them, they wrote back to me to confirm my fears.

Long story short, the car had been clocked.
When it was sold at salvage auction on 10/08/2021 the miles were 41143, and when it was MOT'd 13/01/2022 the miles were 21809, and was now being sold with around 25k on it. The garage I contacted did a service on it and sold it in March 2021 with 38k on the clock.

Remember earlier I mentioned what the seller claimed was the damage?

Well this is what WAS actually wrong with it!! I assure you, its worth the wait...........

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 66
OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
The irony of this whole thing is that the drivers wing was actually untouched, yet that was the one panel that was badly painted.

On top of that, I have to admit that whoever repaired it, actually did a really good job, as apart from the slightly rougher paint in areas, the alignment was excellent.

I think I dodged a bullet there.

Moral of the story, do your checks please and also use that site, that initial check cost me £3.00 but saved me thousands!!

You can do a fuller check for £10.00 and thats I did when I actually bought my Dad's new car.

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
Wow I am amazed anyone bothered to fix that car, must have been a very skilled repair shop.

Certainly worth the £3.00 to do a check though.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Wow I am amazed anyone bothered to fix that car, must have been a very skilled repair shop.

"Fix" is probably a strong word... and if you can get the parts for free (ahem...;)) then it's pretty much all profit...:rolleyes:

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
I decided to try it out!

My Daimler was accident damaged when I bought it, with the damage being to the rear passenger side quarter. The chap I purchased it from was a retired chap who had intended to restore it, and I have always wondered exactly how it got damaged.

That above site is fantastic, it produced salvage yard photos within minutes, it was interesting to see Aston's Daimler in the yard with fresh damage.

Sadly it still does not give any explanation or clues of what happened...

I'll be using this site on all future car purchases though! - Much better than the HPI check I usually do, and it's actually cheaper to boot!

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI

Absolutely agree with you.
Genuienly, I was staggered with how good the repair was, and how well it drove, to the point where I asked myself if it was even the same car.

OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
OP
Vx-Man-G

Vx-Man-G

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-Class CDI
I decided to try it out!

My Daimler was accident damaged when I bought it, with the damage being to the rear passenger side quarter. The chap I purchased it from was a retired chap who had intended to restore it, and I have always wondered exactly how it got damaged.

That above site is fantastic, it produced salvage yard photos within minutes, it was interesting to see Aston's Daimler in the yard with fresh damage.

Sadly it still does not give any explanation or clues of what happened...

I'll be using this site on all future car purchases though! - Much better than the HPI check I usually do, and it's actually cheaper to boot!

Great stuff, glad its of use.

Since doing that £3.00 check, I have since used it when I bought dad's B Class, and also decided to just check my wifes car that I bought a few months ago.

For the sake of £3.00 for the initial check to reveal salvage info, its an absolute no brainer.

horatio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
190E, CLK
Wow that had a serious whack - both ‘frame’ rails mangled, left side looks tweaked inwards. It may have driven ok on a test drive but never align properly.

Have a look for Arthur tussik on YouTube, it’s frightening how straight the cars look at the end!

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
This one is for sale on Auto Trader, advertised with 78500 on clock, checking the pictures, appears on 64023 miles. Last MOT 11/04/22 : 76708 miles . Clocked or not clocked ??
eb6de0bf5f5f8a8e49cc7045bc42bba8.jpg

6cbdc36c95966ecf6efd5e06e494ee53.jpg

7a0553c1ee84f5a34f495c5268ce54b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
This one is for sale on Auto Trader, advertised with 78500 on clock, checking the pictures, appears on 64023 miles. Last MOT 11/04/22 : 76708 miles . Clocked or not clocked ??
eb6de0bf5f5f8a8e49cc7045bc42bba8.jpg

6cbdc36c95966ecf6efd5e06e494ee53.jpg

7a0553c1ee84f5a34f495c5268ce54b1.jpg

Old photo from when it was last sold?

axelcls

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes w218 CLS63 AMG now gone, RR Velar
Don’t make sense , I saved the car when was advertised, 2 weeks ago

C16RKC

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Your Mercedes
2003 CL500, 2007 S320CDi
Yes but sometimes dealers use photos from a year or two ago, when it sold to the last owner.

I know of people who realised photos were from a previous sale, due to missing parts that reappear for the photos.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
"Fix" is probably a strong word... and if you can get the parts for free (ahem...;)) then it's pretty much all profit...:rolleyes:

Some cars are purely bolted together.
A donor at hand, a lift, a couple of guys with air-tools - easy work

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Crumple zones on cars make them look much worse after a bash.

Years ago I had a Skoda Fabia. Lovely run about it was. Wife bashed it - looked like a dogs dinner - fixed and was fine.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It's a question of what gets damaged is it all the "sacrificial parts" or has it gone further?

Once you get to the "core" of the car I still don't see how even straightened it's okay after it has been bent.

An analysis and testing of straightened steel after accident is likely to show weakening.

I don't see the point for the often marginal savings.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom