Always mistrust the dealer

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
There are two types of business ‘those that want to save you money’ and ‘those that want to extract as much money as possible’ and unfortunately for us all the former seems to be in danger of becoming extinct. If the public either don’t understand this or aren’t prepared to call it out things will only get worse and what guile’s me is that this is all done under the heading of enhanced customer service. Business to business wouldn’t operate on this basis as there would be no trust but the customer is classed as fair game

My children are now in their thirties and well aware of most of the cynical practices out there thankfully but it does add to the conversation occasionally

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I had similar with Mercedes Preston. Passed MOT there with no advisories. 1000 miles later when they serviced it I was told discs and pads needed as 100% worn.
Pulled aftersales managed and asked how 1000 miles did it and he said the technician noted they were 50% worn which in their eyes means they need replacing. When asked how can that be and how can you justify bssically theft the pads were changed for free.
Discs were fine they then decided as has been confirmed elsewhere.
Ah yes the good old Marshall Group, Preston. They wanted what amounted to £600 labour charge for replacing the front discs and pads on the CL, a one hour job.( The brakes were "dangerous" despite having gone through MOT 2 weeks previously) Local Indie charged me £45 + VAT.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Ah yes the good old Marshall Group, Preston. They wanted what amounted to £600 labour charge for replacing the front discs and pads on the CL, a one hour job.( The brakes were "dangerous" despite having gone through MOT 2 weeks previously) Local Indie charged me £45 + VAT.

I think we could be talking about the same group, though not Preston ;)

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
To be fair to Mercedes I have never had a problem. However Tyre & Exhaust firms are a completely different ball game.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think we could be talking about the same group, though not Preston ;)
We'll see what Marshall group say when the car is serviced in the next couple of weeks. Brand new front discs and pads which should have been solid 24ct for what they cost. I'm expecting the 18year old female "service adviser" on the phone telling me the rear pads and discs are about to disintegrate and immediate renewal is required. At least I get a laugh out of it.

goldy

Reaction score
Website
www.goldsmithmortgages.co.uk
Your Mercedes
2019 W213
They are a shambles of a dealers.

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
I have just bought from Marshall’s of Preston and could not fault the service from the salesman and all the staff, you have to speak as you find.

OP
EmilysDad

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I have just bought from Marshall’s of Preston and could not fault the service from the salesman and all the staff, you have to speak as you find.
Likewise when I bought my R Class from them ..... but sales & service depts seem to be somewhat different. ;)

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You would hope that there wouldn't be any fault in the service when you are handing over sacks full of shekels to a salesman. No it's after the sale that problems seem to arise and when dealers often let the side down.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB Cheshire oaks and Liverpool in service terms I’ve found decent to be honest :)
I'm tempted to try the new £60m MB Stockport and see whether the Chinese have sorted out customer service. You can apparently drink yourself into a stupor at their licensed bar while you wait for someone to attend to you. Whatever next?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'm tempted to try the new £60m MB Stockport and see whether the Chinese have sorted out customer service. You can apparently drink yourself into a stupor at their licensed bar while you wait for someone to attend to you. Whatever next?
Maybe they’ll drive you home ?:rolleyes:

Jkh112

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 Bluetec estate
I had similar from my local MB dealer last year.
I dropped the car off in the morning for a service and MOT.
They called me a few hours later to say the rear tyres were dangerous and needed replacing so should they go ahead and fit two new tyres.
I asked if the MOT had been done and they didn’t k now the answer, just that the tyres were dangerous. I asked them to call back with the MOT result before I would agree to any additional cost.
It was not until much later that day I took a call when they told me the car was ready to collect and the MOT had passed.
Upon collection I asked about the tyres and was told the mechanic was using the service guidance to check the tyres in the morning which are different to the MoT standard used in the afternoon.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I had similar from my local MB dealer last year.
I dropped the car off in the morning for a service and MOT.
They called me a few hours later to say the rear tyres were dangerous and needed replacing so should they go ahead and fit two new tyres.
I asked if the MOT had been done and they didn’t k now the answer, just that the tyres were dangerous. I asked them to call back with the MOT result before I would agree to any additional cost.
It was not until much later that day I took a call when they told me the car was ready to collect and the MOT had passed.
Upon collection I asked about the tyres and was told the mechanic was using the service guidance to check the tyres in the morning which are different to the MoT standard used in the afternoon.
I had to laugh when a forum member got a text from the MB dealer stating that his CL needed 4 new tyres because they were "bold on the outside". Cheeky tyres they were....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
You can blame it all on the curse of sales targets, so little margin on new car sales nowadays they’ve got to get the numbers right on after sales. I’m particularly wary of a secondhand car purchase circa 20k miles as at the next service you are likely to be caught with the cost of discs and pads all round. My son bought a 16 plate W213 @ 17k miles and the pads were already noisy on the discs so as a condition of sale the dealer replaced all discs and pads which sweetened the deal somewhat

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
The whole thing has become a "monopoly" game which would be funny if it did not involve taking boatloads of wonga from the Great British Public!

I served many years in the motor industry and did business worth many £000's on a handshake or often only on a verbal handshake. That level of trust started to go down the tubes during Maggie's time in No 10 when the (accountants) lunatics took over the asylum and I don't think we've ever recovered from that period.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Just read the first post and it rang a bell.
I find with the S class, dollar signs twinkle in the eyes of the dealer. my w220 is still dealer serviced (only for mobilo). I supply oil and they do only whats required per service. Most other bits I do myself or via my Merc Indy.
A few years ago the dealer said exactly the same. Its a huge money maker for the dealer. The cost of disks pads is say 200 and they charge the same if not more for labour.
Of course I said no they dont need doing (not part of my service stratergy). My indy checked them, said what a load of bo***cks. 2 years later I am still on the same pads (half the meat left) and the disks are now showing a very minor lip.

By the way, when this happens I always make a point to highlight this to MB UK, they always call after each sevice, part of customer satisfaction. Somehow I am sure this is alwys relled back to the dealer to call me after and apologise. Dealers hate getting acall from MBUK for complains.

Then again I can be a miserable sod!

Last edited:
Top Bottom