AMG 20" wheels-refurb question/advice

steveirl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
A few months ago I bought a SL55AMG fitted with beautiful 20" wheels, I would guess they were a (very expensive) option!
They are in need of a refurb, and are grey in colour, with the front of the spokes diamond cut finish and clear coated. Along with the kerb damage, there is oxidation on the edge of the spokes where the paint and clear coat finishes meet. This leads me to believe that if I get them refurbed to the original colour combination, that this leakage in the finish will happen again, and one or two people have advised me to get them finished in just one paint finish (silver) to avoid this happening?
What is the advice here?
I have attached a picture.
Steve
sl2.jpg

Last edited:

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350
Yep the best thing to do is get them finish in silver all over

Diamond cut looks good but never lasts

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
as above, a laxquer finish on these wheels will never last, unless you live in a lovely climate.

when my alloys start doing the same, I will have them refinished in silver chrome.

HTH :)

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Steve

If you have them don the same the same problem will occur, to get a hard wearing coat on them have them powdercoated, you could have them all done in Grey or silver

OP
steveirl

steveirl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
Thanks guys for the advice, I will post up some pics when the work is done in case anyone is interested.
steve

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I have the same wheels on my CL, You can get the wheels re done in powder coat using the same dark grey for the sides of the spokes etc and a bright silver on the face,,, the cheap re furb firms will not do this but the good ones like Lepsons and the ones down where I am will, allow about £400 for the job

OP
steveirl

steveirl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
I have the same wheels on my CL, You can get the wheels re done in powder coat using the same dark grey for the sides of the spokes etc and a bright silver on the face,,, the cheap re furb firms will not do this but the good ones like Lepsons and the ones down where I am will, allow about £400 for the job
Thank you Malcolm, I have found a company here who also do powdercoating and will give them a shot at the wheels. It will probably be after the new year now!

OP
steveirl

steveirl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL55 AMG
I have just got the wheels back, and decided to go for the factory finish, with diamond cut face. The shop did tell me that this finish is more fragile, but we will see how it fares out over time. They have put a much heavier clearcoat on the rim after the face was cut, in fact to touch, the wheel feels almost like very hard plastic. Here are a few pics, colour is off as i took them with the phone on a dull day.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Looks like they have done a good job with them, like you say time will tell if they last, keep us up to date, would be nice to hear a good review if it lasts

MIW615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C200 SPORT & 230SLK
Must say the look good - had similar wheels done four years ago, sadly lasted only a couple of years until the corrosion started again. After some research I decided that the problem was caused by the extreem profile angle of the edges of the spokes etc. (there is not enough surface area for complete sealing of the laquer)

Decided to go the other way and have them painted chrome silver - they still look like new

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom